El Maderal

Contact 932470034

Carrer de Lepant 220, Barcelona, Spain, 08013

Vegan tapas cafe and beverages bar located between La Sagrada Familia and l’Auditori. Serves sweet and savory dishes. Has taps, gintonics, wines, and natural cellars; variety of juices, shakes, and smoothies plus tea, coffee with plant-based milk. Food served until 10:45pm on weekdays. Open Tue-Sat 3:00pm-12:00am, Wed-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Spanish

First Review by hack_man

Unpleasant experience. Try again. - Edit

I do not usually leave opinions about the restaurants I visit, but this time I'd like to share my experience.
I had dinner with my vegetarian girlfriend. The place is cozy, but at the same time have the sensation it is cold as well as the staff: not a smile at any time, nor told us hello.
We were advised to order 4 or 5 dishes because they were small, and indeed the dishes were very small, the russian salad was like... watery and the quantity was ridiculous: literally two tablespoons with three sticks of badly cut toast on top. We tought it was a joke.
The service was slow, always missing something, anyway it was not important, we were not in a hurry. But when my girlfriend requested the dishes to the waitress, she replied in a very impolite way. No comment.
The food was nothing special, almost everything arrived without taste and plenty of oil (or just dirty or don't know what) footprints on the plates.
I think it was very expensive for so small rations and bad customer service.
A very unpleasant experience. We left there hungry and went to eat a pizza.
I do not suggest it at all.

Pros: cozy

Cons: unpolite, expansive, bad quality/price

The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had - Edit

There is nothing to fear at El Maderal other than when it's time to leave. I had the pleasure of meeting Harp the Barcelona Happy Cow Ambassador in April 2016 and we discussed this new place on the Barca vegan scene. It's only a short walk from Arc de Triomf and adjacent to the former bullfighting arena chamber of horrors, The Monumental. We were expecting a typical beer / trash food pub experience but how wrong we were. This is a modern, smart and elegant place decked in clean efficient wood panelling. Very neat & tidy. It's set up for high class high tabled vegan tapas dining but it also has a traditional seated bar area for drinks and chit chat. We had a couple of Catalonian craft beers to wash down a succulent seitan skewer and an aubergine, garlic and tahini dip with bread. As expected with tapas, portion sizes are quite small and at around €5 to €10 each, not cheap. The quality however was astonishing. After a second visit in November 2016 and a sumptuous two and three quarter hour dining experience full of intense flavour, friendly conversation and vegan fulfilment I have had to upgrade my original review from April 2016 from 4 to 5 Happy Cows. When I realised there are 120 gins available here I took the opportunity of ending the night with a gin and tonic. The gin was a Macaronesian from The Canary Islands, made to perfection and made with love and attention. This is a place we will always make room to return to in Barcelona.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-19

Pros: excellent food , Huge gin & wine selection , friendly & modern

Cons: NONE

Sublime vegan bar - Edit

I first visited this restaurant for a light lunch in April 2016 . I was surprised at how sophisticated the restaurant looked as I was expecting something much more casual. The vegan tapas we had the pleasure of eating were exceptional, they seemed to focus on quality as opposed to quantity as the dishes weren't very big but were most definitely worth the price. The seitan skewers we ordered were on another level, it was the most mouth watering seitan I had ever had. We envisaged revisiting at night to try a larger variety of the tempting dishes.

We came back for an evening dining experience during our next visit to Barcelona in November 2016. I've been following the amazing reviews that El Maderal has been receiving since we last visited and was suprised to see a recent review that was extremely critical. I feared that it had lost it's magic but I left thinking that it had actually improved. The food was amazing. The staff were attentive, friendly and described every course in knowledge and eloquent detail. This restaurant is in my personal top 3, the list being shared with 2 other superb veggie establishments in Barcelona, my only regret is that I can't visit more often.

Updated from previous review on 2016-04-15

Pros: Stylish tapas bar.Delicious vegan food., Friendly and knowledgable staff, Stylish

Cons: NONE

Disappointing - Edit

The food is nothing special since they have changed cook (Although in their facebook they continue to publicize the name of the former cook!!).
The dishes are bland and prepared without any love. The service is slow and neither they can explain you how the food is made!
The staff argued with each other and was unhelpful and uneducated with us, if you ask something, it is as if you was annoying them! Incredible!! It's a pity... the food has no comparison with what they served when newly opened,
The last time we went, we found it a fraud for the costumers.
We went many times at the beginning but will not be back.

