Down to Earth Organic and Natural

• Health Store
Contact 808-947-7678

2525 S King St (at Oahu), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 96826

Vegetarian market on the Hawaiian islands. Features a deli and bakery, hot and cold buffet bar where food is sold by weight. Stocks a range of health food products. Multi level building allows parking on the 3rd floor above the street, extra dining area in the store on 2nd floor, and several tables on the street.

First Review by ShiraM

Its Vegan Paraadise, can I live here ? ? - Edit

I've been a customer of Down to Earth Hawaii for over 13 yrs. I've even taught cooking classes here occasionally as I used to be a vegan chef. Down to Earth is by far the best vegan/vegetarian eatery in Hawaii. Its also a vegetarian grocery store, but given our limited vegan restaurant options here, DTE hits the spot everytime. I esp. love their vegan-g-free pizza, curries on the hot bar, curry fried rice, fresh and organic salad bar ingredients, smoothies, deli sandwiches and overall vibe. The staff are always so friendly and lovely and the place is all vegetarian so you feel great giving them your money. I can't say enough great things about Down to Earth, I wish I could move into the store and live there sometimes ;)

Pros: All vegetarian/vegan grocer and deli, Amazing buffet and salad bar, tons of local and organic products

Cons: nothing !

Down to Earth Organic and Natural - King Street - Edit

This location seemed more expensive than the other locations that I have visited so far. There is parking on the ground level if you can find it but additional parking is just up the ramp. The garage parking has a parking attendant that hands out tickets (make sure to get your ticket validated at check out and bring it back to the attendant). Nice location for students at UH and residents living near by. Down to Earth does have a reward card program - free to sign up. This location has a hot and and cold bar - $9.99/lb. There are also vegan pizza options, baked goods, a smoothie and sandwich bar, wellness area and a good sized produce section.

Pros: Vegan Items

Cons: Pricey

try their pizza - Edit

this is a great place to get vitamins or groceries but I really look forward to their vegan gluten free pizza and other lunch items. the staff are also really great and super helpful

Pros: lots of vegan options good prices friendly folks

I love this location! - Edit

(No longer live in Hawaii)
I didn't live close by to this location, but I loved visiting when I was.
It has different options than the one in Pearl City, but I always feel more 'in' with the cool vegans when I visit this one! haha!
It's just really cute.
I appreciate the parking as well.

Pros: awesome location, vegan!

good selection - expensive though - Edit

Seriously everything you could want as a veg or vegan. I found myself in awe of all the things that are hard to get where I live. Produce is pretty good - lots of local options. Good selection of prepared and frozen items (if you are renting nearby this makes life easy). The food bar looked good - we had the huge salad rolls (good) - but expensive. Esp the baking. But it's nice to have the option. Smoothies looked nice but go to da spot down the street for a more affordable option

Pros: everything you might want, you will find, nice options in buffet, natural and vegan personal products

Cons: price can be prohibitive , sadly local produce costs more than imported

Paradise - Edit

This place is seriously a vegans dream come true! Friendly service with amazing selection. They have a full vegetarian buffet style deli where you can scoop your own meals or order from their counter. Also has baked goods which they mark vegan if they are vegan. Full freezer, cruelty-free beauty, cereal, baking products, everything!

Pros: Lots of vegan, Great service

Really convenient - Edit

There are numerous options for vegetarians and vegans here. There is a deli where you can get sandwiches, wraps etc. made - my husband got a rainforest sub which was very tasty. I got an avocado wrap - it was very nice but they put on way too much mustard. Another day we got some hot and cold food from the buffet - we got (all vegan) rice paper rolls, sushi, rice with veggies, potato cubes, coleslaw and some stir fry - all very tasty. We also bought some other items here such as cereal/energy bars and juice so it was really handy to get everything all in one place.

Pros: Good choice, good value

Cons: location a little far from hotel

I love down to Earth - Edit

As a vegan and someone who appreciated natural items I can say that I have always loved shopping at DTE. They have just about anything you could ask for from vitamins to shampoo to produce.

Pros: great selection, great location

Cons: a bit pricey

want to come back again - Edit

I had a basil spaghetti, grilled veges, thai curry and roasted potato from hot deli. They all were very good though a little bit too salty for me. From cold deli I had Hijiki salad, which was a chinese flavour with sesami oil, pasta salad and coleslaw. They were very tasty, too. There are many choices, all healthy and authentic.

Too good to be true! - Edit

This place is like heaven for us. Every time we go to Oahu we visit Down to Earth just about every day. There is absolutely nothing like this in Australia, though fingers crossed, there will be one day! The cafe is delicious (yum mock chicken salad, potato salad, soups, thai curry, veggie dogs, burgers etc plus fab smoothies, juices etc - and let's not forget the amazing vegan chocolate pudding, cakes, cookies and so on) plus the huge range of vegan products available on the shelves and in the fridges. Our kids' eyes almost popped out of their heads - they were sooo excited (and so were we!). Highly recommended.

fantastic all veg healthfood store/deli - Edit

Yep the parking is a little annoying, (1/2hr validation so don't linger too long), but down to earth seriously rocks! We found low fat vegan muffins we stocked up on for our breakfasts, you'll find a plethora of store made vegan baked goods. The hot bar and deli are great. Ample selection of products, one stop shop for all your organic needs

Pros: low fat vegan muffins

Cons: parking

Awesome store - Edit

During our vacation, we stopped by to stock up for our hotel's kitchenette and were pleasantly suprised to find so much great stuff. A vegetarian health food store with no meat! The deli area was great too. The majority of the items were marked vegan. We had lunch there before we shopped as well as taking deli stuff to go. My boyfriend really loved the vegan shakes (which weren't available at the other two locations which we tried too). I wish I had a Down to Earth in LA!

