El Maple

• Vegetarian

Joaquin Pinto E7-68 y Diego de Almagro, Mariscal, Quito, Ecuador,

In the Mariscal suburb. Serves a wide range of foods from Ecuadorian in addition to Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and American. Has veggie burgers, fruit smoothies, vegetarian version of Ecuador's national dish, soy steak, white corn, potato cakes, beet root, veggie chorizo sausage. Free wireless internet.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Ecuadorian

First Review by erinmack

Didn't understand veganism, but nice owner - Edit

When we read the menu, I was excited for all the vegan dessert options.. Unfortunately, that didn't last! We ordered the milanesa (5.70) and the ravioli (7.50). Despite double and triple-checking with the hostile waiter, the ravioli came swimming in cheese and cream. Additionally, the portions were small and the food wasn't well-seasoned. The best part of our meal was the vegan chocolate cake we got from the owner to apologize for our waiter - rich, soft and delicious!

Pros: Good cake, Nice owner

Cons: Rude waiter, Limited understanding of veganism, Pricy for portion size

Delicious vegan food in Quito, Ecuador - Edit

We had a wonderful meal at El Maple in Quito!

We ate from the prix fixe menu, enjoying asparagus soup, a seitan dish with vegan mashed potatoes and avocado, and mango flan. More details here:

It is a beautiful restaurant with friendly staff (they are happy to make anything vegan for you), and I highly recommend visiting if you're in Quito!

Pros: Lovely staff and setting, Delicious vegan food, Excellent value

Nice first encounter with ecuadorian veg restaurants - Edit

we ate here for lunch at our first day in Ecuador. I really dont understand the negative reviews, because it was no bad choice at all. I loved the food. The fake meat in the main course that day really really tasted like meat, but they ensured me it wasn't. I had ceviche with popcorn, a very nice quinoa burger wrap and my husband had a soup and main course with empanadas de morocho and this chickenlike fake meat. I was a pity we were in a huury because their vegan cheese cake and vegan cheeses looked delicious. We plan to go back ther later this week.

Agree with the rest of the recent reviews... Bad.. - Edit

Ate here earlier today with a few friends. We all disliked it to different extents.

Says there's wifi. Signs advertising it. The waitress typed in a password for it on my phone. Phone said it was wrong. She said it is right and blamed my phone. Um.

Started with a papaya juice. It tasted super watery. My friend ordered a coffee with soy milk. Our waitress didn't bring the soy milk / put any in. She was cool about bringing it when we got her attention.

Shared the nachos. The vegan cheese tastes like its from 1999. Kind of like puke with some herbs in it. Just a very slight implication of cheesiness.The chips were tiny... Nearly crums. Not sure if that was on purpose. The guacamole tasted like mushy salt.

I got some dish that sounded like it was going to be vegetables with some fake meat and fries. It was a big slab of fake meat that, like the cheese, tastes like something you'd get in the '90s. Fries were good. Vegetables looked like they came out of a frozen mixed bag. Tiny cuts of green beans, broccoli, and carrots. It came with yogurt even though I asked for it vegan. She took it back and got me some with no yogurt, no problem... but it's still irritating when yogurt was used for me.

One of my friends ordered a salad and the ceviche with mushrooms. The seviche came out a little before the rest of our food. It tasted like a really bad gaspacho. She figured they forgot her salad... But it ended up coming out about half an hour after our main dishes... Long after we were all done eating. The salad looked good. My other friend got that dish that looks like enchiladas... refried beans on the side... She said it tasted bland and, again, like it was made of vegan substitutes from the '90s.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this place, nor would I eat here again. Not only was the food bad, the wifi situation annoying, and the timing of the dishes coming out bizarre... but it was very expensive for this city. My dish was nearing $10, with the extra $1.50 they charge to make it vegan... Seems excessive.

Noticed that all the reviews from this year are poor. Maybe this place used to be good... It really isn't now. Would give it one star, but two is the lowest option showing up for me.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 08, 2015

Pros: Location , Hours, Power Outles?

