El Sano Banano Restaurant

506-2642-0638

downtown Montezuma, Montezuma, Costa Rica,

Serves meat, vegan options available. This cafe is part of the El Sano Banano Village Hotel. Menu includes vegan sushi, veggie curry, local dishes, fruit smoothies and juices, salads. Nightly movies shown. Open Mon-Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Costa Rican, Non-veg

First Review by teal_ocean

really delicious - Edit

The cooks here know what they're doing. My curry didn't look like the image on happy cow (see my upload for reference) but it was really delicious and my coco spiraling drink was also heavenly with the heat. I would definitely eat here again!

Pros: in middle of town, clearly labeled vegan options

Cons: need more veggies on my dish!

Patacones are amazing - Edit

This place is owned by the same people that own Ylang Ylang.

The patacones are unbelievably good. They are also known in other countries as tostones. They are basically smashed plantains that are fried twice. The are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They were served with beans, guacamole and pico de gallo. If they were healthier I would order them every day!

My son had the Casado. It included plantains, avocado, salad, beans and pico de gallo. He liked it and developed a love of plantains.

They have a nice deck in the back that seems far away from the dusty busy montezuma streets.

The total for two meals and a drink was around $20 US.

Pros: Nice deck in back

This place is closed whenever they want - Edit

I found this place here on Happy Cow and was excited to try it while spending 2 days in Montezuma. We tried to eat dinner here our first night, they said they were closed. I looked at the sign it said from 4-9 was drinks and desserts only, but they were just plain closed. When we came back the next day at 3 to try it for lunch, and again, they said they were closed with no explanation. We went to Cafe Organico instead, which was yummy.

Cons: inconsistent hours, closed when their hours say open

beautiful place - Edit

visited here with a friend, all was up to our expectations, great atmospeher and fantastic staff

Pros: fun, great food, super atmosphere

Cons: out of the way, none, none

Montezuma's Best - Edit

Excellent food and attentive service. Huge menu with breakfast, salads, lunch, sushi, dinner, desserts. All manner of drinks -coffee, espresso, iced chai, smoothies, fruit juices, wine, beer, mojitos. Vegetarian menu items are marked with a heart, vegan items with two hearts. Breakfast served all day!

For breakfast, they have banana pancakes, a scrambled tofu platter, omelettes and a waffle. Also Costa Rican breakfast of rice, beans, plantains, egg & cheese (if you're vegan ask to sub fruit for the egg and cheese). Ask for the Lizano sauce - they have it but it's not on the table.

If you spend at least $6, they will give you the wifi password & you can stay for movie night. They have a big screen that drops down in the front of the restaurant. The only bad part is if you don't want to watch the movie there's really no where to go to escape it.

The hotel is right above the restaurant. A hotel stay includes free breakfast. This would be a nice place to stay.

vegan fajias = heaven - Edit

Came here I think 3 times while in Montezuma. The waiters were so nice and the service was great. All 3 times I had the same meal because it was SO AMAZING! I thought about trying other things but I just couldn't resist getting this meal again and again because it was so good.

vegan fajitas. one of my favorite meals in all of Costa Rica.

Good Food - Edit

Food is good, location is central, they have movie nights which are a blast.

Just what we expected! - Edit

Went out of our way to drive to Montezuma to eat at Sano Banano! We ordered the Vegetarian fajitas and "Casado". They
were great....didn't expect anything less.Go!

Pros: neat place, friendly staff

Cons: parking is dubious

A must if you're in Montezuma - Edit

El Sano Banano is in the centre of Montezuma and is affiliated with the fantastic Ylang Ylang Beach Resort just further down the beach. Our taxi dropped us off here on the way to Ylang Ylang and we decided to have lunch before heading to the resort.

The menu is large with a good amount of veg and vegan options all clearly labelled. The menu has a good variety of traditional Costa Rican dishes and lots of delicious juices and ice-blended teas, lemonades and smoothies. (I'd really recommend the Ice-blended lemonade with ginger for a really refreshing midday drink!)

On the 2 occasions we ate here I had Catacones (fried plaintain patties served with refried beans, salsa and guac). Absolutely delicious! Really fresh and tasty - but the portions are very big! Be warned if you only want a light lunch :)

I also tried the heart of palm salad which came with a delicious basil dressing. My partner had the quesadillas - again he said they were superb but a massive portion!!

The food is very good quality but on the pricey side compared to other places in Montezuma (but worth it when you consider the portions, quality and service) - $15-$20 for entrees and $8-$15 for salads and lighter bites.

The service is imeccably polite and attentive. Seating is either on the porch fronting the bustling main street, at the back under the palm trees (good for iguana spotting!) or inside in their comfortable restaurant.

Definitely try this place if you're in beautiful Montezuma!

Pros: Good food, Attentive Service, Centre of town

Cons: Huge portions, Pricer compared to other places

best option in montezuma - Edit

We ate here several times during the week we stayed in Montezuma. There are several vegan options for myself. My girlfriend had her meat options. The restaurant does not serve red meat. Only chicken and seafood. I had banana pancakes, scrambled tofu, fruit salads, veggie fajitas, pasta, stir fry. The prices are expensive for costa rica but reasonable for a tourist town. The price also reflects the high quality of food, large quantity, great service and nice restaurant. We ate on the outdoor patio, the front cafe along the road, the lounge and movie area. It was also great to watch some movies from back home after being on the road for so long.

Pros: location, quality and quantity, great service

Cons: bit expensive, front sidewalk seating can be loud

Nice Place - Edit

Friendly place, clean, good bread and movie night. This is a tiny town--and they have sushi!

Pros: Nice place

Cons: More vegan options

Return to Montezuma Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Sano Banano Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.