El Piano

• Friend
Contact 958565097

Calle Santiago 2, Granada, Spain, 18009

Founded in York 1997, this branch of El Piano also specializes in vegan and gluten-free meals and tapas. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 9:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Mediterranean, Fast food, Take-out, Catering, Spanish

First Review by gr8vegan

Buen restaurante si buscas comida sana y casera - Edit

Pedimos un menú de dos platos y bebida y todas las opciones que tenían eran 100% naturales y cocinadas allí. Se nota que todos los platos son muy naturales y que nada lleva azúcares añadidos.
Es una buena opción para probar tapas veganas, pero olvídate si buscas una imitación de la comida no vegana-vegetariana.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-20

Pros: Comida natural, Amplia variedad, Buena decoración

Cons: Precio medio-alto, No opciones con azúcar

A great option - Edit

I happened upon this place after finding Hicuri fully booked at a lunchtime. I wasn't disappointed. Lovely atmosphere. Great options. A piano man! Good range of food and drinks.

Pros: Tasty local options , Good atmosphere , Spacious

Excelente lugar - Edit

La atención fue increíble, mis gracias s Luisa que nos atendió muy bien y participó a hacer una pequeña sorpresa a mi novio para su cumpleaños.
Gran elección de platos y postres veganos, me gustó particularmente la exquisita ensalada de espinaca-naranja-pimentón, la tortilla de patatas y las bebidas propuestas (té de menta y chocolate, zumo de jenjibre con espinacas)
El lugar es lindo, y tuvimos la suerte de cenar con la música muy agradable de un pianista que viene de vez en cuando.
Mil gracias!

Many options, delicious food! - Edit

This place is not actually just a take out place despite the description. It is an actual restaurant in addition to having take out. Lots of healthy vegan food left me feeling great after days of eating bread and Manchego (which is delicious but...). I had the crepe with spinach, tabouli, and some carrot patty things called Tinas. I also had an interesting Batido. Everything was great, the staff was very friendly, and there was even a guy who just walked in and wanted play the Piano while he drank his wine - so I got to listen to some live music. When I was there it seemed to be mostly locals.

Delicious!!! - Edit

This little restaurant is so perfect for vegan food on the go! I'm the only vegan in my family, so I often have to grab food to go when we travel since I don't have anyone to eat with me at sit-down restaurants.
Note that you can also eat the food there as there are tables inside. The food was delicious, and the perfect portion. You get to choose three dishes to eat out of a cute little boat. I got a lentil dish, a potato dish, and a spicy noodle dish. All were SO good. Highly recommend. It's perfect.

LOVED this place - Edit

We found this spot on our way to another vegan restaurant. We had read reviews of this one and it didn't sound that good but now I realize that any mediocre reviews are two years old. Here is why... We were afraid it was going to be a take out place with a standing bar. Not the case at all! They moved their location and the interior is charming with plenty of quaint tables. The ambience is wonderful. The waitstaff is so sweet and welcoming despite our horrible Spanish. Nina Simone plays softly on the radio. Lively ceramic dinnerware. Now importantly, on to the food! There are dozens of choices - all homemade and displayed in a glass case for you to select from. We got two kinds of Indian Dhal one from chick pea and the other a tomato ginger lentil. We had fresh grilled pineapple. These amazing "meat" balls with sauce. Mushrooms that I will attempt to recreate at home - most likely unsuccessfully as they had beautiful layers of flavor. We had grilled potatoes. The onion quiche was outstanding - more like any quiche than I've ever had at a vegan restaurant. They gave us a complimentary dessert too. The portions were generous and everything was delicious. We are in Granada for another two days and plan to return!

Pros: delicious food, lovely sit down restaurant , sweet waitstaff

Favourite restaurant in Granada - Edit

This place is delicious! Great variety of vegan food. Delicious chai. Can eat-in or take away. Lovely atmosphere. Staff friendly. Right near a taxi-rank. Walked here from our hotel with luggage then got a taxi to the airport.

genial! - Edit

Tenía muchas ganas de ir a este sitio porque habìa oido hablar muy bien de su comida y ahora ya puedo dar fe!! estuve cenando y me encantó todo lo que probé, que fueron bastantes cosas... Productos ecológicos y de calidad y bastante variedad de platos. Tenían un menu por 10 euros que está muy bien. El trato de la chica que nos atendió fue excelente. Deseando volver

Pros: Apto para celíacos, mucha variedad

Nothing to write home about - Edit

Same as what has already been said. Small portions. Expensive for what you get. Not freshly made - microwave heating. Food tasted good, but nothing to write home about. Very friendly waitress. Nice ambiance although there was only one other table with people.

