First Review by suzzzeq

Cooperatives Make a Difference! - Edit

ELFCO is the only community-owned grocery store in the greater Lansing area, and it's a cooperative meaning that it's not just out to make a buck. ELFCO places people, and the environment before profits.

The prices may be a little higher than you're used to seeing at a big box mart corporate chain store, but that's because the food offered at the co-op is of the highest quality.

Fresh, in-season, locally sourced, all-natural, organic, and humanely raised are all factors that go into the quality of the food items they offer.

You don't have to be an "owner/member" to shop there, and the staff are always incredibly helpful if you have any questions, or you're looking to special order something.

There's a saying: "vote with your dollars". What sort of world are you voting for where you spend your dollars? To me, shopping at a co-op for at least some of my food just makes really good sense.

Ok - Edit

I shopped here on occasion. Even though the prices were high I would buy things that were on sale. I would usually only buy things that were on sale because it was the only time I found the prices reasonable. On my first visit the cashier was snotty with me because I did not have a Co-op number. Since it was my first visit to a Co-op I didn't know what one really was. After that I was fine. The store is a bit small but they have all of the necessities.

Pros: Location, Parking, Good Sales

Cons: Prices

Return to East Lansing Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has East Lansing Food Cooperative closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.