Eat at Jumbos

Contact 617-666-0000

688 Broadway, Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, 02144

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves 32 flavors of tofu tenders and also serves veggie burgers, seitan sandwiches, and daiya cheese for their pizzas, calzones, and sandwiches. Has Wi-Fi. Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Italian, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by dch

Jumbo's Served Vegans Full on CHICKEN! - Edit

Sooo, today I went to Jumbo's for the 3rd time since my wife and I had moved to Somerville from Boston...Every time there was some kind of problem: they charged us for a total of 5 sauces that had to be recompensed, put cheese in place of Daiya, twice, and packed it so it spilt on one occasion. And were late on delivery, every time.

This however, was the last time I or my wife will eat at Jumbo's - they served us, vegan people - CHICKEN! When I had explicitly reminded Grover, the owner we were - v-e-g-a-n It also came with with Daiya which was weird.

As soon as I came back to get a refund without hesitation, Grover proceeded to blame everything on his workers who seemed to be slaving away and for what wage, probably minimum.

I told him "not to blame it on his slaves." He proceeded to grovel and talk down to the latin american workers who are probably making him a shit ton of cash.

He gave me the refund. Hope to see that business replaced in the (near) future.

Pros: good food

Cons: bad service, treated workers like slaves

Eating like a non-vegan! - Edit

My husband and I love this place!!!! They have an entire vegan menu (which I think we've tried everything)! I love that I can get a sub, calzone, pizza, pasta dinner with my non-vegan friends. It's great that there is food for everyone! I really enjoy being able to get a "chicken" parm sub again...a favorite non-vegan choice of mine. The options are just amazing. If they were closer we'd be there very often. Prices are a bit high but sooo worth it! Recommend for vegan and non-vegans. Everyone should head over there!

Pros: Great food, Amazing vegan menu, Great staff

Cons: A bit expensive

My fav pizza EVER - Edit

I love getting many things from here. One is the seitan bomb and the other is one of the specialty pizzas. Do yourself a favor: get the "I hate meat" vegan pizza and add tofu rinnota. It's pure nirvana, probably the best pizza I've ever had.

Pros: Fantastic pizza!, Cheese fries!, Desserts!

Cons: Slightly pricey (but worth it)

Nice option if you're in the area - Edit

Since my posting in 2013, I have ordered here numerous times (as they deliver to my house). On a number of occasions a side dish was forgotten and once in 2014, I got cheese that looked & smelled suspiciously like cow cheese (it was not the usual white daiya) which I did not eat and tonight (Feb 10, 2014) I finally experienced what others have reported - I received BBQ chicken instead of tofu; yuck! When they get it right, it's good, but it's not worth the risk of delivery mistakes with animal products - downgrading to 2 stars.

While I have never eaten there in person, I've had their delivery food on several occasions at parties. As far as comfort food goes, their vegan options are quite nice - last I had a pizza (w/ daiya) and tofu tenders (I think it was April, 2012) which were tasty.

My friends have had multiple problems with getting non-vegan items by mistake (they serve primarily meat/dairy options), which might be acceptable in an omnivore world, but is very bad for vegans who seek to avoid animal use (not only ingestion). I've heard they've gotten better about that, but I have a somewhat irrational fear of "substitutes" being "real" (and me not knowing the difference), so that's kept me from patronizing them.

I'd suggest extra emphasis on "vegan" for every food item whenever ordering from there.

Here's their website, so you can see their options/prices (click Menu): http://www.eatatjumbos.com/
Updated from previous review on Monday June 24, 2013

Pros: many vegan options, delivery / takeout

Cons: delivery orders messed up, animal products by accident

Awesome vegan comfort food! - Edit

So many great vegan options-- pizza with dayia cheese, tofu tenders, seitan Italian sandwiches, french fries, and more. Best of all! FREE delivery!

Pros: Free Delivery, Vegan Comfort foods, Vegan Italian sandwiches

This place is AWESOME mostly because it has a ton of vegan options, but also because it DELIVERS. this is absolutely fantastic, great restaurant, delicious vegan pizza

Pros: vegan options, delivery

Cons: far away from my house

Great Vegan Options! - Edit

They deliver awesome vegan pizza and have a TON of vegan options. It's great to find a restaurant that not only has plenty of vegan choices but is also willing to deliver directly to the customer.

So many veg options! - Edit

Wow! Talk about veg options--we're talking GIANT vegan daiya pizzas, tofu tenders, and awesome + filling subs. My former favorite food was anything buffalo, so I was beyond excited to find some vegan buffalo tenders here! They are also very environmentally conscious and a certified green business, which I appreciate.

Did I mention that they deliver? That about seals the deal. The management are very veg-knowledgable and friendly, and they go out of their way to provide a ton of options for us. Please support this business when you're looking for some comfort food or delivery!

Pros: tons of options, delivery, great pizza

Return to Somerville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Eat at Jumbos closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1678 times since Feb 2011.