Pros: great deli, all veggie store, vegan shakes

Cons: parking garage not convenient with cart

This store rules! - Edit

This is the only health/natural food store in Honolulu that I feel comfortable shopping at. Unlike other health food stores that also carry non-vegetarian items, everything in this store is vegetarian or vegan. I don't have to worry about product may contain non-vegetarian ingredients or additives. I love their selection of items, too. You can find almost everything you'd need for vegetarian/vegan grocery - from deli items to household cleaning items. I disagree with the post on the store is over-priced compared to Wholefood. Although not cheap, I think they are very reasonable. They have more selections than wholefood.

I go every time! - Edit

Down to Earth is the coolest! Every time I'm in Waikiki, which is often, I always go to Down to Earth to stock up on all my vegan fixins. The whole store is vegetarian! Can you believe that? So nice.

My favorite at the salad/food bar is the mock chicken (tofu), it's delicious! Not far from the beach hotels, you can actually walk, but if you get a lot, you'll need to drive! Great place, a MUST if even just for lunch, but especially if you have a kitchen/kitchenette to stock.

A tad bit pricey, but what isn't on the islands?

Pros: totally vegetarian!, variety, smoothies too!

Cons: a little expensive

Good health food store with small cafe area - Edit

This shop has a good selection of health food - it's a bit like a whole foods store only cheaper.
They have a small cafe area with a hot and cold buffet as well as a juice bar that serves mainly sandwiches.
The salads area of the buffet was vegan but most of the hot food had cheese or dairy in it. As a vegan it may be a better option to buy from the chilled prepared food in the store section (although they have no microwave if you want to eat them hot).

They have quite a few raw vegan prepared dishes in the store as well as a good selection of vegan ice creams.
If you go up the stairs by the buffet there is a small seating area with free water and condiments (including nutritional yeast).

Pros: good selection, small cafe, friendly

Cons: few vegan buffet options, nowhere to heat food up

A wonderful whole foods marketplace - Edit

I ate at Down to Earth four or five times while staying in Honolulu. Their hot entries are available from a buffet and are $8.99 a pound. The food was very flavorful and everything is marked as to whether or not it is vegan. They also have a number of vegan baked goods. Everything was very flavorful and delicious. Some of the food is heavy, which makes purchasing it slightly expensive.

Pros: Excellent food, Organic, Well labeled

3 locations on the Is Oahu - Edit

The South King Street, near University avenue is but one of 3 locations on the island. A second is in Kailua, and third is in Pearl City. The decor is slightly different in each, the merchandise and service is the same. I have had food from the salad bar, the hot table (both buffet style) and the deli at each location. My favorite sandwich was the homemade veggie burger. The salads are all labeled with organic items, carrots, beets, spinach, etc. Parking at the Honolulu location is at a 2nd story garage in the same building, which is validated at the check stand of the grocery store. At Kailua, and Pearl City, ample shopping mall style parking is available.

Pros: friendly staff, good organic food, prepared foods and grocery

Cons: a bit pricey

Great Selection - Edit

I have just returned from Honolulu and was able to visit Down to Earth and I was impressed with the selection of products. I bought some personal care products that I haven't been able to buy in our health food store back home. I wish I had visited D-to-E earlier in our stay, rather than the last day, to sample their many interesting salads and entrees in their deli section. The avocados in their produce section were amazing, like mini footballs!

Pros: Great selection, Friendly staff, Discount if you bring your own bag

Cons: A bit crowded

I'm going back - Edit

I live in California and thought I would never go back to Honolulu or Oahu for that matter. I have the opportunity to go back and I fully intend to go to this store again. I loved the food and the selections. I liked that there is a natural foods store here as well. I would have eaten here every day of my stay if I could have.

Pros: healthy, good selection, desserts

Cons: a little pricey for some things, crowded

Great Place to Shop for Groceries and Produce - Edit

I have high standards when it comes to shopping for organic groceries and produce and Down To Earth has the best selection and volume I have come across on Oahu. If you are looking to buy vegetarian and/or vegan products for a short visit to Oahu or you live here, this is the place to go.

Pros: Large Selection, Good Organic Produce, Good Hot/Salad Bar

Cons: Expensive even compared with Whole Foods

Love this place! - Edit

This place has an awesome salad and hot bar. I went there 3 times during my stay. Tons of vegan options, including vegan desserts and baked goods. I am also gluten free, and they had a really large selection for me.

Pros: great vegan selection, excellent food

Cons: small seating area, busy during lunch time

Return to Honolulu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Down to Earth Organic and Natural closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2938 times since Aug 2007.