Cons: Food, Unmarked Vegan Menu Items , Music

Bland food, horrible music - Edit

After 5 months in South America, my standards were already low, but still, I was so disappointed by the food served at El Maple that I ate at non vegetarian restaurants the few following dinners I was in Quito. It's a shame that the other veggie restaurant in the area are closed by 5-6 pm.
Oh, and the music (dance/techno) is horrible and has no place in any restaurant.

Pros: Opening times

Cons: Bland food, Horrible music

few vegan choices - Edit

I went there and I expected to eat a burger or a hot dog but none of their bread are suitable for vegan.
finally, I ate a houmous and the andinan sandwich (two little pita with falafels and tomato salad with onion).
The smoothies are not exceptionnal (too much agua ?). I also had the opportunity to taste the thai plate (with pasta and a lot of mushrooms).
Of course, I guess I didn't try the best plates of the restaurant but the vegan choices are very limited, and nothing is indicated on the menu (enven if the menu is long).
2 houmous + 1 sandwich of falafels + 1 thai plate + 2 smoothies for a total of 26$... That seemed to us a bit expensive in Ecuador.

Pros: atmosphere, staff helpful, opening hours

Cons: limited vegan choices, nothing exceptionnal, expensive

Fantastic REAL vegetarian cuisine - Edit

Highly recommended restaurant with good vibe and great food. Ate there every night for a week and even meat eating friends were blown away by the variety offered. Real understanding of vegetarians need for proper food! Fake meat was excellent and available to buy to take away frozen. Friendly, smiley staff and a good price for a fresh meal.

Pros: Real understanding of vegetarianism, Happy staff, Variety

A very pleasant place for a bite or a drink - Edit

With three small dining rooms and two outdoor seating areas (a small courtyard in the front and a larger covered patio in the back), El Maple feels cozy and intimate even when it's busy. The relaxed cafe atmosphere, good music, free WiFi, and very warm and friendly staff make it an inviting place to relax for a while.

The menu is fairly diverse. Few of the items are vegan, but some can be veganized on request. I ate here three times during my visit to Quito and my favorite dish by far was the "amuleto al ajillo," an appetizer of sautéed mushrooms and peppers. I also enjoyed the set lunch.

I really appreciate the fresh juices and the use of organic ingredients. I only wish they had a few more vegan options. Still, even for vegans, it's worth going at least once, especially Sundays and evenings (when Quinua and most other veg*n places on town are closed).

There are vegan desserts to sweeten the deal. The chocolate cake was my favorite (there are two kinds, and one has eggs, so be sure to be clear which one you're ordering), followed by the banana and plantain cake.

Enjoy!

Pros: Organic ingredients, fresh juices, vegan desserts

Cons: Limited vegan options

Perfect fot my cravings - Edit

Nice break from the normal Arroz con Mesnestra that i had for the last 3 weeks in Ecuador, I got Hot dog and added avocado to it and it was perfect it comes with french fries too. Staff was very friendly, very easy to find and they have wifi. Def going back for the falafel sandwich and the burger

Will miss Quito and El Maple! - Edit

This restaurant was so memorable. Delicious, delicious food!! Also , nice atmosphere, music, server, and local microbrew. I had the hummus and samosa appetizers, vegetable soup, quinoa and vegetable salad.plus another Ecuadorean potato/corn/avocado /tofu dish It was all delicious and highly recommend all of these along with the local dark beer. I was so hungry from walking all day and was so happy to have discovered this restaurant. I was happily stuffed when I left. Total cost $25.19!

Pros: Delicious vegan/organic food, Local micro-brewed dark beer, Great atmosphere

Will return! - Edit

Ate here on my first day in Quito, sat next to a nice vegan couple who gave me further tips on how to survive in meat-loving Ecuador.
Had the set lunch menu which was all vegan, cost 5.50. Empanada, Seitan with rice and a juice. Food was good, but could have been great with some more spices. They were a little too quick with serving the main dish, otherwise helpful.