Pros: Friendly staff, nice ambiance

Cons: expensive, microwave heating, small protions

Magdalena, owner 13 Feb 2014 - How long is a piece of string...if you ordered our least expensive option of two savoury dishes for 2.95 euros and have a big appetite it will not have been enough. But if you ordered the MEAL DEAL at under 10 euros of starter, mains (4 savoury options), dessert and a drink it will have been better value and (again depending on your appetite) likely sufficed. We are VERY grateful in EL PIANO in Spain to still be trading. I don't know how long you spent in Spain or if you spoke to local people, but the common refrain "the country is a ruin" is on most people's lips these days. We survive while all around us are collapsing because we are EXTREMELY lucky to have a quality product at a good price and a SUPREMELY loyal customer base. What you should write home about is how hard it is for ordinary people in Spain, especially in the south of Spain, to survive an economic crisis that is not of their making. As for the microwaving it is out there for all to see in plain view not hidden as in most kitchens. You are MORE than welcome to have your food cold, or ask for those dishes that are still cooking in the kitchen.

Fast vegan food - Edit

Everyone has said pretty much everything about this place and I totally agree with most of the comments. It's a place for a quick meal, don't expect nothing spectacular but it's not bad either! The only thing I really disliked in this restaurant is that when I asked to go to the toilet they sent me to the primary health center on the other side of the street?!?!! Really??? I though you couldn't open a restaurant without a toilet!!! There is not even a place to wash your hands!!! Not cool at all!!! So I think that as a take away this place can be ok, not as a restaurant!!

Pros: Vegan food with many options, Affordable, good price, Other activities like cooking lessons

Cons: No toilet!!!, Microwave heating of food

Magdalena, owner 13 Feb 2014 - EL PIANO is a shop, not a restaurant, and makes no claim to be otherwise. We offer take-away food at take-away prices PLUS we have tables to accommodate people who wish to eat in AT NO EXTRA CHARGE. Hence you can eat a full vegan and gluten-free meal in EL PIANO GRANADA of starter, mains (4 savoury dishes), dessert and a drink all for under 10 euros. Toilet facilities are available to the public in the 24 hour medical centre exactly opposite and in since December 2013 there has been a toilet available on site. Thanks for providing the opportunity to make this more widely known.

Not traditional dining, good for lunch. - Edit

The atmosphere was pleasant and there was even a piano player present :) After reading all the excellent reviews I have to admit my expectations were not met here. Perhaps this was because of my lacking Spanish skills, but the ordering system was a bit confusing. You pick four dishes, all of which you can see in a refrigerator in front of you. They then are reheated in a microwave, or served cold. Thus the food did not taste fresh and the desert (lemon cheese cake) had curry scent in it from standing together with the other dishes in the fridge. Perhaps when you chose a desert ask when it was made to make sure it's fresh enough. The food was nevertheless tasty, although for dinner not filling enough. I would definitely recommend it for lunch and they offer take away! I don't want to sound to harsh as I did enjoy going to el piano! All the paper is recycled and their green policies are amazing! After leaving Granada for Malaga I went to the el piano in Malaga and knowing what to expect I found it very enjoyable!

Pros: Vegan, Gluten Free, Maximally environmentally friendly, super relaxed atmosphere

Cons: food is not always fresh

Magdalena, owner 13 Feb 2014 - It's hard to beat a full meal, all vegan, all gluten-free, much organic and locally sourced, of a starter, four savoury mains, a dessert and a drink for under 10 euros...and all made on site. I think you mean that the food is not cooked to order because of course it is fresh, made and displayed daily. Not speaking the language can be a drawback when ordering in any establishment...but seeing all the options is usually helpful and the pointy finger generally works well! Your review while not wanting 'to sound harsh' does sound harsh and is not a fair description of what is on offer: amazing food at an incredible price.

music for my stomach - Edit

I LOVED this places. I got the menu del día economica, which consisted of a soup, a pine boat filled with my choice of four portions of entrees from the cold case, and a beverage. I chose the gazpacho, tofu stir-fry, cous-cous with raisins, marinated mushrooms, and ratatoullie. the service was very amiable and attentive, and they had literature on the tables explaining the restaurant's mission. I felt at home in the casual, bohemian atmosphere, and thoroughly enjoyed my lunch.

Pros: affordable, quick, delicious

Cons: nothing fancy, premade food (not necessarily a con!), bottled water

Magdalena, owner 23 Jul 2013 - So glad you loved EL PIANO. We all seem to love working there and it is always pleasing to hear that people enjoy the food and the atmosphere. Thank you for taking time to write about us and for being so positive.

Not a place I'd revisit - Edit

I was so excited to visit this place but was let down by a number of things, firstly the place had no atmosphere it was early by Spanish standards (8pm) but we were still the only ones in there, the waitress although nice lacked warmth and was the only one in the restaurant. The food looked delicious and both I and my friend opted for 4 different options for just under 6 euros each, then the most disappointing thing happened the food was heated up in a microwave, I understand the convenience of having the food precooked then heated up, many restaurants do it, but it's hardly promoting an eco friendly life style I brought this up with the waitress who fully agreed with me but didn't say much else. The food itself was nice but nothing to write home about, the dessert (lemon and ginger cake) was very dry and there was no cream (soy or regular) available to put on it. I am surprised at all the positive reviews, the place has so much potential but seems to lack the love and care that it deserves.

