Dream House

• Vegetarian
Contact +359-29808163

50A Alabin St (at 1st floor), Sofia, Bulgaria, 1000

Bulgarian and English both spoken and on the menu. Menu is mostly vegan with main course items labeled. Also has tea, soy and rice milk. Large dining room with view overlooking the street. Directions: Look for sign in yellow & green, take the corridor into the shopping centre, then take the white door to the left which is the entrance of a hostel, walk up a flight of stairs and you will find the entrance door there.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Asian, Bulgarian

First Review by Dobre

All-you-can-eat buffet on Sunday - Edit

Dream House is the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Sofia that I have ever visited. The atmosphere and the overall experience I've had from this place haven't changed since my first visits in 2005.

The food is okay. There are some really great foods on the menu, while others I simply don't like. A huge downfall is that sometimes you order something favorite and it turns out they don't have it available at the moment. Especially, when it comes to the vegan sushi (where they use quinoa instead of rice).

Dream House is the best place to visit on Sunday.

Every Sunday afternoon (12 to 4 pm) there is an all-you-can-eat buffet where you can choose from dozens of delicious meals, and all that for 10 leva (€5). And best of all, most of the food at the buffet is vegan.

Dream House is a vegetarian restaurant and most of the times you should always ask the staff if something is vegan or not. Unfortunatelly, sometimes they tell you that something is vegan but it turns out that it contains honey. So you should be careful and ask if it contains honey in addition to the questions if it's vegan.

The interior deisgn is really cute. They have the cutest tables and chairs, the personnel have always been smiley and nice to customers.

It's the oldest, the cheapest and the most accessible vegetarian restaurant in Sofia. Go there on Sunday afternoon and stuff yourself with a lot of food.

Pros: All-you-can-eat buffet every Sunday, Cute interior, Relatively cheap

Cons: Some food is great, other is awful, You should ask about everything if it's vegan, Not all food off the menu is available all the tim

Come for a simple but hearty meal - Edit

We stayed in Sofia for a couple of days and Dream House was the last vegan/vegan-friendly venue we decided to try. It's located at the very heart of Sofia, so it is really accessible. It may seem that it is hard to find but once you spot their sign there's no chance to get lost. They have great lunch offers that vary day by day and come at a great price. Food comes in really decent portions so you won't walk away hungry. It is really quite simple, almost has a home-made feeling to it, which is quite nice. Also there's a hostel right next door so you can stay there and come to the restaraunt to eat, which is very convenient. All in all, definitely would come again when in Sofia!

Pros: Food, Location, Prices

Healthy but not amazing - Edit

I ordered the buckwheat pancakes and mediterranean salad. Both looked good and they tasted healthily (yes, I can tell :D) but I can't say I'd love having them again. Same goes for my boyfriend who had bamboo salad and broccoli with olive paste. So, all in all - good food but not great. :)

Pros: healthy, many vegan options

Cons: mediocre food, medium-to-small portions

What is good is not good enough - Edit

The food is not great, but good enough. The Chinese dishes (Tofu Gong Bao and Sichuan potatoes) are far away from the real thing, but eatable. Medium to big portions.
Anyway is very cheap, and definitely good value for money.

Pros: Very cheap, Central location, Nice music

Cons: They don't accept payment by card , Food could be more tasty

Nice spot in central location - Edit

I ate at Dream House twice during my trip to Sofia. I was happy to find such a conveniently located veg place and I liked the kind of grungy and artsy atmosphere. The owner of the place was really kind and helpful to me (which I really appreciated after experiencing pretty poor customer service elsewhere in Sofia) and she recommended a few dishes to me, including the buckwheat pancakes with mushroom which were tasty (but had a little too much cheese for my liking). I enjoyed the simplicity of the quinoa with aubergine dish and the chickpea patties - it was hard to choose what to eat, as everything on the menu sounded so good! I'd defintely go back if I was in Sofia.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 29, 2015