Pros: Open weekends

Cons: Boring side salad

Excellent - Edit

I went here twice for lunch and enjoyed my meal both times. The first time I had the menu of the day, which was vegan. You could get it with a fresh juice or pay less without. The second time I had a quinoa and veggie salad off the menu and it was also really good. The place has a lovely atmosphere and is nice to sit and relax in. I recommend going here.

Pros: Good hours, vegan options

Typical Ecuadorian food, veggie version - Edit

Great restaurant in an active zone of the city. It is great to have the occasion to try a typical Ecuadorian dish despite being vegetarian (they replace the pork with soy-based meat). The food was delicious. Please try the mushrooms "al ajillo" (the first appetizer)...they're just amazing.
The server was friendly, but service was weird (we got the entrees before the appetizer, and the juice almost at the end of the meal). But I would definitely go back.

Pros: Great taste, large portions, friendly staff

Cons: weird serving order

The go-to place in Quito - Edit

Last time we were in Quito was about 3yrs ago and at the time I recall we tried out every joint in town only to settle on El Maple as our firm favourite. This time we were in town for just 2 days so we cut straight to the chase and went directly here. Yup, still good. We really enjoyed the soups and the samosas... so much so that we bought several portions of the samosas to take with us on the plane. Drinks are yummy too. Service is all in Spanish but the menu is in English which helps. Oh yes and it's all organic. We'll be back again next time no doubt.

El Maple, Quito - Edit

At time of writing there are 5 different vego restaurants in the Mariscal area, all within a few mins walk of each other. There is 1 distinct competitive feature El Maple has over the others, namely that it is open in the evenings and the weekend. There's plenty other options around for day time eating for evenings and weekends, its El Maple.

There's a big choice of stuff on the menu. I ate here more than once and while its nice to try different things, a main course is more than enough to fill the gap.

No issues getting vegan food.

Its on Joaquin Pinto only 1 block away from the main social in Mariscal at the junction of Reina Victoria and Foch.

In the evening for a soup, main and fruit juice it cost me $7.70.

No issues with service, decor, atmo etc.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Open evenings & weekends

Cons: Closes early on Sunday

Oasis on a hungry Sunday layover - Edit

This place was an unbelievably great find for a Sunday when absolutely every other veg restaurant in the city seemed to be closed. If you go by taxi, make sure you specify Joaquin PintO with an "O," as there is also a street named "Pinta" about 10 blocks away.

I tried the national platter as recommended here and really loved it. Also got some sandwiches for the flight that were perfect, including the quinoa falafel. Smoothies were right on. Great place!

Pros: great food, nice location, friendly, family-owned

Great Menu - Edit

I guess I'm unsure as to why everyone seems to say that the food was bland. I got the typico comida and thought it was just that, typical food for the area, and I thought it was great. The menu had a diverse range of selections and there were some great drink choices as well. It was a bit pricey relative but for 16 USD I had the most expensive dish, a burger with FF for later, a kiwi banana smoothie and tea. I would never be able to find that in the states for that price so it's all relative. Staff was super nice as well. Oh and the chill-out beatles and Michael Jackson tunes were great as well.

Pros: food, service, location

Cons: a bit pricey

Pleasing but flavorless - Edit

I went for lunch today and was surprised to find a very pleasant restaurant in a restored old colonial house. The hostess spoke excellent English and even though the menu, which was extensive, was in Spanish, she was very helpful. However except for the fresh juice that was excellent, I ahd a Mexican platter and it was too cheesy along with the guacamole and salsa that were totally bland. I noticed that almost every one else during lunch time were having the typical Ecuadoran lunch meal, and from the looks it seemed quite flavorless. However, it would not be fair to judge based upon this experience. Since the menu was extensive, I would definitely like to go again and give it another try. PRices were very reasonable.