Magdalena, owner 23 Jul 2013 - Thanks for taking the time to review EL PIANO GRANADA. We are pleased you liked the food (although disappointed we do not offer cream). As a wholly vegan eaterie we have no dairy products and as a wholly gluten-free eaterie we make everything on site to avoid cross contamination, all the sauces, the mayos and yes, even the noodles! Soya cream is a highly processed food bought in from factories and we do not have the means to manufacture it on site.

It's a shame you did not enjoy your visit. It is true that 8pm is early for dining in Granada (the pianist comes at about 9.30pm!) and you seemed disappointed that the waitress was not as chatty as you would have liked. We do our best to welcome people in many languages and to explain the food and ingredients as well, but when English is not your first language being chatty in it can pose a challenge.

Your main concern seems to be the microwave. While you are more than welcome to eat ALL of our food cold, microwaving is nonetheless one of the ways in which food can be served hot in EL PIANO. In Spain, where the utility costs are the highest in Europe microwaves are VERY eco-friendly as power consumption is much less than using any other heating method.

But I think you are perhaps believing in the intrinsic badness of microwave technology which has long been understood by some of us to be harmful and health averse. Actually there is considerable research on the topic and it is by no means as cut and dry as we may think. We have opened the subject anew in our EL PIANO MAGAZINE, coming out in September 2013 and invite you to have a look and see what you think when presented with the science. The MAGAZINE is available free in the EL PIANOs and will also be accessible on-line via our website.

Nice to find a vegan place - Edit

More than a dozen dishes to choose from, foods tasty good. Larger portions & less salt will be better. All of us chose the largest plate with choice of 4 dishes. We're still quite hungry when we finished our food. The portion offers is like a starter for us. Anyway the service is friendly, nice setting.

Pros: all vegan, all organic

Cons: small portions, no toilet

Magdalena, owner 23 Jul 2013 - Oh dear. Bless you guys...obviously VERY hungry people...

We wonder if you were still hungry half an hour later? Some people find that once the meal makes it's way into the system the food really lingers and powers them through the day...

If you are highly active (off for a day's climbing in Monachil for example) you could probably do with an extra small boat of rice...or go for the MEAL DEAL which gives you soup, then the boat of four options, then the dessert and of course a drink, altogether under a 10 euros...

Amazing, delicious vegan and gluten-free! - Edit

We stopped at El Piano in May 2013 during a trip to Granada. We went for lunch and now I wish we had also gone for dinner the night before. It was unbelievable. The variety, flavors and quality was outstanding. We took two take-away "boats" - filled with curried plantains, falafel, lentils, rice, broccoli pasta salad, etc. etc. and had the brownie and lemon ginger cake for dessert. Everything was vegan and gluten free - healthy, rich and flavorful. It was all quite affordable for the portions - I think we paid 16 Euro or so for the boats and desserts, lasting two for lunch, my dinner and even a little leftover for a snack the next day. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly and the inside space was very cute - selling homemade chutneys and salsas (oh were my suitcase bigger!). El Piano is hands-down a must stop if you are in Granada. Oh, and it seems they are really into local, sustainable living. Our to-go forks were not plastic, no plastic bags - it was all decompostable.

Pros: Delicious, high-quality, Wide variety, Gluten-free options galore

Cons: No big outside seating

Magdalena, owner 23 Jul 2013 - So glad you liked the wholly vegan and wholly gluten-free fare of EL PIANO. Thanks for writing about us so positively. It was fun to hear that you made the food go a long way...

We try to use local produce wherever we can. The growing season in Granada is about 6-8 months and we do well on local organic and fresh produce during those months. The winter is a little more difficult...hence all the home-bottled stuff from our organic farm.

No outdoor seating, you are right, but you may sit on the porch which is sheltered (and smoke...) and of course in EL PIANO in York and EL PIANO in Málaga there is outdoor seating all year round (although not always usable in the dreary wet winters of York!)

Winner! Great taste, great value, great business - Edit

We rarely find a restaurant for which 5 cows doesn't seem a high enough rating, but El Piano is one of them. We were quite impressed with the quality of the food, with the good service, with the ecological practices, and with the overall value. It's rather amazing that they offer so much great food at such reasonable prices. If i lived in Granada i would be a devoted regular at El Piano.

Favorites: plantain curry, gazpacho (one of the best we've had), mushroom dishes, vegetable tart, fresh juices.

Centrally located between the University and the Cathedral, and easy to find.

Enjoy!

Pros: great flavors, very reasonable prices, very eco-friendly

Cons: none

Magdalena, owner 23 Jul 2013 - Thanks Guys! What a lovely whole-hearted review! FIVE COWS is just GREAT! We appreciate it.

We are lucky to have many devoted regulars. Without them we would not be able to claw our way through this seemingly interminable recession in Spain. They, and our landlord, are our backbone and we are as devoted to them as they are to us I think.

Glad you liked the banana curry, EVERSO easy to make at home...fry the holy trinity of ginger, garlic and onions, add the curry powder and sliced bananas. Then coconut milk, salt and fresh chopped coriander... Always good EVERY TIME!

Enjoy to you too!

Return to Granada Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Piano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.