Dreamy Weenies

• Veg-friendly
Contact 504-872-0157

740 N Rampart St (at French Quarter), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, 70116

Serves meat, vegan options available. New Orleans style hot dogs that includes a few vegan ones as well as a vegan chili and non-traditional toppings some of which are vegan. The prepping, cooking, and serving process avoids any mixing of ingredients and oil. Located opposite Louis Armstrong Park.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Poundie

vegan friendly! - Edit

So many vegan options. There were about 4 different hot dogs to choose from and lots of toppings including vegan mayo, cheese, chili, and all of the are vegan as well. The waffle fries were tasty.

Lots of Vegan Options - Edit

They had a ton of different vegan hot dogs (like andouille and kielbasa), vegan toppings (like chili and avocado), and vegan sides (like beans and rice, fries). The vegan bun was SO GOOD and hearty to stand up to all the yummy food. Great service too.

Pros: quick, lots of options, tasty

Cons: atmosphere was lacking

Yum!! - Edit

Lady at the counter toured me through the vegan items on the menu, ended up with smoked chicken dog with delicious vegan bun topped with vegan Cole slaw, vegan remoulade sauce, and roasted garlic. Vegan seasoned waffle fries also incredible. They had a special homemade ice tea too, highly recommended!

Pros: Nice location and decor, Knowledgeable staff, Awesome food

Cons: none!!

Delicious & knowledgeably vegan-friendly - Edit

I was impressed with Dreamy Weenies. The staff is incredibly vegan-knowledgeable, knowing exactly which items are vegan and which are not. I got the vegan smoked chicken flavor after asking the staff which of their fancy-sounding vegan flavors (there are 5) would be the closest to a classic all-American hot dog. There is a separate vegan bun, but the staff seemed on top of it. With a side of waffle fries and some hibsicus tea, I was in heaven. Absolutely delicious! The hot dog was flavorful and the bun was some of the best bread I've had for a hot dog (I believe they make them in-house). The fries were classicly spiced and crisp. They have plenty of indoor seating and on-street parking right near Louis Armstrong Park and the Voodoo Spiritual Temple, so it's worth getting out of the French Quarter and stopping by!

Pros: Numerous vegan options, Knowledgeable & friendly staff, Delicious customizeable options

Cons: No dedicated parking (on-street only)

Wiener Winner - Edit

I'm not a hot dog fan, but we decided to try this place out. I was tickled that vegan andouille sausage was just one of several vegan options. There was plenty to choose from, and portions were generous. Staff was knowledgeable and friendly. Would definitely go here again when in NOLA.

Pros: lots of vegan options, friendly staff, good food

Cons: not much on atmosphere, cash only, no beer

Delicious vegan dogs! - Edit

Dreamy Weenies (such an awesome name) is pretty fab. Although not 100% vegan, they do offer 4 or 5 different types of vegan "hot dogs" with the option of a (very tasty) vegan bun. Additionally, they also offer vegan chili as a topping. The staff was extremely friendly and informative and made us feel welcomed. We were only in NOLA for three days and ate at Dreamy Weenies twice, that's how good it was! Definitely a must try when in New Orleans.

Also, the seasoned waffle fries are incredible!!

Cons: Wish the corn dogs could be vegan!

Excellent! - Edit

My husband and I were so excited and super pleased to discover this new treasure. The vegan hot dogs and fries were excellent. It's a special treat knowing they took special care with our vegan dogs. The service was great. Next time we visit New Orleans we will def go again!

Pros: Excellent service, Clean environment, Great value

hotdog happy - Edit

Yummy! I got the vegan smoked chicken dog with the ketchup, onion, vegan cheese and mustard with a side of potato salad which is vegan and waffle fries!
They also have vegan grits here!

I have now ate too much and I am ridiculously full, but I bet I am back here tomorrow.

Pros: Service, All of the vegan food, POTATO SALAD

Ranked 1 of the Top 5 Vegan Hot Dogs in the US - Edit

PETA recently ranked Dreamy Weenie's Vegan House Special as one of the top five vegan hotdogs in the US [http://www.examiner.com/article/go-vegan-this-fourth-of-july-with-a-meat-free-weenie]

I haven't had the Vegan House Special (nor have I tried all of the vegan hot dogs on offer in this country yet), but I've had Dreamy Weenies' food and it's delicious. No skimping here! An array of vegan options for dogs and toppings alike. And don't tell your omnivorous pals, but ALL OF THE SIDES ARE VEGAN TOO!

Now if they would only veganize that corn dog!

Pros: delicious food & generous servings, all the sides are vegan, very friendly

Cons: no vegan corn dog option

Love this place-wish I could give 5 cows! - Edit

The staff here are so friendly and awesome- they know their menu, they know what vegan is and they fully accomodate us. What more do we need? :)

They have a few veggie/vegan options which does include vegan toppings, vegan cheese, vegan side dishes, etc! It's all cooked separately too and I just love how they've accommodated us and made no fuss about it at all. Really impressed.

The hotdogs themselves are nice, good flavours and varieties depending on which dog you choose plus topping options- lots of choice!

