Eden - A Vegan Cafe

570-969-1606

344 Adams Ave, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA, 18503

Vegan food cafe operating since 2008. Offers soups, salads, sandwiches, and smoothies in a relaxed environment. Open Tue-Wed 11:30am-6:00pm, Thu-Sat 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out

First Review by Lenore

All time favorite! - Edit

I travel 40 minutes to eat here at least once every week! My non-veg boyfriend loves this place, too. He even asks me to come here often! Everything on the menu is vegan, which makes it so that I don't have to pick and worry about my order getting messed up with animal products. I've liked everything I have had here. Although, I wish the buffalo drumsticks tofu was a little more firm. That is my only complaint, although they are still extremely tasty. Wish they had a location in WB also!

Pros: Everything is amazing!, Friendly and helpful staff.

vegan comfort food - Edit

Eden is a pretty great place to find in NEPA. There are very few vegan options in the area. I would describe Eden's selection as vegan comfort food. Definitely not the healthiest, but tastes good! Any vegan place is awesome in my eyes!

Great food!!! - Edit

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Had a burger and it was delicious. The soup was even better!!

The photos on happy cow do not do this restaurant justice!!

Please, though, Eden, stop using plastic to serve the desserts. It kind of goes against being green. That is my only constructive criticism.

Pros: Food quality

Cons: Uses plastic to serve the desserts, not very "gree

good vegan sandwiches - Edit

It was nice to find a vegan restaurant in Scranton. I had the pulled pork sandwich with smashed potatoes for $10. The serving was generous. It was a bit too sweet for me.

My husband had the Reuben. He has now had dozens of Reubens at various restaurants and rated this one average. The coleslaw that came with it was also a little too sweet.

You place your order at the counter. The woman who took our order was very friendly and the service was fast.

Pros: friendly, fast

Good but really wanted it to be great - Edit

I had really high hopes and went with my boyfriend (meat eater) I wanted him to really like it too so that we could keep coming back but I think they kinda were having an off day with the cook or something because the 1st order we made took a really long time but the pizza we got for a togo was done by the time we ate what we ordered for there. There was only us two and 3 other people at another table... Speaking of the tables all of the tables were not cleaned they were all sticky and one table had a tip on it, The women went and got her tip but never really raged the table down (She could have done both). I got some hot wing thing that im not sure what it really was but it was good other than being super hot but still good I also got a soup kale and potato it was great but my boyfriend got a burger with chili on it, the burger wasn't that great but the chili on it was good and we got one slice of cheese cake that was really good and the pizza togo and that was soso over all I don't think ill really drive all the way to Scranton for it again it was also really hard to find parking we had to go down the road some to get a spot. The price was med/high for the quality of our food.

Pros: Great soup, Great cheesecake

Cons: Semi slow for food to be ready, Prices a little high

Eat here today - Edit

I've been coming here for years and have yet to find something on the menu that isn't good. Get up off your ass and eat here!

Pros: Food that rocks your taste buds!

Cons: Too full to move

Vegan in Scranton - Edit

I'm excited to have a purely vegan restaurant in my hometown. I walked inside, and they were busy with happy customers. It's a small place, but it sure is a cute spot. I was very skeptical of the menu because most of the food is composed of mock-meat and vegan cheeses/mayo. I don't like the idea of eating vegan foods that are trying to be passed off as non-vegan, even though Eden must thrive off of business because there is both veg and non-veg appeal. So I tried the BLT and it tasted so legitimately like a traditional BLT. It was tasty, and I even tried some of the Old-Forge style pizza that was also pretty legit. I suppose I would go back to try something else and support the local vegan business, but to be honest, most of the menu (i.e. the fake meat/cheese items) do not appeal to me personally. However, I really have to give the folks props for doing so well being cruelty-free in Scranton!

Pros: cute little nook in Scranton, PA, everything is 100% vegan, the food is alright

Cons: mostly faux meat/cheese, deceiving veg meat (i.e. "turkey club"

Super food - even for non-vegetarians - Edit

The food was absolutely awesome! I am from Atlanta and went to Eden from Happy Cow. I took a non-veg friend. Both of us loved the food and we had different dishes. Everything was great. I wish they had one in Atlanta.

Pros: Excellent food, Service reasonably fast, Prices decent

Awesome - Edit

Can't believe such a gem of a restaurant exists in Scranotn. Hope one day to see expanded hours. Maybe a brunch?
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 26, 2009

Word is that they a closing. Very sad.

Pleased with this place - Edit

Food: 8. I felt like the food was a tad pricey for what it was (meaning, I can make a lot of it at home, such as wraps with Tofurky slices or mashed potatoes for a cheaper price). I also felt like it was small portions, with the exception of the large rice bowl a friend I was with got because that seemed pretty big. I got a special, which was a Thanksgiving wrap (Tofurky slices, cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, and spinach). It was really tasty. I also got mashed potatoes as the side, and that was really good. I had a pumpkin smoothie as my drink, which was also tasty but small. My three friends I was with got the aforementioned rice bowl and wraps, and they all said their food was sort of on the bland side. I was pleased overall with mine, though. I thought everything on the menu sounded pretty good, and I really wish I had a place like this near where I live. Oh, and I liked that there was a mix of mock meats and comfort foods with healthier foods.

