El Eden Veggie Cafe

• Vegetarian

Ave Manuel Larrea y Calle Riofrio (at near the Basilica, old town), Quito, Ecuador,

Local veggie almuerzos (lunch) as well as veggie hot dogs, empanadas, and more. A no frills and cheap place, lovely family running the place and making their own seitan (gluten mockmeat). Has some health products for sale.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Ecuadorian

First Review by plonitalmoni

Overall fair - Edit

Inexpensive eatery that provides decent food.
Don't expect anything fancy, the menu is pretty down-to-earth. You'll be served quickly and your hunger will be satisfied, that's basically it.
Worth noting that the place can be pretty stuffed at peak times. Also worth noting that the staff understand what 'vegan' means and will gladly advise you.
No place to meet with place or to sit around for longer, on the other hand perfect for a quick and cheap lunch.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-15

Pros: inexpensive, good service

Cons: venue is lacking in charm, cleanliness so-so

In between New town and Old town - Edit

Simple place with nice staff. They only speak Spanish so brush up on your vocabulary. They understood that I wanted my food vegan but when I didn't understand the two lunch options they were offering, she made up 2 plates to show me. It was so kind. I'm not sure if they have a menu or just offer two different Almuerzo options. The soup was yummy and so was all the food and juice. I couldn't finish it all. $3.00

There is also another vegetarian restaurant literally around the corner but I can't remember the name of it.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Value

Cons: Only Spanish Speaking

Cheap, basic and tasty meal - Edit

Went and asked for the set lunch. Ended up sharing a table with a nice Ecuadorian man and chatted about all different things (he ended up buying my lunch! Very nice man!).

Had a few problems at first with figuring out what was vegan and not, still not 100% sure it was vegan vegan, these little set almuerzo places move so quickly, I try and ask them questions and they are definitely not used to getting asked different things about their food.

Overall good! Had a basil soup with potatos and beans, a cup of soymilk and rose water, a main set (today's options were lasagna and salad or seitan, mashed potatoes, and salad). Went with the second and was stuffed by the time I left. Housemade seitan was really good, only wish they had given me more.

$2 set lunch, good deal. Nice servers. Nice people eating there.

Ecuadorian vegetarian - Edit

Went for set lunch.

Served typical Ecuadorian vegetarian lunch.

Started with Locro potato soup. Then they served a salad. Followed by a rice, beans, plantains, & seitan main. They also included a rose water or tea drink.

I think another reviewer confused the rose water or tea with "yellow water."

Service was prompt & friendly. It was crowded for lunch so we had to share a table with another couple. Which gave us a chance to chat with a local couple.

Pros: Good price, Fresh food, Good service

Cons: Crowded for lunch, Want alternative drink to cold tea

Not for tourists - Edit

Place was full of locals but they only had a set menu of soup and a plate with rice and some vegetables and a prepared main dish that was very unappetizing. They didn't have bottled water and the tap water was actually yellow. The soup and bread were ok and the price was cheap but we weren't sure of the safety of the food for us foreigners. In any case, the main coure that day was unappelaing and didn't have any protein. Would have picked a different place in town had we know.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Bad food, No bottled water

Return to Quito Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Eden Veggie Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1576 times since Aug 2007.