El Germen

• Veg-friendly
Contact n/a

231 San Alberto, Sucre, Bolivia,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a veggie menu. Lunch 12-2pm serving soup, main dish, and pudding. Also vegan options like tofu curry. Only coffee and cake served in the afternoon.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Bolivian, Non-veg

First Review by iceicekati

Nice lunch menu for a fair price - Edit

We had lunch at El Germen in September 10, 2015. We got there around 12:30 and asked for the lunch menu + a lentil burger, both very good. The menu price was Bs 24, very fair indeed. The quinoa soup was really delicious and the main dish (there were two options that day) as well. From what I saw, they hardly have vegan dessert, though. I don't remember of what was the drink we had, but it was delicious, incredible taste. The place is not very inviting, somewhat dark and poorly ventilated. Definitely not the most friendly staff in Bolivia.

Pros: Fair price, Good location, Good food in a big portions

Cons: Few vegan options in the menu, Somewhat dark dining room, Poorly ventilated

Mainly Vegetarian, Sometimes Vegan - Edit

El German is a great spot for the 3 course lunch at $24bs. You get bread with salsa, soup, a choice of 2 main courses and a desert. The soup is always vegan and they normally have one vegan main course option, but check with the staff first. The food is good, portions large. However, since discovering Prem which has just opened on Calle Grau #209 we went there instead for lunch every day for 2 weeks as the food is even better and always vegan.

Pros: 2 choices of main course, Tasty food, Good price

Cons: Not always a vegan option, Rarely vegan desert

Good lunch menus - Edit

We went there for lunch. For 24Bs you'll get a soup, main dish, dessert and a drink. There we 2 options for the main course, one vegan and other vegetarian. The lentil burgers were good, the other one not so much, it was a wheat pie a bit sour and salty and would need some salad to "break the taste". Staff was ok, one guy wasn't that nice but the other was very nice. It probably needs some more lights! We didn't try them but there were really good looking cakes in the refrigerator. They also had some cookies and other snacks to take away.

Pros: Good lunch menus, Inexpensive, Centric

Cons: Not only vegetarian, Not outstanding food

not many vegan options - Edit

Staff had no english, tofu curry was nice but pricey. Salad was tasteless with no dressing &pricey for what you get. Lunch menu was not vegan friendly

Pros: easy to find

Cons: needs more flavour, more vegan options are needed

Great variety - Edit

Love this restaurant for the set lunch. We ate here 10-11 times and the set lunch was different every time. It was tasty, and sometimes super delicious, each visit. Servings are large and prices inexpensive. The space is small and tends to fill up at lunch time so you must arrive early. However, if it is full you can always join a table. We met some terrific, interesting people that way so no problem. To further attest to the quality, many local people eat here who are not strictly vegetarian.

Pros: quality, quantity, price

El Germen (Sucre) - Edit

set menu at lunch time cost only 20 bolivares and is good value for money: we had tasty tomato soup, main dish with quinoa, vegetables and soy beans and a small but yummy desert (yougurt with fruit) and a glass of cold thee

Dinner cost approx 30 bolivares and was also tasty and good portion: rice, coliflower and brocoli with curry saus and soy bean mock meat

Pros: big choose menu, tasty, library to exchange books

Cons: bit slow service, only spanish spoken

Not many Vegan options - Edit

We ate here today, arrived at 11:45 and ordered by 12pm. We wanted the set lunch menu that everyone was raving about, costing 20 bolivianos, but when we asked the lady if it was vegan she said "no" and was quite stressy about it, I asked in spanish if it had cheese "no" cream? "si", so I questioned the tofu curry, turned out that had cream too. So I asked what food on the menu was vegan, to which she responded with a sharp "falafel". We were pleased enough with this as my partner and I had been craving these for a while, but after we waited, 50 mins later she brought out what looked and tasted more like battered bread balls. We couldn't taste any chickpea, garlic or spices in it. Most disappointed to be honest.
I think if you are vegetarian the place had plenty of mouth watering options, but as vegan, don't waste your time.

Hope this helps!

Pros: Fruit Juice, Location, Price

Cons: Staff, Lack of Vegan food, Lack of taste

Good food - Edit

Good set menu for 15-20bs which includes soup, main, dessert, and drink. Also has a decent selection of other things that you can choose from the menu at reasonable prices.

Pros: set menu, price, close to plaza

Cons: crowded, small portions

Good Veg Option - Edit

Lots of options to choose from here. I had the falafel lunch, not too bad but there is better in town. There are lots of options on this menu from cheap to mid-range (for Bolivia). Guaranteed something for everyone, also with a cheap daily running menu.

Pros: friendly staff, baked goods, vegan options

Cons: dark dinning area

Best veg food I`ve had in Bolivia - Edit

We had the set lunch, good veg soup, pastel de quinoa was really yummy, very big portion, and applesauce like my grandma used to make for dessert... mmm! Overall very good and big meal for 17 bolivianos. Also sell yummy looking cookies and desserts. As far as I saw it is totally veg. Check it out!

Pros: delicious, big portions, sell cookies and desserts

Cons: book exchange kind of poor

Return to Sucre Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Germen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 956 times since Oct 2008.