Price: 7. See above for details on this.

Atmosphere: 8. It's cute and cozy, but all the tables were small in an overall small place.

Staff: 9. The woman at the counter was very friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that the food took a while to prepare, but I guess that's a good thing in the sense that places like that take more care with the food.

Pros: All vegan, Great variety on menu, Tasty

Cons: A bit pricey, Street parking, A bit on the small side

Great Food, Clean place, close to I-81 - Edit

Ignore the bad reviews, this place is busy (which tells you it’s good), delicious and large variety of food choices, clean dining area and bathroom (which usually tells you a lot about a restaurant), and has a nice ambiance that you will not find anywhere else in the general Scranton area. If you are commuting up I-81 it is very easy to get off the highway and stop in to Eden for a bite to eat.

Pros: Large variety of Food Choices, Delicious food, A clean Vegan Resturant

Cons: Can be busy at times, Wish they were open Sundays

Good pizza - Edit

I a very diverse menu with lots of choices. The personal pizza had a really good crust and a nice tomato sauce with just a little kick to make it interesting. I was surprised how busy they where, but after eating I completely understood.

Pros: Great food, Fast service, Variety

Cons: Small and little crowded

You Have Got to be Kidding! - Edit

I am baffled at some of the reviews for Eden. Especially the "5-star" review which could only have been written by someone associated with the business.
The food is low quality...an example - meatball sub...mush! I can get better products from Wegmans and make my own at home. My guest had a salad...which was delivered to our table with a bug in it. Unsanitary...!
If you are looking for truly good Vegan food, this is NOT the place.
Use the money you would have spent on a meal there for gas, and travel out of town and get a real Vegan meal...

Great Stop on I-81 - Edit

On our recent family trip between Kingston and Philadelphia, we stopped in here for supper. Boy am I ever glad we did. My wife and daughter are both gluten-free, and Eden was very accommodating. The staff recommended their favorites for our particular diets and were very knowledgable about their menu. While moderately busy, the service was excellent and the food divine. Highly recommended. We drive to NYC regularly, and this restaurant makes me want to take the I-81 route!

Pros: Great food, Friendly Staff, Gluten Free options

vegan oasis off interstate 81 - Edit

the staff has always been friendly and helpful. the menu is heavy on the vegan meats, but if you can get down with that, it's tasty. plus, my mom loves this place.

Pros: the staff, the food, large selection

Consistently underwhelmed - Edit

I've visited Eden a few times. I have been vegan for more than ten years and have visited veggie joints in a lot of small and larger cities: Phoenix, Tucson, Norfolk, Philly, NYC, LA ... And this is my least favorite.
Hugely disappointing to me, since I am fairly local. Nothing on Eden's menu cannot be made at home. All pre-made faux meat sandwiches and the like. I've tried a handful of options and they're all OK.
(I don't know what the grilled cheese is, btw, nutritional yeast?)
Whereas at Candle Cafe you can get a host of hot, awesome entrees that I could never replicate, like breaded seitan parm ... Or Green with their homemade hot wings?
I can make a vegan turkey sanwich at home.
And it ... Bringing me to my main point ... Won't cost NINE DOLLARS.
The pizza is tasteless.
The grilled chicken is good. The salads are good (if not very pricey) ...
Even their buffalo "chicken". Yeah. Food Swings has the exact chicken but they serve it better.
At Eden, no celery, no ranch sauce. Just drumsticks on a plate.
No imagination.
And very expensive.

Pros: Local, Vegan

Cons: Expensive, Not inventive

Love this place - Edit

I love Eden. Their food is absolutely delicious. My mother, who is not even a vegetarian, even loves this place. They have a wide selection of foods(and I mean very wide,) and they are completely, 100% vegan. I haven't tried anything from Eden that I didn't like, to be honest. They have tuna, steak and cheese, smashed potatoes, desserts such as cheesecake and cookies, GREAT coffee, and so much more. The prices aren't that bad, either, and are definitely worth it considering the high quality of the food. I am definitely looking forward to my next visit to Eden.

I also love the design of the restaurant; it is very earthy and beautiful. If you are a veg*n, then you will love this place :).

Pros: price, taste, friendly staff

Vegan American Junk Food!! - Edit

Sometimes I think I may've moved to Scranton just to be closer to Eden. It is scrumptiously addictive. The drumsticks are marvelous creations and it's hard to pick a favorite...the buffalo or bbq style??? The chili cheeseburger is a comfort food I missed from pre-veg days. Eden also has a lovely selection of vegan cookies (love the espresso chocolate chip and double chocolate) and jerky and homemade desserts. Oh! Can't forget the chili. Homemade and so easy to take home for a lunchtime meal. I took my brother when he was in town and he wanted to go back multiple times a day. The staff is the best. They always remember me and welcome me back. Can't say enough paws-itive things about Eden. Just wish they were 24/7. (If you go, check hours first. Their longest hours tend to be on Wed, Fri, & Sat. Closed Sun. Boooooo!) Also, don't miss the Fanciful Fox next door for fabulous cruelty-free toiletries. The 2 go paw-in-paw. So happy to have these 2 wonderful merchants in my little town of Scranton, PA! meows & purrs

Pros: Yummy comfort food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Limited hours

Return to Scranton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Eden - A Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.