CLOSED: Dr. J's Vibrant Cafe

Contact 213-537-0905

334 S Main St Unit 1101 (at downtown Old Bank District), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90013

Opened Jul 2013, this cafe in downtown LA serves organic, gluten-free, and vegan food without added sugar, yeast, caffeine, or alcohol. In early-2014 its menu added a few dairy options. Sample items include rice and noodle bowls topped with veggies and tofu, an alfalfa patty burger, faux ham and cheese sandwich, fresh juices and tonics, and healthy baked goods. Interior is spacious and minimalist. Park on street or in lot behind the restaurant. Reported closed to HappyCow, Sep 2014.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Asian, Fusion

First Review by Sonja and Dirk

Vegalicious!!! - Edit

I can't tell you how amazing this place is.. I have eaten there three times. The Kale salad and Quinoa salads are delicious. The original dressings are a perfect compliment to these nutritious meals. Have also tried their "chicken" sandwich with carrot fries.... Yum. The interior has a friendly, coffee bar style vibe. I will be back!!!

Grateful They Are A Block Away - Edit

This place will make people jealous it's not in their neighborhood.

Overall they're a great addition to the neighborhood.
I just had a bowl of sprouted lentil soup, carrot fries, a "meat" bowl, and a cup of fresh pear juice for $23.

I've had a detox shake with coconut water, avocado sandwich, and a chocolate chip cookie before. All yummy and definitely worth a return trip. Super happy to finally have a decent vegan spot in DTLA.

One caveat: They can be a little pricey. One time I bought 2 small cups of soup, a salad, and curry potato bowl and paid.... $39.00. BUT BUT - I think they've actually come down in price on their items so this might be outdated.

Pros: Clean ingredients, Good service, Cozy environment

Cons: Sometimes price

Excellent restaurant - Edit

My wife and I had dinner at dr j's vibrant café twice in september. The food is healthy and delicious, and the staff is very friendly. If we travel again to LA, we definitely gonna eat there again.

Pros: Healthy, Delicious, Friendly staff

Healthy, Light Food Nice Space - Edit

I had read about this on HappyCow and was in downtown LA, so my friends and I stopped in to try it out (July 2013). Here's my Dr. J's Vibrant Cafe review.

The space is casual, modern yet simple, and invokes an eco-vibe with exposed wood beams above and large windows all around. The menu is somewhat varied, though many bowls do feature tofu.

We shared a few things:
- Dr. J's bread, which were more like round shaped energy cookies comprising oats and bits. Healthy, tasty. $3.95
- Mini coconut pie. Yummy. $4.95
- Alfalfa patty burger served with raw carrot chips. Delicious. $10.95
- Rice noodle bowl with thin slices of veggies and sliced fried tofu. It was simple and healthy but felt a bit too skimp (could use more filling). $10.95
- One friend also had the potato curry which she said was a bit too spicy. I didn't try it.
- We also shared the metabolic booster (cabbage, kale, and veggies juice), and that was refreshing. $8.95

Overall, the food was healthy and clean, the desserts healthy and tasty, the juice refreshing. However not long after we left I soon felt hungry. My suggestion for improvement might be to either lower prices slightly so diners might feel that we could order more. For example, lower the main entrees by $1 (to $9.95).

As this place is brand new, I look forward to seeing what they will do to make it even better. Will return the next time I'm in the area for a juice and the pie!

Pros: fresh food, good desserts, healthy

Cons: portions could be bigger

new vegan option in downtown LA - Edit

We were invited to Dr. J's soft opening on July 3rd. They are located in the Old Bank District and are a welcome addition to downtown's vegan options. They serve vegan, organic and gluten free food with an Asian flair. They had a buffet set up with various dishes for the opening. It appears it will be counter service once they open. We tried the spring rolls and spinach salad which were excellent. The main dishes included curried potatoes, noodles, brown rice with veggies and a tofu dish. They were fresh and good. We also enjoyed tea and a shake. The interior is minimalist and modern with tables pushed together for communal dining. I look forward to them opening in the next week or so.

Pros: downtown LA, fresh and healthy

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Dr. J's Vibrant Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4053 times since Jul 2013.