Earth's General Store

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 780-439-8725

9605 82nd Ave, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6C 0Z9

Its first locations, a full service store providing fresh, packaged, bulk, chilled, and frozen foods that's all-veg and include gluten-free. Products range from organic fair trade coffee, tea, and chocolate to organic bedding, worms (composting), bulk cleaners, personal care products, recycled paper products, candles, magazines. Has vegan cheese, coconut milk beverage, and other vegan foods. Large selection books. Houses the library for the Vegetarians of Alberta. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-6:00pm.

First Review by marben

My Favourite Store - A Community - Edit

Earth's General Store (EGS) is celebrating 25 years of business in Edmonton this week! When I first moved to this city, I felt like the only vegetarian let alone vegan. I would go to EGS when I was in the area, before it was a full-fledged grocery store.
They offer almost an entire aisle of frozen vegan options (only one shelf has butter on it), and that is their entire freezer section! The non-vegan items at this location are about the same in volume to what most grocery stores provide for their entire vegan options - luckily, other grocery stores are changing! The selection of organic and fair-trade products is also amazing and important to how this store is run.
The bulk items are extensive. They encourage you to bring in your own container, have it weighed before you fill it, and filled with liquid refills by the staff, or dry items yourself. The quality is usually the best available, and the price is most often the lowest in the area! They rotate their stock accordingly, too, so I always trust the freshness!
They have a limited offering of raw vegan snacks and treats. The produce is fresh, local (when possible), and 100% organic!
I can remember my first visit there. As soon as I walked up the stairs (of the old location), I was greeted with acceptance and welcomed into the community of people who care, with their wealth of knowledge about how we can help our planet. Several years ago, they moved down the street (by bicycle!) into a larger location and expanded to carry groceries. The community hub remains today, and the staff is still quite knowledgeable.
As a "regular," I have to give myself more time for a visit every time I buy my groceries, but they're also attentive to new customers.
The parking lot is often home to many inspiring groups raising awareness and funds for some pretty amazing causes. I couldn't imagine surviving Alberta without this business, and the investment it continuously makes into my community.
Thank you, EGS, for being the longest-running vegetarian store in Alberta before other businesses even knew what "vegetarian" meant. Thank you for 25 years of service in this community!

Pros: great bulk section, fresh organic produce, vegan treats galore!!!

Nice place to shop - Edit

I really like to shop in this store. They have a varied selection and the staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. the prices are good. I was really impressed with the freshness of the produce.

Pros: Good parking, Great Selection, Friendly staff

Very quaint :) - Edit

This place is really on top of bringing the latest vegan products, the owner is also very receptive to bringing in something they do not yet carry! The lay out is something to get used to, but the place is small enough that within two trips you'll know where to find everything you need. Their prices are lower than the organic chains in town and sometimes they have neat specials on vegan chocolate bars which is a god-send!

Pros: Price, Location, Selection

Great Selection - Edit

I really like going here for the products offered (and the pricing!) - they have things like vegan chocolate bars and vegan jerky that you can't find at the "chain" health-food stores, their prices are also lower then P.O and Blush Lane.
The produce is always fresh - honestly the best produce out there.

The majority of employees are super friendly and helpful but the owner can be a bit...intense/abrupt. But don't let that fool you - it is still an awesome place to shop!!!

Pros: Price, Location, Selection

Cons: Store Size, Owner

One of my favorite stores - Edit

Earth's General Store has a good variety of vegetarian and vegan products. Vegan items are labelled vegan on the shelves which makes it super easy to shop - you don't have to read product labels! The staff are always eager to help and are knowledgable about the products. I love this store, but don't visit too often as it's quite a drive for me.

Pros: Great parking, Friendly, knowledgable staff, Wide selection

vegan heaven - Edit

Bought so many vegan products here that I had never heard of before, including hot jerky and coconut ice cream bars. Prices are mostly within reason, and products are very unique. If you are veg in Edmonton, this place is a must to check out.

Favorite vegan foods store - Edit

I love shopping at Earth's General Store. Not only are they competitively priced with chain competitors like Planet Organic, but there staff are like a billion times more helpful and friendly. I love the wide selection of items that are available in bulk. EGS also puts on classes and workshops that are great too! I'm only sad that I have to drive my car to get over to the store, would love if someday they were able to have a downtown location!

Pros: amazing selection, good prices, friendly staff

Rad people, good place - Edit

This place is great. The staff are friendly, they tend to carry items that are impossible to find (vegan chocolate bars!) or items that other stores in the city don't carry. I am glad they offer refills on products like shampoo and soap with your own container. I like that they offer literature and leaflets about world and local events. They also have a kids area that I am not nervous about leaving my child in while I shop. A+!

Pros: Kids area, good prices, refills!

Cons: A little out of the way, Close too early sometimes

a great experience - Edit

wonderful staff, very helpful. a fantastic principle. GREAT products, even carry the infamous blackspot sneaker! Reasonably priced. I Love that these folks support a principle while in business - you can find lots of information and links to other organizations like Vegetarians of Alberta, etc.

Pros: awesome products, great principle, lots of information too

Cons: no stroller accessibility

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Earth's General Store closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1849 times since Aug 2007.