Edo's Squid

Contact 804-864- 5488

411 N Harrison St, Richmond, Virginia, USA, 23220

Serves meat, vegan options available. Will accommodate vegans upon request. Pasta and bread are vegan. Cozy, old world ambience. Expect a wait on weekends nights if without a reservation.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by beyonde_1

A Mixed Bag... - Edit

I have a love-hate relationship with Edo's. I've been there quite a few times despite having to deal with the many unpleasantries that go along with dining there. I guess I've learned to accept them - if you anticipate those problems in advance they are easier to deal with.

The noise level is often an issue. Last time I was there with a party of 8 and we were literally yelling to one another across the table. It's not that they crank the music, it's just the bustle of the people and the kitchen. An ambient racket.

I do like the food and it's the main reason I keep going back. They are very veg-friendly and their staff is knowledgeable about the "V" word: offering you suggestions on vegan-friendly options and steering you away from the stuff you don't want.

They have great pastas and soups and they can do amazing things with vegetables, making them more than just "sides." I'm a big fan of their broccolini and also their rainbow chard. They offer seasonal food and drink specials that are always surprising and tempting.

There is a major downside in bringing a large group to Edos. Some of the elderly folks in our group were so confused about Edo's "family style" dining that they grew agitated. With large groups they make it mandatory that entrees come in sharable sizes. So I cannot order a plate of pasta for myself. I have to order a BOWL of pasta and share with my neighbors. As a vegan dining with non-vegans this can potentially be an issue. Secondly, they will not split your checks. Everyone knows this is something waitresses commonly do probably because it is a courtesy to the customer, but also because many people don't carry cash anymore. This is a major inconvenience.

And a final note, use caution if you show up 20 minutes before closing or if you don't have a reservation. They will seat you, but not until after they've given you a look of contempt. You will not get a warm and fuzzy feeling walking through the door however, the waitresses are especially nice.

Pros: Food, Wine, Interesting specials

Cons: Noise, Non-accommodating policies (LG groups)

Meh. - Edit

They really don't have many vegan options. Of course bread and pasta are vegan. Why would I go to Edo Squid to have pasta and tomato sauce? I can make that at home. You'll survive, if a non-vegan friends drag you there, but I suggest go there for a nice dining experience if you're vegan. You're not who they feed.

EDO'S IS UNIQUE and WOndErFuL! - Edit

If you're looking for a quiet romantic night out with your honey, this aint it. If you want some socko Italian food and love Garlic, go nowhere else. Scungilli! YES! Edo's is not cheap but it's not as much as some other places. Crowded, yeah, service? great to lousy. That's not why you're here. The ONLY thing I don't like is if you have a large party you can't necessarily order exactly what you want. It's like family style. You order a few large orders and share. Some people like it. Not me. But I go with my wife or family every chance I get.

Cons: service, loud/crowded, not-A-problem

Caution! - Edit

I am writing this review to caution everyone who values a pleasant restaurant atmosphere while dining out.
I had heard a few good things about Edo's Squid, so I decided to give it a try with my wife. Unfortunately, I wish I didn't- the noise was absolutely deafening and it was impossible to hold a conversation with someone less than two feet away. The restaurant is cramped for space (that's an understatement), and you literally sit elbow to elbow with others, unless you are fortunate enough to get your own table. There is no waiting area- you have to stand in the doorway with everyone else, just inches away from people who are trying to have their dinner. The menu is limited and very expensive, and no one even bothered to explain it (probably because they wouldn't be heard with a bullhorn). The food, in my opinion, wasn't as great as people are making it out to be- it was ok, but definitely not great. The bread was stale [edited by wm]. If you order a soda, you are given a tiny 10 ounce bottle, but you are charged several dollars for it.
The service was just "ok"- no one bothered to follow up after we received our food to ask if everything was alright.

Granted, I visited the restaurant on a Saturday night, which is probably their busiest night, but still, the atmosphere is much less than desirable.

Just thought I would caution anyone who values a pleasant restaurant atmosphere.

Pros: none

Cons: deafening noise, expensive, cramped

Unprofessional - Edit

I made a reservation for 8pm. Had another reservation for a show at 10pm. All of this for my girlfriend's birthday who was coming from out of town. When we arrived, the place was packed (WHICH IS WHY I MADE THE RESERVATION!!!) We weren't seated until an hour later. The hostess was rude and indifferent to our wait (in her defense she was obviously stressed). We missed the 10pm show and I had to eat the cost of the tickets. When I spoke with the "manager/bartender", and demanded some compensation, he simply said sorry there was nothing he could do other than get us some drinks next time. If your'e not going to honor your reservations, then simply don't take them. Don't ruin peoples evenings!!!!!!!!!!!

Pros: None

Cons: Rude service, Reservations are a joke

Service & Food Great, Could do without the smoking - Edit

I just went to Edo's Squid for the first time last Sunday. I read reviews of Edo's Squid and on numerous sights everyone agreed the food was great, but the service was aweful. Well, knowing that, we set our expectations low on the service in order to not spoil the evening, but was happily surprised at getting great service as well as great food. The only issue that we had was the smoking. The restaurant is small and you sit close to your neighbors, so if someone is smoking - everyone is smoking. I hope they consider making the restaurant smoke-free.

Pros: excellent food, fun atmosphere, interesting menu items

Cons: smoking, tables very close together

3 Times a Charm - Edit

I have been to Edo's Squid three times. The first time was on a Saturday night with a large group... we had a reservation, but ended up waiting 45 minutes in the very cramped lobby area, wedged between the bar and nearby tables. The waitress was extremely rude and dismissive... but the food was so good, that I decided to give it another try. The second time I went I was with my fiance and we went early on a Friday night. Sadly, we had the same waitress... thankfully; we had the same quality food. The peppers and mozzarella appetizer was awesome and my shrimp diavolo pasta was perfect. The third time I went with a group of three on a Sunday evening. With a reservation, we had to wait for 10 minutes, but the hostess was friendly and even asked us which table we preferred. I was thrilled to have a new waiter approach our table. He was helpful and friendly... and he made some great recommendations of food and wine. I was very pleased with my third experience at Edo's Squid... largely due to the change in servers. With such a charming atmosphere and unique menu, Edo's Squid has the potential to one of my favorite spots in Richmond. However, good food will only take a restaurant so far... the overall service needs to be improved at Edo's Squid.

Pros: great food, charming

Cons: poor service

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Edo's Squid closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6519 times since Aug 2007.