First Review by Ken4057

Much better than Rancho Relaxo - Edit

Only came here to meet non-veg friends for brunch. Normally my gf and I would either go to the legendary Hibiscus or else King's Cafe or Urban Herbivore for brunch in Kensington Market.

The story is that the owners used to own a spice store in the market, and because the owner's Mexican home cooking was so good her friends suggested she start a restaurant. She then took over and reinvented the existing El Trompo restaurant.

They have a number of veggie items on the menu and other items that they will make vegan on request. Our server was very aware of the difference between vegan and vegetarian, and which items were okay for us to eat.

We had the veggie Alambres, a veggie stir-fry served with soft corn tortillas, of which they brought more out by the dozen. It had pineapple mixed in with the other typical Mexican veggies and was perfect for brunch.

We also had Hongo, fried mushrooms w coriander and onion which were delectable with the fresh guacamole and table sauces.

I'll probably go back sometime when I get a craving.

More authentic and a much better value than Rancho Relaxo, another Mexican place with a decent veg selection. Still love Rancho's deep-fried soy ice cream tho.

Pros: authentic, friendly, spicy

Cons: tiny patio

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Trompo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1013 times since Apr 2010.