First Review by veglife00

Good food on the cheap! - Edit

Came here for lunch while walking around the city center. Location was very convenient being just a short walk from Plaza de Armas. We got the executive menu—which included a soup or salad, a main course of choice, a drink, and a dessert—all for 10 soles. Ordering was a bit of an issue for us because the menu was in Spanish only and none of the staff members spoke English. At least they understood the word "vegano" and were able to tell me what to pick. The dessert of the day was a caramel milk pudding, so they gave me fruit instead. The manager was also very kind; he came over to our table to advice us to hide our belongings from public eyes while dining. (Apparently it's not uncommon for criminals to snatch whatever they see and run off...)

For our main courses, we ended up getting the seitan milanese and a broccoli tempura sort of dish, both served with a tangy brown rice and a small salad. They were surprisingly good and just hit the spot. Plus the portions were huge! All our fellow diners seemed to be local people, which is always a promising sign.

Pros: great value, location, nice staff

Cons: no english

Cheap & Good Food! - Edit

There was no restaurant signage on the top - it's a red building, just near Presidential Palace (Palacio de Gobierno). We tried the executive menu for 10 PEN per person - had a drink, soup, soup and a main - Lomo Saltado. Be careful of desserts - ask for apple sauce instead of yoghurt with honey.

Pros: Cheap, In the centre

Cons: Some sweets contain honey., Don't speak English

Good food, busy, friendly service - Edit

Great for lunch, multiple vegetarian options and some vegan (maybe not strict) on set menu for 7-10 soles in June 2013. Basic but tasty, plentiful serving size. Juices are extra but great.

Pros: Multiple choices, Near to central Lima - plaza de armas, Good food, good size servings

Cons: Busy but that is a good sign. Service good

Great food in a great location - Edit

I just happened upon this restaurant while walking from Plaza San Martin to Plaza Mayor in the city center of Lima. The food was excellent! I had a vegan version of lomo saltado (a widely popular Peruvian dish). All of the meateaters with me enjoyed the restaurant as well. Also, they give you *tons* of food for only 9 soles (a meal-sized soup or salad, an entree, a drink, and dessert) and a very talented string player provides a nice atmosphere. They also sell some vegan proteins and other foods (with a small grocery behind the counter).

Pros: excellent food, generous portions, centrally located

Return to Lima Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Manantial closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1696 times since Mar 2013.