El Huerto

2-332690

Orrego Luco 54 Providencia (at Region Metropolitana), Santiago, Chile

Nice rustic decor, has an English menu and some English spoken. Soups, set plates (4000-6000 pesos), brown rice, desserts. Has vegan mains, salads, desserts and at least one soup. Nearest subway is Pedro de Valdivia. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:30pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Indian, International, Middle Eastern

First Review by button

Delicious but expensive - Edit

This has been the best vegan experience in santiago. Delicious food and many many options on the menu. Portion sizes are great, and the flavors are stunning. The decor is great and the place is always full. The atmosphere was great. Be willing to pay a bit more than usual here, prices are a bit ''salty''.

Caro, pero lo vale - Edit

Las opciones veganas que he probado son maravillosas, entre las que recomiendo la chicana vegana y la ensalada california vegana creo que se llama. La comida es muy sabrosa y contundente. La atención es algo lenta y faltan postres veganos.

Pros: taste, excellent food

Cons: price, non all vegan, non vegan desserts

Quality Vegetarian food in Santiago - Edit

Went to El Huerto Several times during my stay in Santiago, as it was the nearest vegetarian restaurant by my hotel. Was good surprised to find a restaurant that cares about food quality and good service .
The prices though, are rather on the high end

Pros: high quality ingredients, friendly staff

Nice Dinner in Santiago - Edit

My partner and I really enjoyed our meal at El Huerto. The atmosphere and service were probably 5 stars whereas our food was more like 3.5 stars overall. I had the vegan veggie stir fry and he had a plate with a selection of Indian food. We shared the vegan ceviche. We both really liked our main dishes although we agreed they could have each had a bit more spice. We wouldn't order the vegan ceviche again, which was flavored heavily with seaweed. I really like seaweed but this was even a bit much for me. Still, I should emphasize this was a really nice meal. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and try other options on the menu.

One of the best meals in Chile - Edit

We planned an entire evening around coming to El Huerto and we weren't disappointed.

We sat in their lovely outdoor area but the restaurant itself is very chic. Our meal was spectacular, we had the Indian plate and the Mediterranean special. The praline and passionfruit (maracuyá) dessert is to die for. Pisco sours and Araucaria (Monkey Puzzle Tree) liquor are on the drink menu as well as Guayacán beer, local to the Elqui Valley.

They do have an English menu and some of the servers speak English. They were super friendly.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff

Expansive but worth it - Edit

When I went there I was a bit surprised by the price and the atmosphere (more "fancy" than I thought). They had few vegan options, but they had a special all-vegan "Indian menu" for around $7000 which included a soup, various typical foods (dhal, masala, chutney, etc.) and salad with bread & pebre as usual, + a VERY small dessert. My friend had a (big) slice of (non-vegan) quiche w/ salad for around 6000-6500.
Given the quality of the menu, I'd say that the price was indeed a bit high but okay, in comparison with other restaurants in the area (Pedro de Valdivia).

Pros: Crowded but nice atmosphere, Good and tasty food

Cons: High prices, Few vegan options

nice but poor food - Edit

Slow service and food came cold
Frustrating experience

Pros: nice atmosphere

Cons: poor food

Awesome meal - Edit

I went to this place around three times in my stay in Santiago, and while I initially thought the price was a little high, after comparing to other restaurants I can say is totally worthy.

The food is tasty and with good portions. Compared to other restaurants of this type this restaurant provides "real" tasty food, not just an alternative .

Pros: Good portions, Very tasty, Typical chilean dishes

Cons: Price according to the area

Outstanding vegan options - Edit

Great eatery in Santiago.
I had the house special, which changes every week. The special (labeled "Hortelano") is a "journey inspired by different regions and cultures of the world" The week I was in Santiago the Hortelano was "Habanero Vegano" and it was exquisite. The dish included a Caribbean salad with advocate and mango with mojo dressing and mint. Spicy black beans beans pottage with baked pineapple, plantain chips and quinoa croquette. Also included was a tasting of squash curry with coconut milk and spinach.
Good selection of Chilean organic wines and excellent service in a relaxed and casual environment.
Easy walk from Los Leones Metro.

Pros: The Hortelano special, Creative cuisine, Close to Metro

Great place to visit - Edit

It's a nice place, bilingual menu, not specially vegan but vegetarian. Easy to find, near a subway station (Pedro de Valdivia) it has a warm atmosphere, the portions are good in size and they taste great. A little pricey but it is located in a part of the city where every interesting place is pricey. They have a nice wine list and a very professional and capable staff.

