El Vergel

• Vegetarian
Contact 34-915471952

Pso de la Florida 53 (at Metro: Principe Pio, near Plaza de España and Casa de Campo park), Madrid, Spain,

Popular restaurant offers a large menu with vegan options clearly marked. Non smoking. Also a large health food store upstairs. Menu items served from 13.30-24.00.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by nottsvegan

Nice place, good food. - Edit

Good vegetarian restaurant with some vegan options and a daily menu.
Summertime, the terrace on the river is an appreciated plus.

Pros: Terrace, Vegan options, Daily menu

Nice Dinner - Edit

This restaurant was very close to our hotel, so we went for dinner one evening at 20:30hrs, only to be turned away as they did not open until 21:00hrs. The restaurant is downstairs below the store, and we sat indoors. I believe you can sit outside on the terrace, but there is a charge for this. We had the set meal which includes bread, drink and dessert. The food was a little salty, but overall, quite tasty and very filling! Our server was really friendly and helpful - the menu was in Spanish but he was more than happy to translate for us. The shop upstairs had a good selection of veggie/vegan items, which we would buy to have picnic lunches outdoors.

Pros: Good service, Nice food, Good value

Not a good choice for vegans - Edit

They serve a weekly menu which changes on Saturadays for 15,00€, or you can order à la carte. It's a good place for omnivores and vegetarians, but I wouldn't recommended it if you're a vegan. Most of the dishes have either dairy products (tons of cheese all over) or use egg as a binder (croquettes, veggie meatballs, etc.). The vegetarian dishes in the menu are marked with a "vegan choice" note. In my case that meant that a seitan cordon bleu surprisingly became plain sautéed seitan: no vegan cheese, no coat in vegan batter. I don't really think I'm coming back unless they change their cuisine

Pros: really nice location, helpful staff

Cons: vegetarian dishes poorly veganized, menu with only a vegan dessert

Definitely a bad choice - Edit

I won't come back: the quality of food was really really shabby. The palmito and avocado sauce salad didn't have palmitos nor avocado sauce, the paella with seaweed didn't have seaweed and the tofu-seitan brochette was just store bought tofu/seitan(without ANY seasoning) cutted and put on a stick!!Oh and vegan options are so poor!!!The service was bad, there were only two waiters for a lot of people and they were very stressed, not to say rude.

Pros: nothing

Cons: shabby quality of food, extremely poor vegan options, bad service

Really good menu - Edit

Cheap for an organic restaurant! The vegan options are not so varied, but they will "veganize" anything on the menu if you ask them to.

It would be great if they updated the menu and added some more vegan options though.

Pros: Price, Organic food, Location

Cons: Poor vegan options

Veganos, abstenerse - Edit

Hacía tiempo que no comía aquí y su calidad y opciones veganas han empeorado. La comida es muy simple y falta de recursos. Lo único pasable: el postre.

Pros: Precio

Cons: Tristes opciones veganas

Good vegetarian - Edit

Large store in main floor and restaurant in underground. Good vegetarian restaurant but few vegan options. Qualitty of food at moderate price. Friendly service. Easy to park with car. Close to Principe Pio train-metro station.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Poor vegan

never again - Edit

The service of "el vergel" was ominous. Were slow to respond and the waiters were rude. The only option was a vegan "risotto" without cheese. we found that it was a kind of supermarket frozen rice. They served us very little of that poor rice. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Pros: poor care, bad food, expensive

Cons: good area

cheap and good food - Edit

I haven't found another place where you get an organic vegetarian/vegan lunch for 8 Euro (evenings 10, weekend 12). Including a starter (don't know if they always serve it), two dishes, bread and water. I liked the food and it was always enough for me. Vegan dishes and options are marked and you have at least two of each dish. Only sad that that there is no vegan option for the "combined plate" with the biggest variety. Once I went there at 1pm when they opened and it took 45 minutes till we got served our food.

Pros: cheap, good, vegan options

Cons: took way too long once

Good - Edit

This is a great place to visit as part of a day out involving Goya's tomb and a drink at Casa Mingo (both directly opposite El Vergel).

