El Rodeo

• Veg-friendly
Contact 717-652-5340

4659 Jonestown Rd, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA, 17109

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican restaurant with several locations in Pennsylvania. Has a lacto-vegetarian section on the menu - can request to omit cheese and sour cream. Beware that rice is cooked in chicken stock (per Jun 2015 report).

Category: Lacto, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by uneamie2

Vegetarian menu is not vegetarian - Edit

The "vegetarian" menu is not vegetarian at all because most items come with rice, which is a traditional mexican rice made with chicken broth. I knew this about traditional mexican food, so I bothered to ask.

They bother to label a corner of a page as "vegetarian" and go to the lengths of making the refried beans WITHOUT LARD (pig fat), but making the rice without chicken broth must be something they overlooked.

Until they fix this, I don't think it should be listed on Happy Cow at all.

I ordered the vegetable fajita (refried beans and veggies) without rice, and asked for guacamole as well, which came out to be $12.50. Why the vegetable dish costs so much is beyond me - most Chinese restaurants sell veggie dishes for cheaper.

It took 4 different people, including the manager and a cook, to figure out whether the rice was cooked in chicken broth like I suspected. The language barrier became an issue so a very helpful well-english speaking employee helped clarify the issue by asking the manager my question in spanish.

Overall, the menu is overpriced a bit, the portions a bit on the small size. In the end, dinner for 2 adults and 3 kids cost $52, with no leftovers either.

Pros: Apologetic Service

Cons: Vegetarian menu is not vegetarian

A good place for veg*ans in Hershey/Harrisburg - Edit

My boyfriend and I came up to Hershey from Washington a few times to get our hockey fix during the NHL lockout (there's the American Hockey League Hershey Bears here). On this site I discovered El Rodeo, a decent-looking place only a few miles from the arena. It was the closest veg-friendly place to the arena, so we decided to try it.

El Rodeo has a vegetarian section on the menu, and the staff seems willing to remove the cheese and sour cream so it's vegan. I found the fried chimichangas and have stuck with them--a crispy fried packet of yummy veggies with rice on the side and a bit of lettuce for a sort of salad.

The servers have been friendly--including one young woman in training on one of our visit. We rarely have to wait too long for service or for our food or our check.

I wouldn't make a special trip there, but if you're in the area, check it out.

Pros: vegan options, food is pretty good

Cons: parking lot a bit tricky

Limited choices for vegans, but always very good! - Edit

My husband and I go to El Rodeo quite a bit. We generally choose the vegetable fajitas as they are easily made vegan. They do have quite a few options for vegetarians. We love El Rodeo. Our food has always been good and the servings have always been large. The person who wrote the other review must have really hit them on a bad day as we've never encountered bad food or bad service. Of course, some servers are better than others (like anywhere). We love it there!

Pros: Delicious food, Many vegetarian choices

Cons: Only a couple options for vegans

Would not recommend! - Edit

My husband and I are vegan, and we visited El Rodeo today for lunch. We ordered the vegetarian fajitas without sour cream and cheese. We were disappointed when the plates arrived because they were extremely small portions and the fajita vegetables were not fresh (or even sizzling). The normal dinner plate was 1/3 fajita veggies and 2/3 rice and beans. We had to send the beans back because they put cheese on top. The fajitas did not come with guacamole or lettuce/tomato/etc but still cost about $11. The menu clearly states that they charge $1.35 for extra baskets of chips. The service was terrible. Our waitress took our order, and then we didn't see her again until we needed to ask for the check. We didn't get the salsa we were hoping for or any refills on water. Normally, we do not complain about the places we eat, but we really want to save you from the same bad experience. Try somewhere else!

Pros: ok dining area

Cons: service, small portions for the price

Return to Harrisburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Rodeo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1024 times since Dec 2011.