We ended up eating here on four occasions whilst in town as we just felt so comfortable and happy with the place :)

Pros: the staff make this place, such a solid vegan menu, plenty of space, seats, opening hours

Cons: i wish it was near my home! :(

Good vegan options - Edit

Great vegan hot dogs here. There are a bunch of topping options for vegans, and several hot dog options (I think they're Tofurkey) and it's really filling, especially if you like loading on the toppings.

Pros: friendly staff, huge hotdogs, delicious

Finally Hot Dogs - Edit

It's a great place for Vegetarians/Vegans since you can build your own Hot Dog. Honestly, the vegan sausages are very heavy and big. We went there two times. First time I took the Kielbasa, second time i chose the Falafel sausage. Even though the Falafel sausage tasted just like Falafel balls, they were much easier to digest and didn't make me feel stuffed all day. The staff is really nice and helpful, they are aware of the differences between vegans and vegetarians. Eat a Hot Dog and take a walk around the Louis Armstrong Park!

Delicious!! - Edit

Every time I go here it takes me forever to order, there are just so many more possibilities than I'm used to! Multiple vegan dog options, and most of the sides are vegan. You could actually go here and get a vegan dog on a vegan bun and get vegan chili/potato salad/cheese put on top!! The fries are delicious too. The staff is super friendly. Really mellow vibe and it's right across from the lovely Armstrong Park, so if it's especially lovely out grab your meal to go and enjoy it in the park!

Simple and satisfying - Edit

I stayed right up the street from Dreamy Weenies during my visit to NOLA. They are incredibly friendly and provided a much needed warm spot in the unseasonably cold weather.

I had the Satchmo with the vegan andouille dog, and the seasoned waffle fries. The waffle fries, homemade bun, and the red beans and rice were all top notch. The only thing that was slightly less stellar was the vegan dog itself. It tasted ok, but definitely isn't the star flavor of the meal, the way I remember hot dogs from my pre-vegan days. I have a feeling this is just due to the fact that a tofu dog is not actually meat and really has nothing to do with Dreamy Weenies method of preparation. In fact, I appreciated the combination of the substance and a bit of spice of the andouille dog and the richer flavors from the red beans and rice as well as the yummy bun.

These guys do their thing (hot dogs and fries) but they do it well! I went back twice during my stay. :)
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 08, 2014

Pros: Yummy buns! , Seasoned waffle fries!

I hope you're hungry - Edit

The portions are huge. I went with my husband and we were expecting tiny TofuPups. Wrong. I believe the brand they use is Tofurkey. The topping were awesome and almost everything is vegan. All the sides are vegan as well. Get the seasoned waffle fries.

Pros: Delicious , Separate grill for vegan food, location

Cons: Soggy sweet potato fries

Totally Dreamy - Edit

Absolutely loved Dreamy Weenies! I generally try to avoid the faux meats, but they were so good. They have 5 or 6 different vegan dogs to choose from and all the toppings are vegan. They even have Daiya. I had the satchmo topped with red beans and rice. Yum! My husband had the Higgy topped with chili, cheese, and grits. Unfortunately, we stopped in on our last day in town. Otherwise, we would have gone back. The wait staff was incredibly friendly and helpful.

Pros: Tons of vegan options, Friendly staff, Prompt service

Awesome Food and Staff - Edit

I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and I was pleasantly surprised to find Dreamy Weenies. As soon I walked in the staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about what was vegan and what was not. They use separate pots for their vegan hotdogs.

They have three different vegan hotdogs to choose from. They also have a bunch of different toppings for their hotdogs. I got a hotdog with red beans on rice on top and it was excellent.

If you're in New Orleans, you should definitely stop by and have a dog and enjoy the southern hospitality.

Pros: Great food, Friendly Staff , Many options

clean, friendly, vegan options - Edit

Every once in a while it's nice to eat what everybody else is eating - even if it's a vegan substitute. If you are going to Louis Armstrong park stop in and have a vegan weenie. Add sweet potato fries if you really want to feel "normal".

Pros: vegan weenie, clean, friendly

Cons: only drink is soda, white bun

Best Experience So Far - Edit

I've been to NO four times now for service trips over the past six years and have always stayed in the French Quarter. Just found out about this place and stopped by after reading they had vegan OPTIONS...which was an understatement (vegan dogs, vegan chilli, daiya cheese, and all the veggie toppings allow for at least 25 good ways, or more, to make a vegan dog). The co-owner who helped me was super nice and gave me a very detailed run-through of what was/wasn't vegan. Vegan options are cooked separately and you aren't charged any more for getting them. GREAT PLACE! SUPPORT THEM WHEN YOU CAN!

Pros: price, service, quality

Cons: none, none, none

Hot dog shop, with vegan options - Edit

This eatery focuses on hotdogs. It includes in its menu some vegan hotdogs that are cooked separate from other hot dogs on the menu. The vegan hotdogs were quite good, and the atmosphere was relaxed, and counter service was friendly. In all, it was a nice place to find a cheap vegan meal in a town where vegan meals are not easily found. This restaurant is in the French Quarter across the street from Louis Armstrong Par,.

Pros: good price, nice vegan hotdogs, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: not gourmet, non over-healthy, not elegant dining

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dreamy Weenies closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3541 times since Aug 2012.