El Chupacabra - Greenwood

• Veg-friendly
Contact 206-706-4889

6711 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle, Washington, USA, 98103

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mission style Mexican food eatery and bar; this one is located on Phinney Ridge and can described as a punk rock cantina. Vegan could get rice, beans, and faux meat, and for an up-charge vegan cheese substitution in enchilada, burrito, taco, and tamale. Jukebox (free til 5pm), house made hot sauces, gluten free upon request.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Amethystle

Some pretty good food - Edit

Always fun to have some vegan Mexican food.

The good:
The people were super friendly. The drinks were strong. They have Lagunitas IPA on tap! They sub Gardein and Daiya for all their otherwise non-veg dishes. The food os not too spendy, I think it was just over $5, less than 10 at least for very nice sized portions. The tacos I got were definitely good.
They have nice outdoor patio. The flip side of that is I couldn't see the food I ate, which I enjoy.

The less than good:
Well we stayed outside because the inside was dark and loud. I think it runs late as a bar, which is fine too. The only thing, I didn't exactly vette them to see if they use different pans, boards, etc to see how vegan their vegan was. But if whoever listed this place did all that(?), then this place is pretty good.
(Could someone in the know respond to this point if they see it please?)
Anyone who likes nice people, good drinks, and vegan Mex without spending too much, should go here and have some fun.

*****
After returning it was just edible food on a hungry afternoon, nothing stellar. not likely to go back, unless hungry and right there. not advised to takeout, doesn't hold well.

Pros: cheap, gardein & daiya, nice folks

Cons: takeout backfired

Why only 4 stars? Because Happy Cow won't allow 5! - Edit

The food was *amazing*. My girlfriend and I weren't expecting anything great, even though it had a 4-star rating on Happy Cow, because there are restaurants I don't think are great but which have more than 4 stars.

But the food was amazing and (surprise!) authentic. The empanadas were like my grandmother's.

I've eaten at lots of Mexican restaurants, making due with beans and rice. This place is better than every other Mexican place I've tried in Seattle.

And yes, even the rice was amazing and authentic.

Even though Happy Cow won't allow giving 5 stars to a non-vegetarian restaurant, regardless of how amazing the vegetarian food is, be aware that in my opnion, el Chupacabra is better than some of the higher-rated vegetarian and vegan restaurants.

Pros: Cuisine

Cons: Limited seating

Yummy Burritos - Edit

El Chupacabra has great vegan options. They use Gardein and add their flavorings to doctor the vegan chicken. My go to is a burrito with vegan chicken tinga, no cheese, with lots of pineapple chipotle salsa. So delish! They have daiya, but I don't think it works with Mexican food.

Pros: burritos, vegan options , strong drinks

Cons: can be loud, long wait on weekends

Delicious & inexpensive - Edit

Awesome tasting mexican food and really reasonable prices. There are a couple of vegan meats and cheeses to choose from. I had a chik'n chimichanga and it was AWEOME. My only beef is that the service is slow (they seemed under-staffed) and the place is dark, dingy and LOUD. Turn down the music, people! Otherwise, a totally awesome place.

Pros: Food

Cons: Parking, Ambiance, Loud

Almost as good as my mother in law's cooking! - Edit

I have been searching for authentic Mexican food everywhere I go, ever since we moved away from my husbands parents. This place has at least one dish that actually comes close. The soy chicken tinga is amazing! I was really excited that they offer fake meats, which is even harder to find than good mexican food. I would highly recommend this place to any vegan or vegetarian. Most dishes can be made vegan and even have vegan cheese!

Pros: price, quality, atmosphere

Great Mexican Food - Edit

I went here this weekend with 3 other vegan friends. This place came highly recommended and I can see why. First off, it has a fun, cozy atmosphere. The place was packed, and it took about 20 minutes before a table opened up for us. Next, *everything* on the menu can be made vegan. They have Daiya vegan cheese and vegan "beef" and "chicken", which both have great texture and flavor. We got vegan chimichangas (both beef and chicken), as well as a wet burrito. Everything was excellent, the server was great, and the price was more than reasonable for the generous portions we got.

Will happily eat here again.

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Chupacabra - Greenwood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2182 times since Dec 2010.