First Review by dirtandskirts

Hummus Sandwich - Edit

There are a few options from their restaurant that are vegan. it is pricey but good. They prepare freshly made carrot juice that is excellent. My favorite is the hummus sandwich without mayo. There renovated store is nice.

Pros: Fresh Ingredients

Pricey and Underwhelming - Edit

Granted, there are not a lot of healthy vegan or vegetarian options in Amarillo, TX. However, EatRite is expensive and the food is blah. Grocery section is disorganized. Go to Market Street United a couple of blocks away for produce, soy/almond/coconut milk, tofu, tempeh, Vegenaise, etc. or Natural Grocers in the shopping center at Coulter & 34th. Skip this place.

Pros: vegan, vegetarian, healthy

Cons: expensive, food is tasteless

Pricey Much? - Edit

Eat-Rite has always disappointed me. It's ridiculously overpriced. The restaurant, especially, is pricey. I've eaten there once and I ordered an avocado sandwich for like 8 bucks and it was just guacamole on bread. Yes, the staff is always great, but for the majority of us who can't make spending decisions based solely on customer service, it doesn't cut it. I have been upset by Amarillo's lack of health-conscience-friendly shopping for some time and last summer, when I visited Pueblo, CO., I discovered Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage. They are so regularly priced, I kept looking for SOMETHING that would be wrong with the store. I've found NOTHING! This is why I wrote to the company and asked that one be built here and thank God, there's one in the shopping center on 34th and Coulter by Jason's Deli and TJ Maxx. Eat healthily without blowing your paycheck!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Knowledgable Staff

Cons: Prices, Prices, Selection

WAY overpriced and not worth it - Edit

friendly staff
okay grocery selection
poor over priced food.

only three vegan options: bland stir-fry, hummus sammie that doesn't even taste like hummus and a salad bar. there is a veggie burger but its not vegan.
we ordered the stir-fry and sammie - both were bland and not good and cost $20.33

I am from NYC and i rarely pay that much for a lunch and when I do its awesome!

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: overpriced, not good

helpful ... in context - Edit

My dad and I hit up Eat-Rite Health Promotion Center (crazy name; less crazy inside) on a road trip, passing through. My three goals there were peanut butter, soy yogurt, and decent vegan bread (made with spelt, which my dad prefers to wheat -- we're choosy!). Having worked and shopped in natural food stores before, I have what I think are reasonable (reasonably high?) expectations.

The PB we found with no problem (in the fridge; very conscientious of them!), the soy yogurt they don't carry (in their defense, they've apparently carried it before, but it barely sold, and kept going past date -- and they did have plenty of vegan cheeze), and the bread ... we found the brand we like (Rudi's), but not their spelt. (All their in-house bread had honey.) We did find one other spelt, which is yeast-free and bizarrely sourdoughy. And it's not as good, but ... it's passable. The apparent lack of selection was kind of a bummer, though.

I still think it's weird that my milk-free yogurt wasn't there (I did appreciate the helpful attitude of the staff, although water buffalo milk is NOT "dairy-free;" neither is goat milk, or sheep milk...), but maybe even health-conscious Texans don't care for it? The sundried-tomato and basil hummus from their deli helped, though.

Overall, it seems like they fit a fair bit into a somewhat small space. I found the layout totally confusing, and don't remember any signage within the food sections (they have a large supplements section, too), but had I been really stuck there was sufficient staff available for questions. Didn't get a chance to try their restaurant, so I can't offer any advice there.

They're not exactly what I was looking for, but they're by no means bad, and they're certainly better than anything else around from what I saw.

Pros: focused on healthy food/lifestyles/etc., pleasant staff (texas-friendly), only veg-friendly place in amarillo?

Cons: bizarrely organized, no soy yogurt :(, would have liked a bigger bulk "section"

Return to Amarillo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Eat-Rite Health Promotion Center closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2368 times since Aug 2007.