Pros: Extensive menu, Friendly owner, Artsy atmosphere

Ideal for lunch break - Edit

First of all make sure to read the hints how to find this place carefully in advance to be sure not it miss it.
Once you are there you most likely won't be disappointed. Interior is simple and straight forward, no knick-knacks, no unnecessary stuff. Huge range of starters, salads, mains and so on. But, seriously, it won't kill them to change those tattered menus, since most of them fall apart. Not much effort needed here to make a big difference. As mentioned, there are lots of choice, but they have to be chosen with reason. I for instance ordered a dish with mushrooms and tofu which indeed turned out to be only mushrooms with tofu drowned in some dark sauce. It wasn't bad, yet I would have enjoyed it much more with rice or pasta aside.
Home-made orangeade was great. For dessert I took a pancake with jam since they had run out of most of their desserts. It was fair, not more, not less than that.

Pros: notable range of food, good value, attentive staff

Cons: kinda bleakly venue, food isn't very exiting

Decent Food - Central Location - Edit

This place is one flight up, know the address so you don't miss it. Once you are past the throngs of people from the hostel next door smoking in the stairs and hall and make your way into the restaurant it is a nice place. Very simple and basic. As another reviewer put it, not pretentious by design. The menu is in English and there are a lot of vegan options at this veggie joint. The soup I had was especially good, the main meal was fine. It is a solid choice for a decent meal, but it is just that, more utilitarian than place you want to hang out and enjoy in. Staff was very nice. Food is very cheap, a great value.

Very good and affordable veg food - Edit

This place is not very pretentious, аs design, but serves very good and tasty food.

It is easily reachable,in the city centre
,but you have to mind, they are on the first floor,so you first have to find the entrance on the left of the passage,and take the stairs.

Good choice of vegan and some vegetarian food.

Food is really good,especially for this money.

Service is good.

Enjoy!

Pros: Tasty food , Good service, Very affordable

Cons: First floor , Simple design

Lovely food in central Sofia - Edit

Sofia is rich in vegetarian restaurants with vegan options. This restaurant is a bit hard to find but it has the advantage of being one of the most centrally located. Follow the instructions given on Happy Cow and you will be fine.

The venue is tastefully decorated while the food is quite simple but very well priced, out of the 3 or so I tried in Sofia this was the cheapest venue.

The buckwheat pancakes with tapenade and vegetables were cold but lovely, while the Gado Gado was a pile perhaps unsophisticated but honest pile of vegetables coated in a thin film of peanut butter.

The desserts included a raw cake with orange: this instead was quite gourmet, very deep and lovely looking!

Pros: Low prices!, Central location, English menu

Cons: Some dishes are a bit plain, Slightly hard to find

Great, inexpensive food - Edit

I ate here five times when I was in Sofia. One thing I really liked about this place is that it is very affordable, as there are many main courses for 5 or 6 lev, and the portion size is a good one. They have a soup and two other dishes that change daily. The soup at 2 lev is cheaper than the soup in the menu, but the daily main course at 5 lev is priced about the same. Both soups I had were delicious. The stuffed peppers and moussaka from the lunch menu were decent. However, I preferred the food from the a la carte menu. The kung pao tofu was good. I had the chickpea croquettes twice, and they were also good. Although I would have preferred if the croquettes were a little crispier.

One difference I found with other vegetarian restaurants in Sofia is that they didn't automatically give me tap water. It wasn't until I went to another restaurant that I realized that tap water is ok to drink in Sofia, and there is a public spring in the downtown area where I could fill up my water bottle. It would be nice if they would start giving out tap water, without customers having to request it.

Although I am an omnivore, I like to eat vegetarian and vegan food, and at restaurants, it is nice when the vegan food is labelled on the menu which unfortunately is not the case any longer at Dream House. Unfortunately, they do not have plant milk anymore. I am lactose intolerant, so I appreciate when restaurants have plant milk.