Plenty of vegan options here, and the staff understood my terrible Spanish when I wasn't sure ("¿Es vegano?" "Si.") The food was pretty standard but pleasant, and it was the atmosphere and friendly service that made it a great experience for me.

The shop upstairs has vegan chorizo and other delights to add to your hotel's dubious continental breakfast.

Pros: Atmosphere and service, Location, Shop upstairs

Nice - Edit

Upstairs a veggie-shop, downstairs...where they cook all the goodies!The restaurant is orange themed: walls, decorations, paintings and even napkins. Candles at the tables with books to read if one likes. Relaxing. They offer daily menu for 10 euros which includes two main dishes, bread, drink and coffee or tea, quite a deal right?

Pros: relaxing, healthy

Cons: expensive if not daily menu

Ok place - Edit

I ate here in April 2011. The food, service and atmosphere was OK. With so many other wonderful raw/vegan/veg options in Madrid, I wouldn't particularly rush back here.

Pros: Shop and eat at the same place

Cons: Mediocre food & service

nice first dinner in Madrid - Edit

We were the only ones in the restaurant when we came in at about 18:00. Nobody else arrived until we left.

The service was slow but friendly and willing to help, although no English was spoken.

We ordered several dishes, which were of various quality. I would not recommend the pizza, but the paella we had was very nice, although not verybody at the table agreed. The stuffed peppers were nicely done. The salad was bland, but the oil and vinegar at the table helped to cure that.

I had a very nice organic wine and the kids had some nice fresh apple juice.

All in all not bad for a first vegeterian Spanish adventure

Pros: good variety of choices, freshness of the food, good value

Cons: quality varied per dish, no English

Microwave? - Edit

When you come in you are in this shop, which is open until 12 o`clock at night and has a good variety although it is very expenisive.
The Restaurant is downstairs and was very impressive, since it is a big place and has a very nice light surrounding the room with stons that seem of salt that have light inside.
That is about all that was fascinating.

The food was not even lukewarm and after I told them that they must have put it in the microwave, cause it came back: one half almost cooking the other half cold like before.
They didn't flavor the dish very well and served the tofu plain white without any kind of flavouring. That is a no go for me and I have better eaten at home an not paid that much money for the menu, which is not cheap.

I cannot recommend this place and be cautious if you go therer. Maybe they just had a bad day.

Pros: big, nice light, shop above

Cons: not flavoured food, not cheap, microwave

Nice, but limited vegan selection - Edit

I ate there at 11:30 pm on Thursday, October 25, 2007. The place is indeed pleasant and smoke free! However, the vegan selection is very limited. They have only menus in Spanish and the staff did not speak English. Only some of the deserts are marked as vegans. Regarding the other courses, one needs to figure it out from the list of ingredients in Spanish (which is not so difficult...).
The paella and fruit pie that I had were very tasty.
In summary, you can check it out if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go there especially.

Pros: Pleasant, tasty, open late

Cons: Limited vegan selection, Everything is in Spanish

Not bad - Edit

Ate here for lunch on a weekday and food wasn't bad but nothing special. Portions were a decent size and reasonably priced. Waitress was a little impatient at first as we struggled with our phrase book but was chattier later on. Neither of us were vegans but was noticeable that many dishes were suitable for vegans and clearly indicated by a 'v' symbol. Worth mentioning that you have to walk quite a way down the road if you're coming from the Principe Pio metro and not that well numbered - we thought it had closed down and almmost gave up at one point.

Pros: Good portions, OK food, lots of tables

Cons: Impatient staff

Great healthy, vegan food - Edit

A very popular and busy restaurant. We went on a Saturday afternoon and had to wait a while for a table. A nice place to relax after a walk in the Casa de Campo park. A large menu with vegan options clearly indicated. Fresh juices are nice. El Vergel is a short walk from Principe Pio train station, along the Paseo de Florida. If you are in the Casa de Campo, go to the Teleferico (cablecar) station (at the city end) and cross the bridge across the train lines, then turn left onto the Paseo de Florida.
There is a big, very well stocked health food shop here too.

Pros: Vegan options indicated, Lots of choice

Cons: Staff not very helpful

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Vergel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3371 times since Aug 2007.