El Maple

Joaquin Pinto E7-68 y Diego de Almagro, Mariscal, Quito, Ecuador,

In the Mariscal suburb. Serves a wide range of foods from Ecuadorian in addition to Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and American. Has veggie burgers, fruit smoothies, vegetarian version of Ecuador's national dish, soy steak, white corn, potato cakes, beet root, veggie chorizo sausage. Free wireless internet. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-9:30pm, Sun 8:00am-5:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Ecuadorian

First Review by erinmack

A decent option - Edit

We ate here twice while in Quito. The first day we had appetizers - hummus with pita bread and frites. The waitress knowledgeable and helped us navigate the vegetarian/vegan menu which was all in Spanish.

The second day, we got the same waitress who helped us figure out what was vegan. My husband loved his burrito but I found my spaghetti dish to be blah. We enjoyed having vegan desserts there.

I would rate it overall as OK (better than "Fair" but not "Very Good").

Pros: Multiple vegan options, Friendly staff, Good dessert options

Cons: Menu was Spanish only, Some options tastier than others

Excellent vegan food - Edit

I am very surprised to see negative reviews of El Maple. We were just there - August 2016 - and had a fabulous experience. I had excellent vegan ceviche - a dish I had always wanted to try but had never seen done as vegan. They had 3 options, and the waiter suggested I try the palmas - which was excellent. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. I also had the empanadas de morocho, which were fine. My daughter had an excellent vegan apple tart for dessert. The waiter was very helpful and knowledgable of which items were vegan. On our way out, we bought some vegan bacon from their cooler - which contained a great variety of vegan "meats" and cheeses. Overall, I would highly recommend El Maple!

Pros: Vegan food options, Friendly staff, Great location

Not as good as it seams - Edit

The menú looks amazing, has wide variety of vegan options. The service is really bad, they dont seem professional , neither The waiter norte The owner. they also dont understand veganism although they offer great vegan cheeses and cakes. they madr us eat a plate that had actual parmesano cheese but they said it was vegan, but it was not, as de ordee The Same dish for second time (100% vegan) and The cheese was different, so dissapointed. it might be because waiter and owner are not even vegetarian. food may be good but overall experience no.

Didn't understand veganism, but nice owner - Edit

When we read the menu, I was excited for all the vegan dessert options.. Unfortunately, that didn't last! We ordered the milanesa (5.70) and the ravioli (7.50). Despite double and triple-checking with the hostile waiter, the ravioli came swimming in cheese and cream. Additionally, the portions were small and the food wasn't well-seasoned. The best part of our meal was the vegan chocolate cake we got from the owner to apologize for our waiter - rich, soft and delicious!

Pros: Good cake, Nice owner

Cons: Rude waiter, Limited understanding of veganism, Pricy for portion size

Delicious vegan food in Quito, Ecuador - Edit

We had a wonderful meal at El Maple in Quito!

We ate from the prix fixe menu, enjoying asparagus soup, a seitan dish with vegan mashed potatoes and avocado, and mango flan. More details here:

It is a beautiful restaurant with friendly staff (they are happy to make anything vegan for you), and I highly recommend visiting if you're in Quito!

Pros: Lovely staff and setting, Delicious vegan food, Excellent value

Nice first encounter with ecuadorian veg restaurants - Edit

we ate here for lunch at our first day in Ecuador. I really dont understand the negative reviews, because it was no bad choice at all. I loved the food. The fake meat in the main course that day really really tasted like meat, but they ensured me it wasn't. I had ceviche with popcorn, a very nice quinoa burger wrap and my husband had a soup and main course with empanadas de morocho and this chickenlike fake meat. I was a pity we were in a huury because their vegan cheese cake and vegan cheeses looked delicious. We plan to go back ther later this week.

Agree with the rest of the recent reviews... Bad.. - Edit

Ate here earlier today with a few friends. We all disliked it to different extents.

Says there's wifi. Signs advertising it. The waitress typed in a password for it on my phone. Phone said it was wrong. She said it is right and blamed my phone. Um.

Started with a papaya juice. It tasted super watery. My friend ordered a coffee with soy milk. Our waitress didn't bring the soy milk / put any in. She was cool about bringing it when we got her attention.

Shared the nachos. The vegan cheese tastes like its from 1999. Kind of like puke with some herbs in it. Just a very slight implication of cheesiness.The chips were tiny... Nearly crums. Not sure if that was on purpose. The guacamole tasted like mushy salt.

I got some dish that sounded like it was going to be vegetables with some fake meat and fries. It was a big slab of fake meat that, like the cheese, tastes like something you'd get in the '90s. Fries were good. Vegetables looked like they came out of a frozen mixed bag. Tiny cuts of green beans, broccoli, and carrots. It came with yogurt even though I asked for it vegan. She took it back and got me some with no yogurt, no problem... but it's still irritating when yogurt was used for me.