The staff were pleasant and were patient with me when I asked questions. I also had a nice conversation with one of the staff there.

Pros: very inexpensive, tasty food

Cons: no plant milk

Good Vegan - Friendly - Edit

Decent food, good selection of vegan dishes. Dish of the day served immediately, no waiting. Personnel could be better, I found them sad and slow but helpful nevertheless. And a sad surprise for the end: no soy milk...

Pros: Fast , Vegan

Cons: Personnel , No plant milk

Really sad food - Edit

Place is decent, staff is wonderful but the salad was from a bucket, broccoli watery and over-steamed. Buckwheat crepes could have been ok but was the same salad mix again, cold, inside pancakes. [edit by staff]

Pros: Clean bright atmosphere, Nice staff

Cons: food terrible

Delicious Veg Comfort Food - Edit

After reading positive reviews for Dream House in Sofia, this restaurant was on the top of my list for restaurants I wanted to try in the city. I was invited by a prominent vegan in Bulgaria to this restaurant, and I certainly was not disappointed.

I ordered the chickpea croquettes with an olive spread, some vegetable pancakes, and a vegetable tofu dish. The chickpea croquettes were delicious and quite filling. I wasn't quite as fond of the vegetable pancakes, as I felt they could have used a bit more flavor. The vegetable tofu dish was very flavorful and tasty. For dessert, I ordered a piece of strawberry pie, and it was also quite creamy and delicious.

I would definitely recommend Dream House. The food is really tasty, the service is very good.

Pros: Food, Prices

Super, super good - Edit

Really good selection, including a lot of gluten-free options (buckwheat pancakes with vegies and olive spread- zomg). Mainly vegan too. Try the Coconut and zuccini spicy curry for the starter, and either of the tofu dishes for your main (the red rice is also amazing, as is the hummus, and the quinoa and vegies).
The staff speak good English and are really helpful for any recommendations- they also understand dietary requirements (ie- us having Celiacs). We went here 3 times in the 2 days we were in Sofia, thats how solid it is.
The food is standard Bulgaria prices, so very cheap- We just paid about E11, or lv21, for 2 startes, 2 mains (we are stuffed, nomnom) and a big pot of herbal tea.

Pros: Good service, Excellent food, Inexpensive

Cons: Opens at 11

Very nice spot - Edit

The restaurant is located just off Vitosha blvd on Alabin street. It is very easy to spot it as it has big banner. Anyway food is really tasty and fresh however you need to wait bit long when you order from the menu. It offers also for 5 Euro a buffet all you can eat which is a good deal too. I think I would only think about setting some decor as it looks chaotic. Very friendly staff.

Solid veg. restaurant - Edit

Dream House offers a wide range of interesting dishes for very reasonable prices. In fact, when I first saw the menu, I felt that I wanted to try them all!

I had the spicy tofu with peppers which was good, and a special of the day which was stuffed raw veg., which was excellent, and an interesting fruit/nut cake for dessert. Like most everywhere else in Bulgaria, the prices are incredibly reasonable.

The decor of the place is also worth a mention, it's colourful and creative. Although the entrance from street level and stairwell doesn't look promising, it makes it more surprising when you get there.

The staff were helpful and friendly. I could see myself coming here a lot if I was staying in Sofia longer.

Pros: Extensive menu, Great prices, Good location

Yummy! - Edit

This nice, cozy place has a really good selection of vegan foods. Their menu didn't impress me at first, but when I got what I had ordered... WOW! Their dishes are quite tasty and really huge. Cheap, too. Prepare to get stuffed (and/or be sure to have someone to share them with).

Pros: Tasty food, Huge portions, Cheap prices

Lovely! - Edit

Lovely place to eat in the centre of Sofia. We really enjoyed our meal there, everything was delicious. The menu is varied and vegan-friendly and the space is nicely decorated.

