El Barrio Mexican Grill

( 1 review )

1782 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester, Massachusetts, USA, 02124

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican and Caribbean cuisines. Vegan options include chimichanga and mofongos as well as standard options such as fajitas and burritos. Staff know about veganism and can make accommodations. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Mexican, Caribbean, Fusion, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by sullivusb

Awesome vegan Mexican food! - Edit

I'm thrilled to find this great Mexican place with vegan options near my house! I've been here every few weeks for the last couple of years.

The menu does not note what items can be made vegan it simply says to ask the staff so I'll list a few of our favorites. The staff are generally knowledgeable about veganism (most waitstaff are and the cooks definitely are) and can make many of the options listed on the menu vegan.

As an appetizer, the Nachos (vegan) is a great choice - they load them up with roasted vegetables making them much more flavorful than ordinary nachos but note that they won't contain cheese. I haven't tried the Vegan Patacones, but friends who tried them said they were excellent and they look fabulous - I've never seen plantains served that way. You can also go with chips and guacamole. And note that they automatically give you chips and salsa when are there.

For an entrée you can't go wrong with a vegan Chimichanga that seems to be everyone's favorite option and I've been there with a group of five vegans and all of us have ordered us. You can also get vegan mofongos, fajitas, tacos, or burritos.

All of the options for side dishes (salad, veggies, rice, black beans, pinto beans, fried plantains, sweet plantains, and fries) are automatically vegan and all are very good.

This is mostly a takeout restaurant but they do have seating and offer table service. Please be aware that the table service will be a bit slower than many restaurants. Staff are all incredibly nice.

This is a short walk from either the Ashmont or Shawmut T station but we've also never had a problem finding parking either directly on Dot Ave or one of the nearby side streets.

Pros: Food is amazing!, Reasonable Prices, Friendly staff, usually knowledgeable about vegans

Cons: table service can be a bit slow sometimes, vegan options not noted on menu

Return to Dorchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has El Barrio Mexican Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.