El Paraiso Bio Leben

Contact 2410507

Alcanfores 453-416, Miraflores (at Tarata, half block from Schell), Lima, Peru,

Two establishments, facing each other. One is open for lunch only. The other is a soda shop/juice bar/ice cream parlour that is also open at night. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Juice bar

First Review by Pernilleskokken

ok - Edit

went for lunch. the soup was great but we ordered ceviche thinking it was the soup but it was just gluten with ceviche lime juice. I am not a big fan of gluten I don't think it's very healthy. the rice looked microwaved. I didn't really like it had much better vegetarian food but maybe we just came on a bad day. but the soup made up for it.

Pros: cheap

Good food and variety in Miraflores - Edit

Lunch of the day is 12 soles as of April, 2016. If you're on a budget, there's no cheaper place in the Miraflores neighborhood for lunch. The variety is good. The other places got repetitive, but they really seem to try to avoid that here.

A very convenient location, and near other vegetarian restaurants in this neighborhood. The food was always good here when I went. If you go before 12:30 p.m. you get several choices for the appetizer and main plate, plus the service will be faster. If you arrive between 100pm and 145pm you probably won't find a table. They were open every day for lunch with the set menu, which is great because other restaurants only offered a la carte on weekends or were closed.

There may be some confusion as to the address of this restaurant. The same person owns the restaurant on the west side of the street, and the snack bar place on the east side of Alcanfores Street. You'll see waitresses going back and forth between the two. If the restaurant is closed, just walk across the street to the vegetarian snack bar and you can choose something in the glass case such as vegetarian quiche or empanadas or fruit salad or juices. Also, be sure to order the fruit salad with yogurt. It comes in a brandy snifter glass and tastes great for only 5 soles (as of April 2016). Don't be afraid to eat raw salads at this or the other veggie restaurants in Peru. The people who work there are nearly always vegetarians themselves, and they know the importance of properly disinfecting raw veggies before serving them.

Update: This neighborhood is undergoing a building boom, and they seem to be tearing down buildings left and right. At least 4 veggie restaurants have disappeared from this neighborhood in the last 5 years, creating more competition among diners to get a seat in the veggie places that remain. Be sure to arrive here or the others no later than 1230pm to get a seat.

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 28, 2007
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 10, 2012
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 12, 2014

Pros: Tastes great, Variety, Cheap

Cons: Limited number of tables

Nice, but not that fantastic - Edit

I've been there (November 2014), very enthusiastic by what I read here about the restaurant, but I felt a little bit disappointed.
I chose the set menu (10 soles), that included a starter (soup, for me), a main course, a beverage and a dessert.
- the soup was good, I have nothing to complain for, but maybe lacked some flavour
- there wasn't any main course without eggs involved in the preparation so I had to order the ratatouille without the burger (made with eggs). I'm used to that, but still, it was kind of frustrating. Plus they brought me the main course in the same time that the soup, so I had to eat the soup quickly, and since they brought the ratatouille only tepid, it was cold anyway.
- I couldn't have the dessert included in the 10 soles, since it wasn't vegan, and all the other desserts they had in the shop weren't too.
In the end, it was an enjoyable meal, but not what I expected, maybe cause I arrived late for the lunch.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Well located, Average price

Cons: Not so vegan-friendly, Better come early

Great Juices, Lovingly Made! - Edit

We only had a juice here, but loved the service. She made too much and was nice enough to bring it to us to drink (rather than throw it out) free of charge!
Cute place! Small, but has a patio.

El Paraiso Bio Leben, Lima - Edit

I had lunch here yesterday in the restaurant. Its all geared for lunch with a menu that lists what the set menu is for each day of the week. It looks like they get less business on a Saturday as there was less options listed than there is for other days of the week. Thus the choice for me (since it was Saturday) was either soup or mixed salad to start, a vugo cutlet with veg and rice for a main and a small yoghurt for dessert.

The lady who served me didn't speak any English and my Spanish isn't much better. We seemed to have it figured out though in the cream of veg soup she insisted was vegan as it was made with veg milk from the health food shop across the street. The soup was served with bread and tasted very nice, as did the main course. I skipped the yoghurt since it was non vegan friendly.

Al for 9 soles, this was a bargain.

I then went across the street to check out the health food shop and cafe & take away place. Its small with only 1 table of seating. Almost is everything the sell for immediate eating is either lacto or ovo based, only 1 exception to this I was told by the lady who spoke good English. In talking with her she said that the lady in restaurant had made an error in the soup I had eaten did also contain some milk. I'm sure there was no harm or misleading intended when I was in the restaurant but obviously this is the kind of error I can do without. I would rated this place higher if it wasn't for that as 9 soles was a super bargain price.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Inexpensive

Cons: Beware of staff errors

decent, lacking something - Edit

After having some great food in other nearby spots, I have to say that this place only sort of did it for me. I wanted it to be great, and it has the elements - good location, nice sign, right attitude - but the things I tried were definitely lacking and a bit mushy. OK in a pinch, but with seemingly a dozen places within 10 blocks from here, it wouldn't be my first (or second) choice. Could also be that I didn't arrive on the place's better days...

Pros: super cheap, well-located, good intentions

Cons: bland, blah, not great

set lunch menu - Edit

During our trip to Peru, we ate the set lunch menu at Bio Leben for only 8 soles each. There are three options each for the starter and entree and while the waiter didn't speak much English, he understood that we were vegan and pointed out the options that we could have or modify. The lunch menu comes with bread and tea as well. We both had the mixed salad as a starter as it was the only vegan option, but for entrees, we shared the lentil & rice dish (avocado replaced for yogurt) and the rice with mixed veggies, grilled onions and olives. Both were simple, but very filling and hit the spot for us. We arrived early and were the first customers, so the small space was not a problem.

Pros: inexpensive set lunch menu, filling

Cons: more veggie than vegan

Pretty good - Edit

I've gone a few times for lunch (they close around 4 or 5) and it's generally been pretty tasty. The mixed salad for the appetizer isn't anything special, but the entres are usually tasty. They don't have arroz integral (whole grain rice), and they have a very limited menú that changes every day (like two options to choose from each day). Supposedly they also have a few other choices (like lasagna) but it's not easy to find them. Costs s/8.

Peruvian experience - Edit

We found this fabulous little oasis near our hotel in Lima Peru. The meal was a wonderful combination of a soup course and main course and a bottle of water. Excellent service, very friendly and VERY helpful owner trying to help with the language barrier. A wonderful experience for our little group of 3.

Pros: Excellent food, healty cuisine, I could eat everything offered

Very small place - Edit

With the large double doors constantly open, it's chilly in the winter! Hot drink warms you up though. Few seats: max 6 people inside and 6 on the outisde patio. Set lunch menu with 3 choices of starter, and mains, plus dessert and drink for 6.50 soles. Today I had solterito de habas and locro con hamburguesas - yummy. A bit slow on serving (food is prepared in another building). You can buy veggie/health products and pies, cakes and gratins from the glasscounter. Seems popular and the counter lady was friendly. Good food. I'll come back.

Pros: Good food, Dessert, Cheap

Cons: Small, Cold place, Slow service

Return to Lima Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Paraiso Bio Leben closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4443 times since Aug 2007.