Pros: delicious, vegan-friendly, pleasant

Great place to eat! - Edit

Good cooking, friendly service, accommodating with my attempts to speak Bulgarian. Went back 3 times in the 5 days I was in Sofia and will do so again next trip. They even gave me some recipes for making the dishes I enjoyed so much!

Pros: good food, friendly service, clean

Cons: none

Good find - Edit

It was surprisingly good. The special had lots of nice spices and very tasty. The buckwheat pancakes were ok, but it said it had pesto in it which was actually just olive paste. In general it was a good find and extremely cheap. I liked the chocolate mousse.

Pros: Good food, Cheap

Conscious Eaterÿ - Edit

Tho' a little difficult to find (see 2006 review for directions), well worth the trip. Menu as listed on their web site is largely Vegan; & they've started using produce from their Biodynamic~Organic farmland 1200m up the mountain.
Food was lovely, service attentive, but unhurried, & the vibe is clear & calm. Take away for tomorrows lunch, but i know where I Am eating t'morrow evening!
~Ü~

Pros: generous portions, own almond & hemp milk

Cons: none

if you're in sofia and hungry, this is the place! - Edit

the sunday buffet is nice! simple but good, tasty food. the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed. you get great value for your money here. i really recommend this place for any hungry vegan/vegetarian!

Just what I needed! - Edit

After a week of subsisting on salads in Bulgaria, we finally got to Sofia and made our way to Dream House last night (August 6, 2007). The Sunday buffet was wrapping up, so we ordered off the menu instead. The food was really good. To start, we shared the hummus with sauteed zucchini which was decent (you'll need to order bread separately), and one of the salads. I can't remember the name of it, but the tomatoes were wonderful, and it also included shaved beetroot, wheat sprouts, and garlic. The best salad I've had so far in Bulgaria. For our mains, my husband had the Frijoles, which (as one should expect in Eastern Europe) was devoid of spice except for the whole jalapeno placed on top. He still enjoyed it, but my dish, the tofu with shiitake mushrooms stole the show. It was actually a blend of mushrooms, perfectly cooked with the tofu in a light soy-based sauce. The portions were huge, especially for the price, and dishes are exactly as described, so if you want rice or something, you need to order that extra. For dessert, we shared the breaded banana with walnuts and honey, which was nice, but heavy. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed, and the service was very good and friendly. However, the menu was not divided into sections like other reviews have stated. I had to ask the waiter if the dishes I wanted were vegan or not, but I think the dishes with dairy were all pretty obvious.

Pros: great food, big portions, friendly staff

Dream house, Sofia - Edit

Centrally located between Vitosha Boulevard and Hristo Belchev st. Plenty of choice with the main courses laid out in to seperate sections for lacto ovo, lacto and vegan vegetarians being very useful indeed. Plenty of choice if like me you are v v. Friendly waitress, tasty food and inexpensive. Open long hours 7 days a week. Clean and spacious restaurant with English spoken and on the menu.

Pros: Good menu choice/lay out, Long hours, central, Mega vegan veggie frndly

Hard to find? - Edit

Look for the McDonalds at the corner of Bulevard Vitosha and Alabin.Walk 50m along Alabin and on the right is a very small shopping arcade.Enter the arcade and almost immidatly on the left is a white plastic door.Go through the door into a drab stairwell and walk to the first floor.There in front of you is the door to "Dream House".Once inside you enter into a bright,modern and spacious dinning room with views overlooking the streets below.The space is split into smoking and non smoking.The menus are in Bulgarian and English ,with seperate sections for vegan,lacto and lacto-ovo,and if your lucky you will get one the friendly english speaking waiting staff.The menu is varied with a mixture of medaterainian,asian and Bulgarian dishes.The portions are large and theirs a list of several Bulgarian beers and wines to choose from while waiting for your food to arrive.The venue can get busy but there`s never any pressure to eat up and leave.

Pros: Inexspensive

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dream House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5030 times since Aug 2007.