El Buda Profano

Contact 977228590

Calle Bolivar 425, Arequipa, Peru,

Vegan sushi bar and jazz club, opened Dec 2015 in the historic centre. Updated menu December 2016 to celebrate one year in business. Details can be found on website. Open Mon-Sun 1:00pm-9:00pm. 365 days a year.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Fusion

First Review by ZE

Delicious Sushi, Rice Shortage - Edit

The sushi was super delicious. We arrived at 7pm and wanted to order a few rounds of sushi to share with 4 people. We had to wait quite a bit, which was ok because the place was full and everything was freshly made. But after we got served our second round at 8/8:30 pm we wanted to order more and the waiter told us they were out of rice and we couldn't order more food. That bothered us, of course, because we loved the food and had to go to another place, because we were all still hungry. I hope this was an exceptional case..

Pros: delicious food , fresly made

Cons: Still hungry, waiting time

Amazing sushi place - Edit

All vegan and all delicious with a lot of options and menus and combos. Best sushi I have ever had. My boyfriend who isn't really into sushi because he doesn't like food that tastes like sea, loved it as well and ordered a second plate.

Pros: Authentic and delicious sushi, Loads of choice, All vegan

Cons: On the pricey side (but fine for the quality!)

Tasty vegan sushi exist... and it's here!!! - Edit

I was quite skeptical and curious about trying vegan sushi. I thought that I will be disappointed and I will miss the real taste of sushi... but I was definitely wrong!! The vegan sushi was delicious and I'm not talking with a vegan bias... even my non-vegan friends agree with me. Thank you for convincing myself that I can enjoy cruelty free sushi :)

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-13

Pros: Tasty, Friendly staff

Cons: Price a little bit high, Slow service (but the quality worth it)

fantastic - Edit

This cozy little cavelike room is very special. Large menu, tiny kitchen, and the place had a perpetually delicious aroma. (So rare a vegan and inhale and exhale deeply in a sushi restaurant.) I was lucky to get a table as there are only 4 or 5 , and many customers were turned away. Good wine selection, and much to choose from. I had the Oriental ceviche, gyoza with 2 delicious original dipping sauces, a tempura squash roll, and avocado/beet/spinach roll, and a tempura apple for dessert. Portions were perfect (I even took a little to go) and flavors were fresh and original. I enjoyed watching the chef work as he clearly takes a lot of care in his work. I have no idea what this place is doing in Arequipa, but it is certainly worth a visit.

Pros: delicious, meticulously prepared food, friendly staff, fresh ingredients

Cons: few tables, arrive early, brightly lit, as it shares space with kitchen

best sushi - Edit

Was intrigued by the great reviews and had to try. Outcome: highly recommendable! Small cozy place, food tastes amazing and a creative menu.

Definitely a must try and it's also open on Sunday nights when most veggie places are closed ;-)

Only remark is that the price category '$' is a bit misleading, as you would need to spend 20+ soles for a filling meal. For the quality of food itself it's a great deal, however for Peruvian providing '$$' would be more appropriate here.

Pros: creative sushi, very tasty, open on Sundays (evenings too)

Cons: rather a '$$' place

Excellent! - Edit

Amazing to find an all vegan sushi place. The California uramaki and gyoza's were delicious. The venue and atmosphere are great as well. Highly recommend.

Pros: Excellent sushi, All vegan , Reasonably priced

Ridiculously Good - Edit

We were only in Arequipa for 4 days, but ate at the restaurant 7 time in total. We literally went back for every meal possible because it really was all just too delicious to be true...

The Selva, California rolls & Goki were particular favourites of ours, although we did manage to try every dish on the menu & I can vouch for every single one being spectacular in it's own right.

The atmosphere is serene and perfectly inkeeping with the Menu. The dishes are served at a steady pace, and interspersed with free green tea and miso soup. The owner of the restaurant waits on the tables, is extremely kind and clearly loves this little slice of Japan which he has managed to conjure up on a random street in Peru.

Did I mention, everything is stupidly cheap for the gourmet experience which you recieve at El Buda. Get the 30 piece combo for only 36 soles. Beyond worth it.

Pros: Best sushi of your life, Free miso soup & green tea, Michelin star taste for cheap

First 100% vegan restaurant in Arequipa! - Edit

I have never liked sushi, but since I tried in El Buda Profano, I love it now!

Check my review if you want more details! ;)

Pros: 100% vegan, Quality of food and price, Service

amazing food - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here twice during our two day stay in Arequipa. Everything is amazing. There are combinations to get a variety of options and you can't go wrong. The prices for the amount of food and quality is great. We paid about 40 soles for an appetizer and about 30 roles. This also included tea and miso soup. The owner is friendly and speaks English.

Pros: great food, lots of options, creative

Cons: small (luckily we didn't have to wait)

Fantastic! - Edit

Incredible food! Having been in Peru for 5 weeks this place was a treasure to find, the best food in all our time here. The service is quick and the atmosphere is lovely. Staff very friendly and welcoming, and a clean environment too! We will be going back many times, highly recommended, especially if you're vegan or veggie. Juices and teas are delicious also!

Pros: 100% vegan, fresh and high quality food. Great val

Cons: None!

So Delish! - Edit

Was greeted by the owner who told us it is a fully vegan restaurant. lots of different options - tempurah, dumplings, lots of sushi choices. Really good value - you can order so many things and its so cheap. Juices and teas are really good too. I went back here 3 times during my trip!

Pros: All vegan options , Really good value for money, Cosy atmosphere

Good simple vegan sushi - Edit

Entirely vegan sushi place right near the canal in Arequipa. my husband and I had the chef's choice for two which came with green tea, miso, tomato nirigi, spicy mango maki, California roll and another roll with mango, shitake and avocado. Everything was good if simple and only 29 soles. If you're looking for vegan food in Arequipa I would definitely suggest it as it is the only fully vegan place. It was a nice change from the typically Peruvian dishes/pizza we've been having. menu also had gyoza and tempura.

Pros: all vegan , many options , cheap

Amazing - Edit

My husband and I recently visited Arequipa and loved this new restaurant. It's still working out opening kinks but the food is really creative and delicious - the gyoza are especially great - and the prices very reasonable. Highly recommend!

Pros: Delicious food, Great location near Plaza de Armas

Cons: Ran out of rice one night, Pricier than other options in Arequipa.

Return to Arequipa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Buda Profano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.