Down to Earth Deli Cafe

Contact 808-877-2661

305 Dairy Rd (at Central Maui), Kahului, Hawaii, USA, 96732

Vegetarian deli cafe inside the Down to Earth health food store. You can choose from the hot foods and salad bar, priced by weight, order at the deli counter for sandwiches, veggie burgers, wraps, burritos, and cold deli salads. A large majority of the food items are labeled "dairy" and some are labeled as "vegan." Has many raw food options. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-9:00pm, Sun 8:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Raw

First Review by turtle3808

Lots of vegan options - Edit

We went to Down to Earth multiple times on our visit to Maui. It's a small supermarket similar to Whole Foods and has lots of vegan options including pizza slices, a variety of hot buffet foods and salads, plus cookies and muffins. There are tables upstairs and outside and free wifi. The Powerful Protein smoothie with plant protein is vegan and amazing. Negatives - the service can be clunky and on our last visit one of the pizza slices marked vegan was in the wrong spot. It was actually cheese (not vegan) which we only found out after eating it. It took a lot of discussion with the staff to confirm this, but my stomach certainly confirmed it pretty unequivocally over the next 24 hours... This was disappointing and the staff response was lightly apologetic/nonchalant - which was further disappointing after a bunch of positive visits. The previous 4 visits were fine though.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, tables to eat in, free wifi

Cons: Clunky service, food marked vegan was in the wrong

Mmmmmm! - Edit

I had a delicious kale salad with other greens - plenty of toppings available. When I was there most of the hot bar was vegan (lots of different stuff) and looked delicious. Great store. There's also a smoothie counter.

Pros: Delicious, Lots Of Options

Brilliant! - Edit

My husband and I went here once and wished we went more often but we only had the rental car that day. I'm a vegan and he's a vegetarian. We got sandwiches - I got an "egg" salad sandwich and for later a mock chicken indonisian wrap. He got food from the hot buffet counter and I tasted some of it, it was really tasty. he got some vegan cannelloni, mock chicken strips, potato cubes and vegetarian lasagne. We also bought all of our groceries here. It's an amazing store and we thought it was some of the nicest food we had on Maui. The staff are extremely nice and helpful.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, very nice vibe-could spend all day here

The BEST vegan non-gmo hot bar & salad bar on Maui - Edit

The newly remodeled Down to Earth is gorgeous, great energy, AND delicious and amazing hot and cold vegan selections. They also have an Amy's (non-gmo) vegan burger bar.

Pros: Lots of vegan selections!, Non-GMO is clearly marked!, Great remodel job

Cons: Need a fresh organic juice bar please!

Amazing! - Edit

Incredible choice of every possible kind of vegan food available: here I saw for the first time the vegan crabcake and scallops!
Food fresh, in fridge and frozen, pretty much everything you fancy is there!
The hot food section is amazing, great sweet and sour seitan and sweet potatoes salad!

Pros: wide choice of all kind of food, staff very kind, huge parking place

All Veg Food in Kahului - Edit

I had first read about this place on happycow, and have stopped in on two previous trips to Maui. Was just here again in December 2012, and here's my Down To Earth Deli Cafe review update.

Down to Earth Market has several locations all together on the Hawaiian islands. In Maui, there's used to be a small store with deli foods in Makawao as well as one in Lahaina, but they've both closed for many years This one is the currently the only location in Maui.

The food area is immediately to the right upon entering the store. There is a salad bar, hot foods bar, deli counter, and service counter where you can order sandwiches, wraps, veggie burgers, juices and smoothies.

The salad and hot foods bar area features both lacto-veg as well as vegan food. Dairy is labeled. On any given day there might be 5-6 vegan hot dishes (brown rice, beans, baked tofu, a curry, a potato dish, etc.). Food is price by weight at $9.50 per pound (as of Dec 2012), which can get slightly expensive.

You help yourself to the hot foods and salad bar, then go over to the deli counter to order other stuff. Then you pay and take the food upstairs or outside to eat.

The second floor space is relaxed and spacious. I would recommend getting lunch here.

Pros: all vegetarian, central location

Down to Earth Deli Cafe - Edit

When I stopped in at Down to Earth I took some things to go from the hot bar and deli area. I had a tofu dish that looked like a stew, it was really good. The cookie I got from the deli was dry and flaky; I decided to throw it away after one bite. DTE is definitely a great place to stop at while in Maui, certainly better than Whole Foods.

best sandwich and wrap i've had in a long time - Edit

The deli/hot bar here is not to be missed. The rainforest sandwich/wrap (you can have sandwiches to wraps, wraps to sandwiches) is top notch, mustard lemon juice and spike combi is so good! They have so many vegan goodies, cookies, cakes, noodle wraps. There is indoor seating upstairs along with a few seats out front. I just wonder why I can't get a sandwich and wrap like this back on the mainland!

