Earth Cafe

+44-1618341996

16-20 Turner St, Manchester, England, M4 1DZ

Food is vegan except organic cow's milk on request for tea/coffee. Food policy listed on cafe's website. Gluten free and garlic free options. Operates on basis of Buddhist ethics. Located near Arndale Shopping Centre, Northern Quarter, High Street tram stop. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-4:00pm, Sat 10:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Organic, Buffet, Take-out, British

First Review by child of the trees

Nice place - Edit

Nice food, ok prices, good location

Pros: Vegan, healthy food, Nice people

Cons: Small portions

Home! - Edit

This place is more like home to me than my home! I eat here all the time, the main dishes are always yummy and hearty and the salad selection is divine! You can get a box with 4 options in for £6 (one main, two sides, one salad I think) and it's always my lunch of choice! The food options change daily to keep things interesting but there's always some yummy vegan cakes on offer too!
Really I'm surprised Earth Cafe is classified as vegan as this place is vegan apart from offering cows milk in brews (which I never see people ask for but I'm sure it must happen)

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly service, Vegan cakes!!!!

Cons: Gets unbelievably busy at lunchtimes, The front of the restaurant can be crowded

Love it!!! - Edit

Food is amazing, the people there are lovely and the price is good. What makes this place even better is all the food is vegan, what makes it vegetarian is that it offers dairy milk in coffee and tea. However the space is small so get full at peak times and it is canteen style so options can be limited.

Buddhist cafe - Edit

Humble food, good price, generous portion sizes. The cafe is based in the building of the Buddhist collective and has a nice atmosphere

Pros: Price, Location

Cons: Small menu

Vegan Options Including Fabulous Cakes - Edit

Earth Cafe is a cheap eats kind of place and everything is vegan, although they do offer dairy milk. Have a large selection of cakes available and menu changes daily which includes various hot dishes and salads.

Pros: Vegan Options

Budget friendly, clean tasting food - Edit

100% vegan and delicious home made tasting food. Had a lovely lunch here today, we both had the butterbean stew with quinoa, mixed raw salads and a "sausage" roll. The shakes were also yummy, we tried the chocolate/peanut butter one and the banana and ginger (both made with soy milk). Overall we spent £20 and left very full and contented. Will definitely be visiting again 10/10 also, the ladies who worked there were lovely :-)

Pros: 100% vegan, Non processed food, Budget friendly

Cons: Short on seating so avoid peak times if you want y

great food - Edit

Good food and lovely service.

loved it! - Edit

Great food, great friendly service

A good option if you're in town - Edit

Certainly worth a stop - it's a useful venue

Pros: Central, Inexpensive , Varied cuisine

Very Pleasant Place but Not Great Otherwise - Edit

I really like the feel to the place, you don't realise it as you enter but round the back is very nice and chilled. The sort of place to sip and cup of tea and read for ages.

The service was pretty poor, not unfriendly just incompetent. I just wanted a bit of cake, it was only slightly busy and it took the better part of 5 mins from entering to sitting down with my cake. The guy didn't know if the cakes had something I'm intolerant off which is fine but I had to tell him to go ask the chef instead of him knowing to try to be helpful. Same guy was mixing up some other people's order.

The cake was fairly average in terms of taste but the sponge texture was a bit off- I'd go with probably over cooked. The price was very reasonable.

I didn't bother trying the mains since the menu wasn't that exciting given the many other vegan options within a few mins walk.

Updated from previous review on Saturday February 07, 2015

Update: Sept 2015
I went back and had cake again, this time the texture was fine and I don't know what the flavour was but it wasn't chocolate like it was meant to be.

I also had mains, the serving size is decent considering it's cheap. I had kofta which was really nice and dal which was totally bland. Overall I'm probably going to give up on Earth

Manchester visit - Edit

I visited here with my friend who is Vegan while on our trip to Manchester. As a newly vegetarian but full time juicer i was intrigued to see what a fully veg place is like as i have never been to one!
The staff where awesome, real welcoming and took time to explain the options that where on offer that day.
I went for a veggie burger and a green juice/smoothie type thing. The burger arrived promptly. It was cheap and cheerful.Bap/Bun and sparsely garnished. I would have liked some more tomato and onion but hey it was like £3 so what do you expect right? It was dam good tho!
The shake was lovely, i asked for added ginger as well i love ginger but maybe it was not enough for me.Maybe im just picky!
I then got some vegan cake and ice cream...it was lovely :) All in all my first trip to a fully vegan place was great and enlightening. I hope to visit many more places like this!

Cheap and cheerful - Edit

A fantastic lunch option in the city centre. For £6 you can get a huge portion of food and it's always tasty. If you get spicy food here, you can definitely taste the spice! Everything is vegan, and there are always a few tempting options. The dishes change every day and the food is served canteen-style. There are usually about 5 cakes as well, and the hot drinks can be served with dairy or non-dairy milk. The staff are lovely, but it can be very busy during the rush hour.

Pros: Hearty portions, Great food, Value for money

Cons: Small restaurant, Busy at lunchtime

Yummy food! - Edit

I visited on the 25/2/2015 and thoroughly enjoyed my meal! My boyfriend and I had the freshly squeezed OJ which was delicious and then chose four options for £6. I had the curry with potatoes, rice and the roulade. My boyfriend had the curry with potatoes, rice and polenta bake. We split the roulade and polenta so we could both have a try of each and everything was delicious! Great value for money and we were happily full for the rest of our day spent in Manchester :) staff could be a little more helpful if they mumbled less!

Pros: Great value for money, Many options, Tasty

Cons: staff were a little unhelpful

Wheelchair access - Edit

We visited this place a few years ago, but could not get into it because it has no wheelchair access. I asked them if they would be making it accessible at some stage for wheelchairs, and they said they would be, as soon as is possible. that was about 3 years ago, now November 2014, they still haven't got wheelchair access, and we haven't been able to go into the place.

Cons: Access to the building

not the same anymore - Edit

[edit by staff]
Earth used to be the cleanest, purest, most enlightened place in Manchester - even better than Eighth Day. It felt so good to sit in the back room with the Buddha statue. The food was always super clean and the service was solid.

It's just not the same place any more, which is a shame. I miss it, but won't go back to feel the depressing facsimile of itself that it has become.

Pros: none any more

Cons: hateful service, bad food , not the same Earth any more

Flavourful and inexpensive - Edit

The friendly lady running this place told me everything is totally vegan apart from the option of cow's milk in hot drinks.

You pay £6 for a choice of 4 dishes from the counter. I had a chilli with brown rice, koftas with coconut sauce and roasted potatoes.

It made for a fairly big portion and all the elements were very tasty.

Also had the Sunrise juice too. Freshly made and good sized glassful for £3.

All in all, a flavourful and inexpensive meal.

Pros: Tasty, Friendly, Inexpensive

Very good - Edit

I had the "Sunset"-juice which tasted very great. The prices are not too inexpensive but it's worth the money. The staff is friendly. I think the speciality of this eatery is its way of behaving with food. They adjust their menu to the local markets and season and have a extra commitment to the food or rather to prepare the meals.

Great Place to Eat - Edit

The food is delicious, great choice. Cakes are wonderful.The staff are friendly. It has a nice vibe to the place. I highly recommend.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good atmosphere

Cons: a bit cramped

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Earth Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.