Pros: nice place, small, beer

Cons: dedicate to other things, choose a more educated staff, find a good cook

So good - Edit

This is honestly some of the best vegan food I've ever had. The dishes are small and it's the kind of place you order 2 or 3 things each and share if you want. The burger is brilliant, as is the raw canneloni with cashew cheese, the wine is incredible, and the service and atmosphere are as good as any top-end restaurant. It's a little pricey but not over-the-top (we spent about 65 euros on two beers, a bottle of wine, and five dishes, between two of us). Ideal for a date or occasion, only about five or six tables in there so it's quiet and intimate. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Pros: Quality , Service, Atmosphere

Cons: None, Nothing, None

The Best Vegan Burger I've ever had - Edit

Service was excellent, the vegan burger was superb, juicy, flavorful, the best I've had. The smoothie wasn't cold enough so I'm not too crazy about it. Overall a cozy little place. Great for socializing, though I went on my own as I'm traveling in Barcelona.

Pros: Fully vegan, Good food

Wow! Just wow! - Edit

The food was spectacular! You have to try the seitan and mushroom dish. The food presentation and quality make this place a 5-star restaurant at 2-star prices. You really wouldn't notice that it is vegan only, but it is such a great option for a vegan foodie. All ingredients are specifically selected and directly sourced when possible. The staff is very knowledgeable and passionate. I haven't been this impressed with a restaurant in quite some time. Me Encanto este lugar!

Do not miss! - Edit

Popped in as I had an hour spare before leaving for the airport. So glad I did. Incredibly relaxed, small bar-style place with the most amazing tapas selection. I had a mushroom and seitan dish which was mind blowing, but everything on the menu looked beautiful. Everything is made from scratch and the man serving was the friendliest, most helpful person you could imagine. Can't wait to return.

Special Place - Edit

This is a very fancy place, a very upmarket feel to it. Perfect service, absolutely delicious food. The menu is all very well thought out, small sharing plates. I think the waiter said they stock 100 gins, there are also crafts beers and organic wines. I couldn't fault this place on food or service but the I found the vibe a little uptight hence the 4 stars.

Well worth a visit - Edit

Really enjoyed our meal here. The food was tasty and filling, the atmosphere was welcoming and the service was knowledgeable and attentive. Great to be able to support a good all vegan restaurant. Only about 10 minutes' walk from sagrada familia.

Pros: knowledgeable friendly service, good location, great food

Cons: a little pricey

Outstanding, what a find. - Edit

We have just come back from a weekend in Barcelona and were pleasantly surprised by the choice and quality of the vegan restaurant there. But this one was truly outstanding, maybe the best vegan restaurant we have ever been to anywhere. We went late on a Saturday afternoon. Our waiter was fantastic and a credit to the place. He had an excellent knowledge of the menu and talked us through their extensive and excellent wine list. He made us feel very welcome. As for the food where do I start? It is a tapas based restaurant. We went for six dishes between us and all of them were great, some truly outstanding like the cannelloni or the burger. The deserts too were amazing. This is vegan dining of the highest order.
They also have 120 different gins to choose from which we thought it would be rude not to try. Their specialist gin man made us a G&T with a gin from Majorca with lemon and ginger. Best G&T I’ve ever had.
As you can probably tell we loved the place. A little bit more expensive than some places but we are talking high end dining and worth every euro.

Pros: Truly outstanding food, Great staff, Great decor and ambiance

Cons: Non what so ever

Amazing! - Edit

Beautiful place with delicious tapas. All vegan, GF options.
Good music, big selection of vegan wines and beers
All dishes beautifully presented and desserts light and delicious

Pros: All vegan, Nice space, Good service

Cons: no cons

Exquisite - Edit

We had one raw canneloni (9.50€) as well as a burger (7.50€) and both was really delicious and flavorful!
Consider that the portions aren't the biggest.
However, definitely don't miss the banana/chocolate/pb smoothie, it is the best!

Pros: Tasty, Friendly waiter

Cons: A bit expensive

Wonderful place with the best food! - Edit

This was my favorite place to eat in Barcelona and I`m sure I`ll visit again when I return. Everything we had was absolutely delicious! I loved the Portobello mushrooms on flatbread with cauliflower cream and smoked tofu. The burgers and smoothies were great too. My boyfriend really loved the seitan skewers. I just had a bite or two and I must say, it was the best seitan I ate.

Wow!! Best vegan gourmet tapas! - Edit

I prefer a square meal to tapas, and vegan tapas are hard to find (besides potatoes - which I don't generally eat) - so I don't eat tapas very often. But the food at El Maderal is so good that I already want to go back.

The prices add up, but it's worth it. Also the all-vegan desserts are excellent - I had a vanilla mousse which may have been the most delicious vegan dessert I've ever had! - and I'm very picky about my vegan desserts.

The restaurant interior is small but extremely well designed and presented. We also had an excellent and very professional waiter who said he was from Ecuador, but spoke near-native English.

HIGHLY recommended!

The Best Tapas! - Edit

I visited this place with my partner, such a fantastic atmosphere for a romantic evening. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable, spoke perfect English and was very attentive. Every single was divine, we had the croquettes (our faves- so good we ordered 2 more!), the potatas bravas, the lentil pate, seitan and mushroom and I can't remember the other dish but every single one was delicious. We had the raspberry truffles for dessert which were also great, moist and fruity. The total bill was 55euros including a drink (pint) each. the sangria was great too. We are considering going again it was that good.