One of my friends ordered a salad and the ceviche with mushrooms. The seviche came out a little before the rest of our food. It tasted like a really bad gaspacho. She figured they forgot her salad... But it ended up coming out about half an hour after our main dishes... Long after we were all done eating. The salad looked good. My other friend got that dish that looks like enchiladas... refried beans on the side... She said it tasted bland and, again, like it was made of vegan substitutes from the '90s.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this place, nor would I eat here again. Not only was the food bad, the wifi situation annoying, and the timing of the dishes coming out bizarre... but it was very expensive for this city. My dish was nearing $10, with the extra $1.50 they charge to make it vegan... Seems excessive.

Noticed that all the reviews from this year are poor. Maybe this place used to be good... It really isn't now. Would give it one star, but two is the lowest option showing up for me.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 08, 2015

Pros: Location , Hours, Power Outles?

Cons: Food, Unmarked Vegan Menu Items , Music

Bland food, horrible music - Edit

After 5 months in South America, my standards were already low, but still, I was so disappointed by the food served at El Maple that I ate at non vegetarian restaurants the few following dinners I was in Quito. It's a shame that the other veggie restaurant in the area are closed by 5-6 pm.
Oh, and the music (dance/techno) is horrible and has no place in any restaurant.

Pros: Opening times

Cons: Bland food, Horrible music

few vegan choices - Edit

I went there and I expected to eat a burger or a hot dog but none of their bread are suitable for vegan.
finally, I ate a houmous and the andinan sandwich (two little pita with falafels and tomato salad with onion).
The smoothies are not exceptionnal (too much agua ?). I also had the opportunity to taste the thai plate (with pasta and a lot of mushrooms).
Of course, I guess I didn't try the best plates of the restaurant but the vegan choices are very limited, and nothing is indicated on the menu (enven if the menu is long).
2 houmous + 1 sandwich of falafels + 1 thai plate + 2 smoothies for a total of 26$... That seemed to us a bit expensive in Ecuador.

Pros: atmosphere, staff helpful, opening hours

Cons: limited vegan choices, nothing exceptionnal, expensive

Fantastic REAL vegetarian cuisine - Edit

Highly recommended restaurant with good vibe and great food. Ate there every night for a week and even meat eating friends were blown away by the variety offered. Real understanding of vegetarians need for proper food! Fake meat was excellent and available to buy to take away frozen. Friendly, smiley staff and a good price for a fresh meal.

Pros: Real understanding of vegetarianism, Happy staff, Variety

A very pleasant place for a bite or a drink - Edit

With three small dining rooms and two outdoor seating areas (a small courtyard in the front and a larger covered patio in the back), El Maple feels cozy and intimate even when it's busy. The relaxed cafe atmosphere, good music, free WiFi, and very warm and friendly staff make it an inviting place to relax for a while.

The menu is fairly diverse. Few of the items are vegan, but some can be veganized on request. I ate here three times during my visit to Quito and my favorite dish by far was the "amuleto al ajillo," an appetizer of sautéed mushrooms and peppers. I also enjoyed the set lunch.

I really appreciate the fresh juices and the use of organic ingredients. I only wish they had a few more vegan options. Still, even for vegans, it's worth going at least once, especially Sundays and evenings (when Quinua and most other veg*n places on town are closed).

There are vegan desserts to sweeten the deal. The chocolate cake was my favorite (there are two kinds, and one has eggs, so be sure to be clear which one you're ordering), followed by the banana and plantain cake.

Enjoy!

Pros: Organic ingredients, fresh juices, vegan desserts

Cons: Limited vegan options

Perfect fot my cravings - Edit

Nice break from the normal Arroz con Mesnestra that i had for the last 3 weeks in Ecuador, I got Hot dog and added avocado to it and it was perfect it comes with french fries too. Staff was very friendly, very easy to find and they have wifi. Def going back for the falafel sandwich and the burger

Will miss Quito and El Maple! - Edit

This restaurant was so memorable. Delicious, delicious food!! Also , nice atmosphere, music, server, and local microbrew. I had the hummus and samosa appetizers, vegetable soup, quinoa and vegetable salad.plus another Ecuadorean potato/corn/avocado /tofu dish It was all delicious and highly recommend all of these along with the local dark beer. I was so hungry from walking all day and was so happy to have discovered this restaurant. I was happily stuffed when I left. Total cost $25.19!

Pros: Delicious vegan/organic food, Local micro-brewed dark beer, Great atmosphere

Return to Quito Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Maple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.