Pros: Locaation, Decor, Service

Cons: Taste, Flavor

Nice place - Edit

During our trip to Ecuador, we ate lunch at El Maple. We arrived about 1:30pm and the place was still hopping, so we had to wait for a table. There was a set daily menu noted on a chalkboard out front, but we decided to order a la carte. Our waiter did not speak English, but the hostess did, so she made sure to veganize anything we ordered. We got the toast with mushroom and garlic for an appetizer followed by entrees of Chinese stir fry and the Ecuadorian combo plate (mentioned in the restaurant description) along with grape juice (the juice of the day). The plates were huge and very filling. The grape juice was fresh squeezed and was so much better than any store bought I've ever had. The restaurant is located in a converted house and is quite nice. Check it out if you are in Quito.

Pros: huge servings, good filling food

Cons: very busy at lunch

oh god :( - Edit

the asian dishes where ok tasting.at least better than any other chinese food in ecuador.the burgers where great!the cakes where ok tasting but oh god.im vegan, and i took my meat eating boyfriend and even he got sick.I dont know what exactly made us sick but we think it was the cake.harsh stomach aches for 2 days.
just be carful if you go there

Pros: good tasting, vegan friendly, wifi

Cons: got sick, flys :(, greasy at times

Delicious Salsa - Edit

This restaurant has recently moved to a fancy new location. For the price the food is a little disappointing. Quite bland and the portions are HUGE (not the good kind of huge, just too big, I barely ate half) The salsa was delicious however and the service was great.

Pros: Great service, vegan friendly

Cons: bit pricey

Decent - Edit

We weren't overwhelmed by the quality of the dishes, but it was nice to have hot, veggie-friendly meals. We ate there twice. Nothing to write home about, but not bad either.

Pros: Lots of choices, All veggie

Cons: Mediocre

Ate here 4 out of 6 nights while in Quito - Edit

El Maple has had a few different addresses, but recently moved to Joaquin Pinto E7-68 y Diego de Almagro. Their phone number is 2900-000/096455-294. This excellent vegetarian restaurant has many different ethnic offerings: Chinese, Mexican, Italian and Ecuadorian as well as veggie burgers. My favorite meal (just because of its uniqueness) was the vegetarian version of Ecuador's national dish; it had soy steak, unusual white corn, potato cakes, beet root and veggie chorizo sausage. I think it was my favorite meal of the whole trip. They also make fruit smoothies with soy milk if you want, and are willing to remove cheese from certain dishes if you're vegan (just ask). We liked El Maple so much that we ate there four out of our six nights in Quito. Needless to say, we highly recommend El Maple and wish we had a restaurant like it, now that we're back home!

Pros: diverse offerings, great value, friendly staff

Cons: sometimes run out of things

Excellent - Edit

I found El Maple a very good choice, even my non-veggie traveling companion really enjoyed it. The entrance is easily confused with another restaurant so take care. Oddly, the concierge called all the other places listed but could not get through. El Maple doesn't have a phone number listed but we stumbled across it. Finding other veggie options in Quito was not difficult either. Most establishments have nice options besides pasta and pizza.

Pros: Lots of food, Great taste, Friendly

Cons: Closed early, No phone listed

Huge meals and friendly service - Edit

I found the service at El Maple great. While the food was not the best I have ever had, I found the vege stew and stirfry rice pretty good. Beware...the portions are huge and they close at 9pm (which makes it difficult to stuff down a huge meal!). I think El Maple is a good option for vege dining in Quito, which is pretty scarce (especially if you're tired of pizza and pasta.) It's a high 3 rating.

Pros: Big portions, Pretty healthy, Friendly service

Cons: Closes at 9pm, Could be tastier

hit the spot - Edit

Gotta disagree with the above poster. I had a killer veggie burger (with mushrooms, avocado, and soy mayonnaise), a side of papas fritas, and some tree tomato juice for five bucks.

Pros: semi-outdoor seating, cheap, tasty

Cons: semi-outdoor seating, no vegan dessert

Return to Quito Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Maple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4593 times since Aug 2007.