First Review by egoulet

listing is not accurate - Edit

We got a cab from our hotel and the listing said it was open - we arrived after a 30 minute cab ride to find out that was not the case at all. Please update your information!!!

Absolutely Spectacular - Edit

This food here is spectacular! And not just for vegan food - all food in general. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but my wife is vegan. This is our favorite restaurant in all of Costa Rica (been here 8 months). Thankfully, we live within walking distance! :-)

Like another reviewer, I've only ever eaten the plate of the day because it's always different, always really great, and always throws me for a loop with the creativity. I've had bites and nibbles from some of the other dishes and they're similarly great. If all vegan food was this good, everyone would be vegan!

Portion size is excellent. We always leave very full and very happy. The price is great for the value. For the portion size and quality of food, it's the best deal in San Pedro. Probably San Jose, too, but I haven't been everywhere.

It's a little out of the way for most people, but totally worth the trip. It's near the University of Costa Rica just off "the calle" filled with college restaurants, bars, and shops. And is right next a yoga place. It's a bit small and the tables are cramped, but unless you go during the lunch rush, you'll be fine.

If you're in San Jose or San Pedro and are looking for a place to eat, this is definitely worth going out of the way for.

Pros: excellent food, good value, large portions

Cons: out of the way, a bit cramped, small, overworked staff

Work of art! - Edit

I have been to the Buho many times. I haven't eaten from the menu because the special of the day is always so great! Someone really knows how to cook vegetarian, very creatively. You have to try this unique place!

Pros: very clean, very friendly staff, great food

The Most Incredible Veggie Restaurant on Earth - Edit

I cannot remember the last time I was this blown away by a restaurant. The inside was painted with lime greens, blues, and oranges, with artistic murals painted on all the walls. It was kind of hippie-esque, or bohemian perhaps. The waiter, Yan, thankfully spoke English. The food choices on the menus were astounding. Of our group of 10, 5 were vegetarian. Everyone, including the non-veggies, was equally impressed by the six or so menu pages of dishes, from sandwiches to burritos to salads to naan pizzas. We all got flavored water, and this wasn't your typical Safeway carbonated-fizzy fruit water. The one I got was blackberry, and it was basically blackberry pulp with water. Delicious. Some others got hibiscus water, which was even better. It tasted like fruity ginger green tea. When the food came out we couldn't stop raving about how unbelievably happy we were. I got a "burrito japonese" which was a salad with tofu, miso, sesame seeds, ginger, bell peppers, and a handful of other ingredients that I can't remember right now in a whole wheat wrap. I tried others' naan pizzas, which were crispy and delicious, and a sandwich on whole wheat bread. I honestly can't even remember what was in it because all the wonderful flavors started blending together at this point. For dessert they had chocolate chip cookies that were incredible despite the fact that they had healthy stuff in them. All together I spent less than $10, which is pretty expensive for a Costa Rica meal. I'm extremely disappointed that there isn't a place this wonderful anywhere else, and we plan on returning specifically to go to this restaurant.

Pros: amazing food, super healthy, cheap!

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Buho Vegetariano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3794 times since Feb 2011.