Pros: Great food, Good location, Spacious

Cons: Few vegan options, pricey

Few vegan options, but the food is great - Edit

As a vegan, I expected more options from this restaurant, but there was only one main dish. It was excellent however, and very large portions. The atmosphere was nice, and I was able to get by on my elemtentary Spanish.

Pros: Large portions, Healthy options, Warm atmosphere

Cons: A little pricey, Few options for vegans

Best meal in South America!! - Edit

I've been to this place twice and will continue to go whilst in Santiago. The staff are so friendly, the decor is cool- there are even hooks under the table to hang up your bag. But the best thing... The food!! Wow. So healthy and delicious with generous sizes and a huge variety too. During the summer there are often musicians playing music outside adding to the ambiance.

Pros: great food, friendly staff

Cons: could he a bit expensive for some people

AMAZING! - Edit

I love this restaurant! I come to Chile frequently with work and always look forward to eating here my first evening in Santiago after a long flight. The food is wholesome and tasty. Try the Oriental stir-fry -- it is prepared with great attention to detail. It feels as though love is put into the food at El Huerto -- something you might not experience every day in South America.

Pros: Wholesome, Pleasant Outdoor Seating, Good karma food

Cons: Servers can be standoffish, Drink options not found on menu

much better than remembered - Edit

been here 2 years ago before I turned fully vegan and didn't remember it as an exciting place.
but today I was really satisfied with my visit. there are even a few fully vegan meals in the menu, where you don't have to ask to get them done without cheese. we had some great starters with some mixed plates with hummus, couscous etc.
my friends enjoyed their mexican vegetarian dish and the vegetarian lasagne, while i had some great vegan mexican main dish. I also had some kind of vegan poppyseed-cheese cake/muffin, which was good.
everything was really good, but not amazing. the service was fast and friendly and the english menu is always a big plus. I was a bit surprised, that they don't offer soymilk (or other non dairy) with their coffee.
I also think they could offer less dishes with cheese in generell.
We went their during lunchtime on a tuesday and it was really packed and I personally think that 10USD for a main dish is not too overprized.

Pros: nice atmosphere, English menu, mainly plant based meals

Cons: few pure vegan options, no soy milk

Rather expensive - Edit

I thought it had an atmosphere of vego food being hard to provide and therefore justifying the high expense of eating there. We ate there in 2010 and came back in June 2013 on our return to Chile. It was the standard of what a normal alternative cafe outlet in Australia provides but with somewhat boutique prices.
We sat for 9 minutes at an outside table before even getting the menu; this despite the lady being close by. She was too busy setting out cutlery at other tables to be bothered stopping to hand us the menu; this despite being right next to us. Vegetarian places are not exempt from providing deferential service to customers. The menu seems to have not changed in the intervening years.
Not in itself a bad thing. But the orange juice I ordered was very bitter.
The food I had was central American and only acceptable rather than outstanding
Because not thrilled with the service or the food we were not going to leave a tip.
The waitress delayed our departure by demanding a tip; so we acceded and tipped her. But surely that is the customer's choice and if one does not want to, the staff should examine themselves as to why rather than embarrassing the guests who were paying a considerable sum for basically salad and beans anyway. I wasn't angry or anything- just kind of dissatisfied with the price and the service; and the quality of the food. It was like we should have been honoured to get a meal without dead animals in carnivore-friendly Latin America. No hard feelings but we will not be returning. Try making the customer feel welcome amigos, and pretend to be glad to see us.

Pros: big portions

Cons: Poor service, unfriendly

Good not excellent - Edit

This extremely busy (I visited on a Sunday where a lot is closed which may have something to do with it) restaurant in Santiago was good but not outstanding. The food was served promptly (I got my entree with the main) but it was only a nice meal. I was dining alone so I wanted wifi but this wasn`t working which is one of the down points as is the fact that one waitress wiping a table dropped the cloth on the floor, picked it up and continued to wipe the table (I acknowledge that maybe my western hygine standards are too high). The price of the meal was slightly higher than I expected but not too much. I would probably choose another closer vegetarian restaurant next time I`m back in Santiago however if I find myself here on a Sunday then I would return.

Splendid! - Edit

This place is simply amazing, I have been there several times and I am always happily surprised by the quality of the food, do not miss their juices and vitamin waters and lemonades, they're amazing. The prices are a bit higher than your average place and that is because this is truly a fine Vegan, Vegetarian and Raw cuisine, the place is gorgeous, great location and a very big menu.

Pros: Menu options, Quality of the food, Place is large and great location

Cons: A bit Expensive but is worth it

March 2013 - Edit

Nice place with a good menu. Healthy options but taste can be improved. The entrees cost about 6,000 pesos and the appetizers about 3,500 pesos.

Pros: Nice menu, Healthy options

Cons: Bland food

Return to Santiago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Huerto closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.