Vegan-friendly
Taiwanese
Vietnamese
Gluten-free
Honey

A vegetarian restaurant serving modern Asian plant-focused cuisine. Chefs representing Japan, Hong Kong, China, Thailand, India and Sri Lanka take inspiration from the near and far East. The menu consists of bites, small plates and larger dishes all designed to share, some of which are vegan. The drinks menu features organic and vegan wines, bespoke cocktails and sustainable New Zealand craft beer. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Venue map for east
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by renatedesully

SuitableCoconut

Points +261

23 Feb 2024

Incredible

Had the Trust the Chef (all vegan!). It was incredible. Best meal out I’ve ever had.

LC70PZJ70

Points +561

09 Feb 2024

Great food and service

Food was tasty and service was good. More expensive than other restaurants, however the quality produce commands this.

SaraNorlin

Points +2869

18 Jan 2024

Lovely food

There was some confusion when I walked in. First they said they were full. Then they said I could sit at the bar. Then they tried to move me to some high top tables. Then they said I could stay at the bar. Then they said they'd prepare a table for me if I'd only stay one hour. Then they prepared the table but forgot to seat me. Then they tried to move me to the high top tables again. Then they sat me at the table.

The food was very very good though. Highly recommended. Maybe make a reservation though.

vannyy.o

Points +592

15 Jan 2024

Delicious Thai Food

Fancy restaurant, nice menu. I ordered the Pad Thai without egg, very tasty. The Massaman Curry with Tofu was also very delicious!

Claire1*

Points +96

15 Jan 2024

Fantastic

The food at East is delicious and 75% of the menu is vegan. The portions are very generous and perfect for sharing. I found the price to be very reasonable for the food we were served.
The restaurant ambiance is great and the staff friendly and knowledgable about the dishes.
I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant and hope to visit again during my visit to Auckland.

Pros: Variety of vegan dishes, Portion size, Ambiance

abipatterick

Points +1461

06 Jan 2024

Are there more stars I can give?

We came here on our first night in Auckland, which was New Year's Day. We struggled more than we had anticipated in finding somewhere to eat and were super relieved when I found East on Happy Cow and they said they would be open. Also super relieved that they didn't charge a public holiday surcharge (never seen this in a country before being in New Zealand / Australia)!

The food was amazing. Particularly rated the bao buns. The staff were helpful in recommending dishes that were new/ different and how many we should order. The food itself is amazing - I wish I could bring you home with me!

vegandinosaur

Points +315

26 Dec 2023

Amazing

Very good food. Reservation recommended, unless you got at off-peak hours by yourself.

oliviasbrooke

Points +107

20 Dec 2023

one of our faves

amazing vegetarian (and mostly vegan) restaurant

Pros: lots of small sharing dishes to try , everything tastes good

Cons: a bit expensive

JonathanBarnes

Points +67

07 Nov 2023

Best black pepper tofu I’ve ever had

Cool spot. Good ambience, well decorated and the food was incredible. I had the Caramelised black pepper tofu, kimchi and a the salted caramel tart. Staff were super friendly. A little higher end in terms of pricing, but worth it imo.

Pros: Quality, Environment, Staff

JessicaChambers

Points +120

07 Sep 2023

One of my Auckland favourites

I love East! Delicious food, pleasant atmosphere and always friendly service. A must visit.

Kate__3

Points +16

22 Aug 2023

Yum

Great options

Vegesaur2020

Points +291

20 Jun 2023

Great food, but not cheap

This is a top restaurant. If you are looking for fancy and quality this place has it all, but it comes at a high price.

Pros: Good food, Quite a few vegan options

Cons: Expensive, Awkward location to get to

spise01

Points +929

11 Jun 2023

Delicious! 4 stars because they serve some egg/dairy

Everything was great. I had the Penang curry which was sweet and delicious, the wok Asian greens which were good but only bok choy, rice of course, and tried the chocolate tart and key lime kaffir. Both desserts were delicious but I highly recommend the chocolate tart.

Pros: Almost fully vegan, Friendly service , Delicious!

phynal

Points +164

18 May 2023

Eat at east

We found most dishes were vegan and staff very knowledgable and helpful with choices. Highly recommend the gochujang cauliflower.

Lunatarius

Points +341

26 Mar 2023

Amazing Vegetarian East Asian eats

Amazing selection of both vegan and vegetarian dishes, beautiful presentation and ambience. A bit on the pricier side but well worth the visit.

Pros: Lots of vegetarian and vegan dishes, Good service and ambience

Cons: A bit on the pricier side

DHAMLYN

Points +70

01 Mar 2023

Tasty. and many vegan options.

Hot, fresh, tasty and fast vegan dishes. If I lived here this would be a regular dining spot.

Meiga

Points +17

10 Feb 2023

Best kimchi ever!

I had lunch there recently and I was impressed by the food. Most of the time it's difficult to get good Asian vegetarian food, but here the choice was really big. I especially liked the kimchi, it was literally the best I've had outside Korea.

