El Sano Banano Village Hotel

• B&B B&B

Located on the main street in the heart of Montezuma, this hotel features 12 comfortable rooms that are economically priced just a few moments from the major attractions and beaches. Guests may also use the facilities at Ylang Ylang Beach Resort. Open .

First Review by Pura Vida Pantry

Review for the restaurant, not hotel - Edit

Awesome that there are several items marked on the menu as vegetarian or vegan but it was a bit confusing since some of the dishes were marked as vegetarian when it was pretty obvious that they were vegan as well. Ask questions! I was thrilled to see tofu scramble on a menu in Costa Rica! It was just ok but it could use some more flavor and the tofu should've been pressed since it was a little watery. It was marked as vegan but they included a slice of butter on the toast (it wasn't melted so I just pulled it off). The plantain dish was marked vegetarian but I had a server who spoke English well so I was able to ask a few questions and it was actually vegan (no cheese, sour cream or butter...score!). It was delicious!! My boyfriend got a burrito which he didn't love but it was ok. The backyard garden is really cute and the servers were very nice.

Great Location, Wonderful Vibe - Edit

First, let me admit that I did not stay at the hotel but I'm writing this review because I wished I did. During my 3 days in Montezuma, I ate every single meal at El Sano Banano restaurant because the food was so good! If you stay at their hotel, their delicious breakfasts are included. I got to know many members of the staff during my time here and all were outstanding.

Not only is the food geared toward vegans and vegetarians, they recycle everything under the sun, there are environmentally themed signs around, the outdoor dining in the rear garden is lovely, the photos at the entrance staircase the the hotel pay homage to the environmental founders and wildlife preservationists of the area. In short, the vibe is amazing.

The rooms at El Sano Banano are very plain and simple. But they're air conditioned! While in Montezuma, I stayed at Agua Vista which is deep in the forest a few miles up the hill. It was phenomenal during the day but miserable at night. Agua Vista has no air conditioning and you can't open the windows at night b/c the coatamundis (raccoon-type animals) break in through the screens not to mention the local robbers who break into hotel rooms at night to steal anything from passports, iPhones to clothes. In sum, the rooms at El Sano Banano might be small, but they're air conditioned, secure and centrally located. You can walk to all the restaurants, the beach, small grocery store, take a cab to the parks, book tour right downstairs and every night there is a free movie with dinner.

Return to Montezuma Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Sano Banano Village Hotel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2063 times since Feb 2012.