El Burro

412-904-3451

1108 Federal St, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, 15201

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small diner-like restaurant with rotating specials and a couple of menu items that could be made vegan, plus a few sides are vegan. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by jessgrif

Great Mexican Vegan - Edit

We had lunch here while visiting Pittsburgh. I had the Flying Saucer (salad on top of a deep far fried flour tortilla, refries and rice) my wife went with a potato taco and a cauliflower and sweet potato taco. She is not a fan of heat, so was happy the tacos were not overly hot. My Sauce was excellent. I recommend this place to any vegan.

Pros: ample vegan options, Very tasty food, unique options

Cons: not a lot of seats, maybe 15

This Place Is Nice. - Edit

NOTE: I'm writing this review almost a year late (sorry!). My family and I went here on Fathers' Day when there were only a few other customers. The special of the day was two vegan tacos for $5, so I ordered the Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Tacos. I also ordered some rice and beans because if I am anything, I am a pushover for beans. The tacos came garnished with cilantro and lime wedges and were very good. I can't remember what my family ordered, but I remember that they liked it.

Pros: Didn't feel rushed , Nice bathrooms , Inexpensive

Cons: Small eating area

Vegan-friendly Tacos in Pittsburgh - Edit

We spent the weekend in Pittsburgh, and my daughters repeatedly expressed a desire for "Mexican" food. So, our final meal before leaving town -- thanks to the direction of the Happy Cow app -- was at El Burro.

There was limited seating in restaurant -- just bar stools on either side of the room -- but that wasn't a problem for us as we were looking for a speedy meal. My daughters shared a lentil chorizo burrito, and my wife and I each ordered 1 lentil chorizo taco, and 1 sweet potato & cauliflower taco, with several sides of habanero hot sauce. My wife and I probably could have shared a side of the retried beans, but we're trying to eat light.

The burrito was HUGE with rice, lentils, pico, lettuce, and guacamole (some of which we added on). I took a bite of the burrito and it was pretty good. The tacos came topped with diced onion, cilantro, and a dash of tomatillo salsa; they were light, fresh, and just what we were looking for.

Overall, I would certainly recommend El Burro. It is welcoming of vegans -- with separate vegetarian and vegan menus -- and the food is healthy and fresh. I would certainly consider returning to El Burro next time we are in town.

Pros: vegan friendly with a separate vegan menu, healthy and fresh food

Cons: serves meat

Vegan Chorizo Burrito - Edit

Nice place, friendly staff, good burrito! The salsa isn't terribly hot so don't be afraid going to "Hot" if you like it spicy. The chorizo itself was also quite good with a great thorough flavor. I will definitely be going back and trying their other things. They have a dedicated Vegetarian menu and a dedicated Vegan menu, so there's no confusion. Prices are comparable to similar burrito chains, though the portion did seem comparably smaller (but not by much). Overall, 4/5 considering it's Pittsburgh and hard to find a dedicated vegan menu in most places!

Pros: Vegan menu, Flavor, Location

Cons: Offers meat, Could be slightly less expensive, Closed on Sundays

absolutely delicious! - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised with this place.

First - note that it's not a dine in restaurant (though they do have some stools)

When you walk in it's not really apparent how vegan friendly it is. One special taped to the large menu said "sweet potato & cauliflower tacos - vegan!"

So I walked up to the cashier and said "I'm looking for something vegan, looks like that's the sweet potato cauliflower?"

She said "actually we have a ton of vegan stuff" and then proceeded to name off things, like that the vegetarian beans were vegan, soy chorizo could be subbed in, etc. She was very helpful!

I ended up getting a sweet potato & cauliflower taco in a soft shell, a soy chorizo taco (w/ no cheese) in a hard shell, and a side of beans. The beans were really incredible

I'm glad I found this place via Happy Cow!!

P.S. This neighborhood is in the beginnings of restoration - so it doesn't look to exciting but this restaurant is a great start

Pros: authentic, helpful staff

Cons: only stools by the window for seating

Return to Pittsburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Burro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.