Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen

Contact 815-356-9980

110 N Main St, Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA, 60014

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant and bar. Veg choices including pizza, tempura green beans, hummus, salad, sandwiches. Uses local and some organic ingredients; there is a list on the wall of the different farms in the area where they are sourcing ingredients (and also grows some of the produce). Half-price veggie food on Mondays. Vegan beer and wine selections, too. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-1:00am, Sun 11:30am-1:00am, Fri-Sat 11:30am-2:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by MattyB

Disappointed - Edit

Dukes used to be one of the only options in the area...now they're really no different than anywhere else. With only one vegan option on the menu it was so disappointing. They used to have 3 or 4 listed as vegan. I am usually so grateful when there are any vegan options but since they've cut their options down it has become very frustrating to go there especially since the service can be very slow there as well. The servers used to be knowledgeable about what vegan means, now some are clueless. Cute atmosphere and good beer but the food is just mediocre.

Legitimate Vegan Options in the Suburbs - Edit

My husband and I ordered the grilled vegetable flatbread pizza that is made with Daiya. The crust was delicious! It had plenty of Daiya on it too. We had the jalapeno hummus for an appetizer, which was tasty and a nice portion. My husband was very happy with the beer selection. Here's the one thing that makes me maybe not want to come back...the second I walked in - the smell of urine hit me! I thought maybe it was just the restrooms leaking into the bar/entrance area, but the smell was also in the dining area. I went to the bathroom, and it did not smell like that in the bathroom. It smelled like air freshener. They must use the same dirty mop for the bathroom and the rest of the restaurant. Yuck!!! Other than that, the service was friendly; it was a pretty cool building, and the location is great - downtown Crystal Lake is really nice. Maybe the smell was a one-time thing. I'll probably give it another chance sometime. There were a lot of other people there who seemed to be regulars, so it must not have been bothering everyone.

Pros: options actually marked vegan on menu, friendly, tasty pizza

Cons: place smelled like urine!, somewhat inconvenient parking, could have more vegan items

Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen - Edit

Last weekend I was shocked by the offerings of Duke's Alehouse...way out in Crystal Lake at that! I ordered the raw pasta, not expecting my dish to be awesome. But my assumption was wrong, that raw pasta was very good. It was made of zucchini and had sun dried tomatoes and olive tapenade - I didn't even have to salt my dish. I have a lot of friends in the area, so I'll certainly go back and try their other offerings. Certainly Duke's was above my expectations.

Great option in the suburbs - Edit

It's really nice to have a place with a few good vegan options out here. My first time there I had the raw spaghetti salad. Very healthy, tasted ok. Second time I had the vegan pizza that comes topped with arugula salad. It was excellent! I also like the fried tempura beans. Love the huge beer selection. Plenty of vegan options there. Only negative was the waiter who called me 'hun.' I found that extremely rude.

Pros: Multiple vegan options, Nearby, Great beer selection

Cons: Rude waiter

Good food, good beer, good people - Edit

This is a nice restaurant/bar that has a few vegan and vegetarian meals, and a great beer selection. The establishment is environmentally conscious and is a hidden gem in an area with very little to offer vegans. Located right at the Metra station in Crystal Lake.

Pros: Vegan choices in a town that offers none, Good beer selection

Cons: Only a few vegan options

Return to Crystal Lake Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Duke's Alehouse and Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1724 times since Aug 2011.