El Pancho

Contact 06-62410588

Shinsaibashi Tower Bldg 8F, 542-0085 Osaka Prefecture, Osaka, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican restaurant in the Shinsaibashi covered mall, at 中央区心斎橋筋1丁目10-1. Reported offering several dishes that are vegan suitable, but vegans should specify to be sure. Live music on weekend evenings.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Tory

An absolute delight - Edit

Whilst touring Japan with a group consisting of four meat-eaters, one vegetarian and one vegan (me!), we decided to stop into El Pancho because at least two of us were craving burritos. We were not disappointed.

I found the restaurant without much difficulty - its right by a big Zara and an H&M on the 8th floor of a tower filled with restaurants. Its about five minutes walk from the nearest subway station.

The inside of the restaurant is charmingly garish. Everything is Mexican-themed, from the outfits the waitresses wear to the flashing chili pepper lights strung around the walls. The lighting is quite dim but good enough to read the menu and see what you're eating.

The food was great. I asked for my burrito to be made vegan and our waitress knew right away what that meant without my having to explain it. She specified what would be removed from the meal (cheese and sour cream) and I reckon I got a few extra veggies in there to make up for it. The portion sizes are huge and the food is absolutely delicious, so its great value for money. They also do a range of alcoholic drinks and cocktails priced the same as soft drinks and they do pretty much every flavour of daiquiri you can imagine. They're also happy to mix you a custom one if you explain it and they have the ingredients.

Overall, El Pancho is amazing. I'd definitely go back.

Pros: Staff understand what vegan means, Good price for portions, Delicious food

Cons: The restaurant is a bit dark

Great for parties - Edit

El Pancho is a fun place. The decor is garish and messy, but the vibe is definitely cool.
They have vegan options available--but you have to ask the servers for details. Everyone who works there is friendly, and I haven't had any problems with the food.
The price for a veggie plate is a bit high, but the amount of food that you get makes you think you're in North America.
The frozen margaritas are also a must try!

My one complaint is the live guitar player/singer who comes in on weekends. He's always singing the same, standard pop-rock stuff and honestly I would rather just listen to salsa music all night....

Pros: big portions, friendly, cool vibe

Cons: live music seems outta place...

Mexican in Japan - Edit

An authentic Mexican restaurant in the heart of Osaka. I told them I was vegan, and they brought me a plate with guacamole, re fried beans,corn chips, salad, plantain and two types of salsa. Lovely decor, friendly staff, and the food was great!!. The plantain was amazing! A bit hard to find, on the 8th floor of a weird little building. Totally worth it!
The meal + a drink came to 1950 yen, and I left full :)

Pros: Great food, Good value, Good vibe

Cons: a bit hard to find

love - Edit

I love this place! This is my second time in Osaka, I visited El Pancho about 5 years ago, when I got here this was on my list of must go places. I ordered the vegetarian enchiladas. They come as avocado enchiladas. And it's a lot of food, I took about half of it home with me. It came with beans, a veggie taco, a quesadilla, a few veggies that were kind of out of place for a mexi resto, along with some mashed potatoes. But I'm not complaining bc they were delish. :) I will be going back soon. A good place for vegetarians to make their meat eating friends as well. There is something for everyone.

Pros: great food, good atmosphere

Great vegetarian/vegan option in central Osaka - Edit

While visiting Osaka, we ate at El Pancho three times due to the great food and fun atmosphere. Although there is lots of meat on the menu, there are lots of vegetarian and a few vegan options as well. They serve authentic Mexican food and have live music on weekend evenings. It's a small place so reservations are a good idea. They also serve a great assortment of fun cocktails and bring chips and salsa as soon as you sit down. It's clean and service is friendly. As an added bonus, the restaurant is centrally located in the Shinsaibashi covered mall and near to public transportation. If you're walking toward the end of the covered mall toward the very busy restaurant/entertainment area with the massive illuminated billboards, El Pancho is tucked in to the left of a tall, narrow building (it's a little bit tricky to find the first time). There are small elevators to take you up to the 8th floor and smoking is in the little lobby right outside of the restaurant where you exit the elevator, but is not inside the restaurant (which is not always the case in Japan). I highly recommend El Pancho and my carnivorous partner said his meals were great too - so there's something for everyone.

Pros: Great food, Clean, Veg options

Cons: A little hard to find the first time, Smoking right outside the restaurant

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Pancho closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3085 times since Aug 2011.