VeganBLS

Points +57

08 Feb 2023

great food and vibes

we booked at the hotel and only found out that the restaurant had great vegan options on arrival. we’ve eaten here twice and tried lots of the menu now. everything has been amazing, but the stars of the show include:
- the shitaake mushrooms
- the aubergine/eggplant special
- the salt and pepper tofu special

Pros: lots of vegan options - almost all, nice vibes in the restaurant , good wine and beer selection - all vegan

Cons: a little on the expensive side - but worth it!

ilikevegg

Points +341

18 Jan 2023

A classy establishment offering vegetarian & vegan food

It's wonderful having a classy vegetarian restaurant in Auckland! (Finally.)

East has some fab vegan options, but I would love to see them switch to all vegan. I believe they use eggs in their noodles so they're not vegan which is upsetting.

Most of all the dishes I've tried have been really impressive. The mushrooms, cauliflower and curry dishes are all very good.

Sometimes service can be pretty slow, and it's not uncommon that your cocktail will come after you've already finished a few starters.

Overall, I would recommend East and fingers crossed they'll go vegan!

Pros: vegan curry

Cons: Slow service

yumchadong

Points +4905

05 Jan 2023

Mediocre

Sadly, like so many restaurants in NZ, East also suffers from excessive use of sugar in their dishes.

We tried 4 different dishes: pickled cucumber, bang bang mushrooms, spicy eggplant, and their monthly special. The pickled cucumber must have been marinated in syrup. I didn’t enjoy it, but it was nothing compared to the (bang bang) shiitake mushrooms which felt like they should have been part of the desert menu. The spicy eggplant was not spicy but rather on the sweet side of things. However, if you eat it after the shiitake mushrooms you won’t notice it so much.

The monthly special (bean curd mince) was the best dish. I loved the Thai spicing of the mince and that it was not sweet. The original dish came the egg on top but we asked it to be replaced with vegetables. It was served on top of white rice which is kind of random given that the dish doesn’t contain any sauce.

Note that all dishes are pre-prepared. Before ordering we inquired if they could prepare the dishes without added sugar which wasn’t possible.

Also, they add charge 2% fee for paying with card. Apparently if you have a physical debit card issued in NZ you can avoid this, but it doesn’t help you much if you are just visiting.

SaveTheKiwiBird

Points +74

02 Jan 2023

Best meal I’ve had in ages

Everything was delicious. Lovely atmosphere. Staff was great. We had the crispy cups, the ginger caramelized shiitake mushrooms, sticky jackfruit bao buns, mushroom and truffle steamed dumplings (Out of this world! You know the scene in Ratatouille where Remy’s brother Emile experiences the fireworks of mixing flavors? It happened to me eating these dumplings!) papaya salad (fresh and fantastic!), spicy garlic eggplant (I hate eggplant but someone else in our party ordered and I ate two, big for me) and ended with the salted caramel chocolate tart (I don’t like sweets but someone else ordered and it was very good). Don’t you dare set foot in this restaurant and miss the truffle dumplings, they are a bit of heaven melting in your mouth. You will not regret it. You’re welcome.

Updated from previous review on 2023-01-02

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Delicious food, Elegant atmosphere

US Kiwi

US Kiwi

Points +128

Absolutely fantastic!

One of thee best restaurants I have been to in a long while. The food was absolutely fantastic and the drinks also so tasty and well presented. You MUST try the dumplings! There was not a thing on the menu we tried that we didn’t like. #Veganuary

Pros: Amazing food, Awesome drinks , Great staff

Cons: They keep the recipes very close to the chest….

DanielSchroppe

Points +309

27 Dec 2022

Great food and ambience

Loved the cool open place, linked to a hotel. A lot of light throu the windows. Very nice presentation of the food. All dishes I had were delicious..

MatureVegan

Points +91

27 Nov 2022

Delectable

First time here. Will definitely be back. The Bang Bang shitake mushrooms were a revelation. Highly recommended.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Vegan Chef's Choice menu for 4, Friendly staff

Cons: 1 satay skewer between 4 not enough!

Zelena

Points +168

14 Nov 2022

Cozy and stylish resto with delicious food

The vegan options are clearly marked and ingredients listed to ease choosing and altering per your needs. The food is yummy and nicely presented. The pancakes with jackfruit were really filling and flavorful.
I certainly recommend the place for a nice dinner.

Updated from previous review on 2022-11-14

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked, Location and ambience, Service

deadendjob

Points +1814

02 Oct 2022

Delicious

Great food, drinks and service. The Bang Bang Mushrooms & Peang Curry in particular were excellent.

Updated from previous review on 2022-10-02

Einahpets216

Points +943

01 Oct 2022

Delicious, fun and central

East has some very delicious dishes, friendly staff and an overall elegant yet funky vibe. The bang bang mushrooms were very tasty and every dish we had was a hit. Would happily go back again with more people and get the “trust the chef” menu.

Pros: Largely vegan menu with a few vegetarian dishes, Nice cocktails , Lovely decor

Cons: A little dear, No easy parking