East West Cafe

Contact 707-546-6142

557 Summerfeild Rd, Santa Rosa, California, USA, 95405

Serves meat, vegan options available. Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner includes vegetarian-friendly options such as the Mediterranean platter, moussaka, tamari tofu, falafel wrap, vegan soup, and organic blue corn pancakes. Open interior with also deck seating.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by kindlizard

Put This Cafe At The Top Of Your List! - Edit

I jumped in my car with only 20 minutes til closing time, hoping all the way of my 5 minute drive, they would still give me a takeout order. Even though it took me 6 minutes to get there, I ran in and asked if I could still get an order To Go. The 2 very sweet girls at the counter looked at each other and then they both nodded at me, "Yes".. I could still place an order To Go. Thank goodness!
I ordered the Mediterranean Platter, a wonderful "Medley" of Hummus, Beet Salad, Baba Ganouj, 3 Falafel Patties, 3 Stuffed Grape Leaves, Tabbouleh and a generous serving of Pita Bread. I went back and forth on the Black Bean Chili and finally decided to add it to my order... and I'm sure glad I did because it was absolutely hands-down delicious! It had caught my eye on the menu because it said "Oil-Free" Chili.
I can tell you I am definitely coming back for the Chili and the Falafels... Well, the Hummus was really excellent and so was the Beet Salad, another winner! Okay, maybe I'd better just cover all my bases and say, "Everything... I mean EVERYTHING... was absolutely delicious! The Tahini was so creamy and light you are just floating on air when you eat it. I also love the special "Vegetarian" section on the menu and they can make your meal Vegan too with a few food omissions.
If you like Mediterranean Food, I think you'd better put this cafe at the top of your list, because I sure am. Every time we're in Santa Rosa, I'm going to make it a point to stop at the East West Cafe. Not only is the food good, but you should see the gorgeous desserts they have in their display case (See Photo).
The only thing I will do differently next visit is to dine-in! It feels so good in there, with extra high ceilings and intriguing wall hangings. I couldn't help noticing the several small interesting turquoise plaques grouped on the wall by the door, and similar groupings also on several other walls. I was told by one of the girls who took my order that each turquoise plaque was a different prayer. They are so interesting and individually beautiful in their own unique way, you will want to have a closer look at each wall grouping when you come in.
And the service here is so hospitable that these precious ladies offered me a glass of water while I waited for my Takeout order. She even thought about the fact that I was just coming from a movie, on our way to Santa Rosa from Novato, and confirmed with me that I would indeed need forks and spoons with napkins for my Takeout meal. I really like that kind of thoughtfulness. It makes you feel like they really care about you... AND what you'll need to have a pleasant experience while eating THEIR food... even if it's Takeout.
So, although I could not dine-in the cafe tonight, I am definitely coming back for the full-service experience next time... because I can already tell from their conscienious, genuine old-world hospitality, it's going to be a phenomenal meal in a spiritually significant environment served by kind, wonderfully present individuals. Thank you so much wonderful chefs and staff in restaurant service here... And special thanks to the owners of this spiritually-driven culinary cafe for creating this refined dining experience for your appreciative patrons!

One of Our Favorites in Santa Rosa - Edit

This is one of our favorites when we are in Santa Rosa. We have tried every vegetarian item on the menu, and have yet to be disappointed. We especially like the vegan chocolate cake for desert.

Pros: Atmosphere, Staff, Food

Great mediterranean - Edit

I always enjoy going to East West. It is a little out of my price range (which isn't saying much) but it has good food and great decor. They even have vegan cake sometimes!

Pros: vegan cake

Cons: cost

East West Cafe = Great Environment! - Edit

I love their food! My favorite dish is the Mediterranean Falafel platter. It comes with all the sides and pita bread. It is to die for! the Moussaka is amazing! Try their breakfast dishes and you will have leftovers for lunch.

Tasty - Edit

When you read the legend it's pretty easy to figure out that the symbol next to the menu item means vegan, vegi, or other things. But if necessary, just ask and they usually are happy to help.
On another note, I have been going there occasionally now for a couple years. It has always had pretty friendly servers so not to many complaints except when they changed the time that they stop serving breakfast on the weekends and still had the old time posted on the door(and they wouldn't make me and my little girls breakfast)! But you can't really blame the owners for a stubborn waiter.
When I ate eggs I did like their breakfasts, but now that I don't there isn't much on that part of the menu to eat so I just have them make me a breakfast burrito with their black beans, potatoes, rice, salsa and avocado(pretty good :P). The over all flavor I'm getting from different things on the menu is Indian, but mild. Not to overwhelming so the unexperienced at eating Indian food usually finds the food interesting but in a good way.
A lot of the items on the rest of the menu can have the cheese taken off or no meat or butter to make vegan. They are pretty accommodating if you just let them know if you are either vegan, vegetarian, no dairy, no ovo or what have you. You are going to pay a bit more than your average hole in the wall but I think it is worth going there once in a while knowing that the food is good and the service is nice.
If you want a good recommendation for a vegan item try the tostada dish, it's a salad on top of hummus, black beans, avocado(I'm forgetting something) and a side of citrus dressing (I leave off). They also make a mean double soy mocha.

Pros: vegan, vegi friendly, healthy and organic choices , great portion sizes

Cons: price is a tiny bit more than I prefer , I'd like to see more vegan meals

Great service - Edit

The best thing about this place was the service!!!! They had to find out what (few) vegan options there were. I likely wouldn't go back, it was like 2 things and I think it was a bland tofu dish. I think they try though so that's worth something. The servers were awesome though. Nice to say hi to a friendly face while on the road.

Pros: SERVICE

Cons: taste, vegan selection

Return to Santa Rosa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has East West Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2492 times since Aug 2007.