First Review by SynthVegan

absolutely great authentic mexican food with soya - Edit

this is a no frills family style restaurant that has really great flavor/ seasoning in their soy meats. salsa is authentic and original. guac is well made. there were at least 15-20 different veg options available. Price is incredibly reasonable. I will definitely be coming back.
It has become my new favorite veg-mex in chicago!!

tres leches cake is excellent although not vegan. not too sweet, and not too heavy.

Updated from previous review on Monday January 25, 2016

Pros: plenty of veg choices, price, authentic flavor.

Cons: parking on street can be difficult

Was disappointed. :( - Edit

It seems that El Faro has been around forever and always has been known as a veggie-friendly destination. My boyfriend and I checked it out for the first time recently, and, although there were an impressive amount of veg items on the menu, the food itself was just okay. If I happened to be in the area again, I would check it out and give it another try.

Pros: Many options, Inexpensive, Cozy, warm atmosphere

Cons: Not the best food

A Little "El Far-o" From The City, But Cheap. :) - Edit

I just ate here last night, and while it is a little far from the city, I found this place to be good. When my friend and I walked in, I got the family diner feeling, which is nice. We sat down and checked out what was on the menu only to find a plethora of vegetarian items and healthy smoothies/juices. The only problem, as I am a Vegan, is that they didn't really have many fully Vegan options. I was able to get various items without cheese, egg, or mayonnaise [thereby making it Vegan], but it would have been nice if they did have substitutes. My friend (not veggie or Vegan) said this was the best tasting Mexican meal with fake meat in it. He also got a strawberry smoothie [apparently Vegan] that looked quite tasty. On top of everything this place was EXTREMELY CHEAP!!! We ordered a ton of stuff including that smoothie [a mere $1.75] and our bill was $15! Wow! Overall the food was good and everyone was very nice!

[Oh and be careful, one of their menu items says it contains soy cheese; I asked about it and was told they don't have soy cheese.]

Pros: Cheap

Cons: Won't drive out of my way for though...

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Faro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1182 times since Aug 2008.