El Encuentro - Sta Catalina Ancha

Contact 225496

Sta. Catalina Ancha 384, Cusco, Peru,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Menu is vegetarian and vegan except for tuna fish (added 2014). Kitchen breaks in the afternoon before dinner service. Sits 2 blocks from Plaza de Armas.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Peruvian, Non-veg

First Review by PrafulaMalde

Some vegan options - Edit

We visited here after going to Green Point for lunch. The menu is petty extensive. I recall there being a handful of vegan options. We went with a burger and lomo saltado. The burger was very basic but okay. And the lomo saltado was okay. It wasn't my favorite place in Cusco but glad there was a variety of vegan options.

Not the BEST veg place in Cusco, but still great. - Edit

This place is located right in the touristy part of Cusco, and I think considering that, the prices are quite good. Going for the set lunch menu is the best deal. You get salad, soup, entre, and tea for 8 soles. I don't recommend the lentil burgers, I got one one time and it was a little overcooked. The french freis are really good though! I also had the face meat sandwich once (supposed to be llama I think) and it was quite rich and meaty, I was almost was unable to finish it. Not my favorite veggie place, but again if you get the set lunch menue its a great deal and you will leave full!

Pros: Cheap, Ideally Located, Fresh, hot food.

Cons: Busy During Lunch (Have to Share Tables), Bread on the sandwiches isn't great

cozy veg place - Edit

Should have checked if the menu of the day as vegan because it was much cheaper than the regular items. my husband got a burger which he said was alright and I got a seitan and veggie stir fry which was quite good and a huge portion. ALL in all it was pretty good.

Great, Cheap Lunch Special! - Edit

We checked the menu, and this location is all veg. The lunch special is much better value than the menu - at least 4 soles cheaper than other main dishes, and huge. Ours came with a huge, filling soup, a plate of salad, rice, "meatballs", potatoes and coca tea - so much food that we had leftovers for dinner AND breakfast.

Pros: Huge Portions, Cheap Menu Del Dia

Cons: Regular Menu Expensive

Dinner was a good value - Edit

I stopped by for dinner last night. Currently it's 7 soles for dinner (May 2015). You get a bowl of soup, the main plate, and a cup of tea. A very good value in this expensive region of Peru. Good location only a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas.

Lunch is 8 soles, probably for a larger meal than that served at dinner time. I didn't have enough time to try them for lunch.

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 16, 2015

Pros: Good food, Price good, Location

great location - Edit

I ate lunch here one day &it was good, it was vegan friendly, had salad,main,juice,&soup for 8 or 9 soles, staff understood what vegan was. Shaman raw food restaurant next door in court yard great for dinner

Pros: easy to find, friendly staff, vegan friendly

Imprenscindible - Edit

Restaurante vegetariano muy frecuentado por los locales.
Comida nutritiva y sabrosa que varia todos los días.
Precios de menú muy muy muy económicos.
el menu cambia en cada servicio y es es excelente.

Vegetarian restaurant frequented by locals.
Nutritious and tasty food that varies every day.
Menu prices cheap. the menu changed every day and it is excellent.

Pros: price, quality

El Encuentro - Edit

This restaurant was certainly an encuentro during my two-month stay in Cusco. I escaped nearly every day to have lunch or dinner in this cozy place, where I was always sure to find a fellow traveler or two. Since it's small, many patrons share tables, which added to the allure for me.

Looking back, I'd say some of the food was a little greasy, and the menu wasn't *that* diverse, but when you're in Peru, veggie food is hard to come by, and I'm eternally grateful for El Encuentro.

I mostly ate the sandwiches, which had yummy avocado and great Peruvian cheese (I wasn't vegan then). The nachos were also great, and some of the larger entrees were absolutely delish. All the dishes were very filling, and I usually had to take some leftovers.

The staff was very kind, as well. :)

Definitely check it out.

Pros: Avocados, Safe vegetables, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: Greasy (just a little)

Good food, serves tuna :( - Edit

Daily 6 sole set menu can usually be made vegan, and is quite good, but we were very disappointed to find that this place serves tuna :(. Staff is helpful and the place gets packed up for lunch. Also, just so you know, the didn't tell us but the veggie burger buns have egg and milk in them.

Pros: cheap set meals, good food, good service.

Cons: Not vegetarian, buns have egg and milk, can be packed

Best value veggie set menus - Edit

El Encuentro has really cheap and good set menus for lunch. It's 6 soles for salad, soup, an entree, dessert, tea, and bread. The food is hearty, Peruvian-style vegetarian, and also very healthy. There are also plenty of a la carte menu options, and the soya saltado, a version of a meaty Peruvian dish, is particularly good. Service can be a bit scattered and slow, but this is a good place to eat, particularly for lunch

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty food

Cons: Slow service

El Encuentro - Edit

This small restaurant gets very busy but has excellent selection of meals. The food is very good and the portions are very generous. They have menu of the day for under 7 sols. Ended up eating five out of our 8 meals here. Service a bit slow but they do make everything fresh.

Pros: Excellent value, Excellent food, Generous portions

Cons: gets very busy, slow service

Return to Cusco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Encuentro - Sta Catalina Ancha closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1848 times since Aug 2007.