Kartauserwall 7 (at next to Chlodwigplatz subway station), Cologne, Germany, 50678

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe and restaurant that offers regional and Mediterranean food and fair trade coffee. Has vegan breakfast, a vegan menu with around 4 dishes plus a vegan buffet once a month featuring a faux meat like seitan-schnitzel or tofu-steak. Vegan options at weekend brunch (10am-3pm) with reservation required. Nice atmosphere, free Wi-Fi. Mon-Sat 9:00am-12:00pm, Sun 10:00am-12:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Buffet, Mediterranean, German, Non-veg

First Review by Winfried57

love the brunch - Edit

This place is perfect if you want to have brunch with non-vegan or vegetarian friends. There is one vegan side of the brunch buffet and one for omnivores. And it's very delicious!

Totally awesome vegan brunch! - Edit

We went there on a saturday, I reserved a week in advance because I thought that the restaurant was ging to be full on the weekend (which it was). So I highly recommand to reserve in advance.
The brunch was totally awesome, half of the dishes were vegan, and everything is marked "vegan, gluten free, nut free, dairy free". We were blown away by the diversity of all the dishes (selfmade bread, yeast pastries, cakes, spelt-chili, risotto, hashbrowns, potato wedges, salads (potato-, chickpea-, bean-, couscous-, vegetable-,past-, green etc.), rice pudding, joghurts, fruit and many more!

something for everyone - Edit

Although I love going to all-vegan restaurants, what I like about Ecco is that they have both a vegan menu and a "regular" menu including items with meat. So if you are traveling / dining out with omni friends who insist on eating meat, it's got something for everyone. It's in a very hip neighborhood and often quite full, so especially if you go on a weekend night, better to make a reservation ahead.

Lots of tasty vegan options at the buffet - Edit

Good service who immediately showed me which options at the buffet were vegan. All you can eat buffet at very reasonable prices. Definitely not my last visit here.

Good Food but Service is Lacking - Edit

Been here quite a few times for brunch and dinner and I really like their vegan food. Even though you might think the staff should be experienced enough to handle busy times, it always seems they are cought by surprise. Unfortunately, waiting times can get rather annoying, and the more people pour in, the less friendly the staff gets.

Pros: Good vegan food, Cozy Place

Cons: Staff not able to handle busy times

Amazing brunch - Edit

I've had their brunch express several times (eat as much as you like in our hour - no reservation possible) and I think it's a great deal. The choice is huge and none of my friends have ever been disappointed.

Most things are vegan or vegetarian and the few meat dishes are clearly labelled. Brunch includes things like Indian curry, cakes, waffles, cheeses, crèmes, all sorts of bread...

Nice location in the southern area of the city. Tables ouside, too.

Pros: Huge choice, Express brunch, Location

Not very tasty - Edit

I don´t know why everybody says that ECCO is so good! I´ve been there three times and I never liked it. I think for vegan food they don´t know how to use spices. For hamburgers you better go to Hans im Glück, the veagn burger is perfect! And for other tasty food e.g. to Past & Future.

Quite a variety! - Edit

ECCO is a meat serving place with a surprisingly big variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes (all easily recognisable through a mark). They all sound great. We had three different dishes and all of them were convincing, from the simple "currywurst" to the risotto with pumpkin oil, sun-dried tomatoes and rocket.
A bit pricey maybe, but still within range. The waitress was helpful all the way and much fun to talk to.

Pros: something for everyone, big outdoor area

Cons: meat dishes, located in busy area

Definitively unique - Edit

Of course, you've got to like the idea of offering meals for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eating people. I went there with a mixed group of all the mentioned "sorts" and I think that each of us had a fulfilling meal. Concerning the vegan stuff, they offer many different dishes and "even" cake which tasted excellent. Personally, I prefer to go to a purely vegan location. The staff was in a hurry and not too friendly, but maybe they had a bad day.

Lots of vegan options - Edit

They have LOTS of vegan options and everything I've tried was tasty. They even have a whole menu card with vegan Schnitzel! Only one of the desserts we tried (chocolate cake) wasn't really my thing, but my boyfriend liked it.
The brunch was ok but not great for vegans. But they offer a all vegan buffet every month (18,90€ per person) which I heard is fantastic.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 06, 2013

Updated from previous review on Thursday June 06, 2013

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Vegan buffet once a month

Cons: Sometimes crowded and noisy, Also serve meat

Positive surprise - Edit

Well - I wasn't full of hope when I entered "ecco" first time - but surprise, surprise: I found more vegetarian - even vegan food I expected. The vegan meals are signed on the menue with a special vegan button - so you can have vegan noodles as well as soups or even breakfast... or CAKE!

At least it is a nice place to be - mostly crowded and a little bit louder (mothers with children) - they all like eccos food - and drinks! - I will visit "ecco" again as soon as I visit Cologne....

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly stuff

Cons: sometimes crowded

Return to Cologne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ecco closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2246 times since Sep 2011.