Pros: Incredible food, impeccable service

Cons: not cheap, indoor seating is bar stools so not the

amazing! - Edit

of all the places we tried in barcelona, this was my absolute favorite. we so enjoyed the vegan tapas, staff was incredibly helpful and lovely, and we had a very pleasant couple of hours. the price is a bit high, but worth EVERY euro. you won't regret paying a visit to this lovely place!

Best restaurant in Barcelona! - Edit

Such a nice little place with a great atmosphere! Very friendly staff. I especially recommend their burger and the zucchini cannelloni but everything was tasty! Very nice sangria and gin and tonic. It is a bit pricy but it's worth it. We came back twice during our trip :)

High quality tapas - Edit

This restaurant offers a selection of quality and unique tapas. Prices are a little high but not too extortionate.
The patatas bravas were great, the lentil burger delicious and the pick of the dishes was the croquettes.
I wasn't as over impressed with the seitan dish as others here even though it was tasty but I expected more for 10 euros.
The gin list was huge but we opted for the special fruity beers. The staff were friendly and offered an explanation and an English menu.
Free Wi-Fi.

Pros: Creative dishes, Intimate

Cons: A little pricey

Fancy Tapas - Edit

El Maderal is quite a fancy, elegant place, and the prices reflect that. We had some croquettes, which were extremely convincingly buttery and cheesy! The patatas bravas were nice, but the aubergine pate was a bit too bitter. We also had some kind of long cracker topped with chopped cauliflower and sliced mushrooms. It was absolutely sensational, though difficult to share! I would recommend this place if you're looking for somewhere a bit more upmarket.

Simply the best. - Edit

We visited tonight, based on other reviews. We weren't disappointed. This was our 3rd and final Vegan restaurant of our trip (others were Bar Celoneta and Teresa Carles). All were enjoyable but this was simply fantastic. So many options, so much flavour, delicious G&T.

We recommend the Burger, it was unbelievable. Croquettes were delicious as was everything else we tried. 6 dishes were enough for 2 of us but we couldn't resist another burger between us.

Price is a little higher than other vegan places but the quality justifies it.

Pros: Many choices, many flavours, all delicious., Gin & tonic was fruity and fresh, fantastic.

Cons: None.

Best meal I've ever had vegan or otheriwse! (La mejor comida que he tenido vegano o de otra manera !) - Edit

I would highly recommend El Maderal. The food is excellent, We order 6 tapas which was a great recommendation from the waiter.

We had:
bread with ugly tomoatoes - slices of heirloom
tomatos with a homemade rosemary? focaccia

Mushroom and smoked tofu tapa - the tofu is incredibly delicious, the mushrooms weren't cooked but I think it'd be delicious either way.

Croquettes - No ham! yay!

Seitan skewers - If you get any dish, get this one. Amazing and deliciously prepared.

smoked aubergine tartar - really good

patatas bravas - best bravas I had on my trip!

For dessert we tried the passion fruit (foam), which was again, incredible. Our beers and cocktails were really great. The waiter was really great as well! Plus we were able to catch and hail a taxi across the street.

Pros: Grea bear selection., English menu., Excellent staff.

Cons: None.

Exquisite vagan tapas, a bit pricey - Edit

The tapas at El Maderal is inventive and very tasty. In fact, they probably offer the most sophisticated vegan food I have tried in Barcelona. This is where you should go if you want to impress someone.

Unfortunately, you are going to have to pay a lot if you want to feel very full. The tapas are around 6-8 euros each, and the portions are very small (I know it's tapas, but still!).

Still definitely worth a visit for something a bit more fancy than the usual casual style of vegan restaurants in Barcelona!

Pros: Delicious tapas, creative recipes, perfect for impressing someone

Cons: Expensive, very small portions

Para impresionar a cualquiera - Edit

Es un local pequeño, aunque sí que tienen una mesa para 6 o más vale la pena reservar. Es bastante tranquilo y se agradece.
La comida es exquisita. Las croquetas son espectaculares y aunque tus acompañantes no sean veganos no se van a dar ni cuenta. La burguer con shiitake es la mejor hamburguesa que he comido nunca, con un partes que parecían queso fundido en textura.
Las tapas en general son muy buenas. Las bravas no pican mucho pero la salsa es espectacular. Y la comida llena.
El servicio es estupendo. Eso sí, no es barato.

Pros: 100% vegan , Delicioso todo, Servicio de lujo

Cons: Reserva si sois muchos, Es caro

the best food - Edit

Words which I mean when I think about El Maderal is unbelivable, amazing and delicious. The best food I have ever eaten! This restaurant is some kind a Must Have of Barcelona vegan food. You have to visit this place when you're in the city.

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Maderal closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3583 times since Apr 2016.