Pros: rainforest as a wrap

Cool store and. great deli - Edit

Ate here twice while visiting. They make great sandwiches to order and have a neat place to enjoy them upstairs with a view of the mountains. They also have a store that sells quality produce and organic items and a salad bar that they sell by the ounce. Enjoy!!

Pros: tasty food, staff was friendly and helpful

Cons: hmmm, they dont do breakfast

Not as vegan-friendly as the D2E cafes on Oahu - Edit

When I visit a $9.59 a pound salad bar, even in paradise, I expect the lettuce to be organic and to not have to pick thru browned pieces of lettuce to find pieces that look fresh. I also expect to have all salad dressings labelled on the bottle, so if someone puts a bottle of non-vegan dressing back into the wrong slot, I won't accidentally consume dairy. Unfortunately, this salad bar which is expensive even by Maui standards (Whole Foods, Manna in Paia, and Hawaiian Moons in Kihei are all more than a dollar less expensive), doesn't meet the above criteria.

This being said, a vegan CAN get a nice delicious meal here, both in the cold foods and hot foods section, however, there are far fewer vegan options than both Down to Earth Deli Cafe's I visited on Oahu. I'm lucky if 50% of the hot food items are vegan on a given day, whereas in Oahu, it was usually 75 to 80% vegan. Some of the vegan options I've enjoyed at this salad bar are curried chickpeas (cold section), curried vegetables with a phyllo dough topping (hot section), and "chicken" flavored tofu pieces.

Also, one can't go all the way around the cold food and hot food stations of the salad bar, which makes for a congested traffic pattern at peak times. I still enjoy eating here, but not as much as at Down to Earth in Oahu, and I certainly don't think I'm getting a bargain. Fortunately, unlike Manna in Paia, there is seating for the salad bar, both upstairs and outside.

Pros: Delicious Vegan Options, Ample Seating

Cons: Expensive even by Maui standards, Not all organic, Fewer vegan options than D2E, Oahu

very good, close to ogg, inexpensive - Edit

We made this our first stop being that it is a block or so from the airport and after a day of travel to paradise we wanted to wait no longer. They had some great vegan items on the bar, a tofu, a seitan, salads, beans, taters, rice, etc, some typical hot bar stuff and some not. The cold case has some great raw options (rawptions?) including a coconut almond deal. I thought the price was very good especially when factoring how the cost of everything is a bit more on the island. We ate in the car, but upon returning immediately to grab more for the room my sweetie saw the seating area which I missed through my bleary eyes.
Highly suggested.

Pros: good food period, not expensive, location

couldn't eat dinner here - Edit

Wanted to eat dinner here since we were visiting and had no house to take the food back to, but there weren't any tables or chairs. Had to get a few bites from the salad bar just to try it and that tasted good, but had to go to a real restaurant for dinner. The market is awesome though! Tons of vegetarian/vegan food to stock up on.

great market and deli - Edit

On our recent trip to Maui, the Down to Earth Deli Cafe was a godsend for us. After getting off the plane we were starving... As the market is close to the airport, we were able to stop by for some lunch on our way out to West Maui. The food was delicious! Throughout our stay on the island, we made numerous stops by the market whenever we could. As there were fewer vegetarian options on Maui than w're used to, the Down to Earth Cafe was a real lifesaver.

lifesaver - Edit

We stocked up on both deli items and groceries during our stay in Maui in April. The hot and cold deli items that we tried were all delicious. The staff at Down to Earth were all really friendly. We had rented a condo and didn't think we'd be able to find enough vegan friendly grocery stores to cook some meals until we came across this place, it's great!

Pros: staff, price, selection

Down to Earth Store and Restaurant - Edit

We went to this place more than once to have lunch from their pay by weight cold and hot buffets - what a treat compared to the overpriced typical Maui restaurants. Also liked their bulk food section.Will definitely go again when I'm in Maui.

Hawaiian Happiness - Edit

we just returned from our vacation in Maui. we tried to find several of the Veg restaurants listed on Happy Cow and failed. However, the Down To Earth Deli was easy to find and delicious. I had the rainbow sandwich... a concoction of vegetables on a vegan roll. My meat eater husband had a veggie burger which was very good too. We had a terrific meal and enjoyed browsing the aisles while waiting for our meals.

Pros: Great Food, Many choices, Easy to find

Cons: Hours, cafe is not in the best condition, a bit pricey

Great Health Food Store! - Edit

It's vegetarian and has great vegan options. Lots of tofu dishes, mashed potatoes, pasta and sandwiches with great local avocado and veggies. Try the mock chicken! Excellent!

Pros: Great Variety, Good Prices

Yum! - Edit

It was so nice to be able to get a hot, vegan meal just a few minutes from our hostel in Wailuku. Their hot bar had lots of vegan stuff to choose from. However, their deli and desserts were far less vegan-friendly than the Down to Earth that I had been to in Oahu.

Pros: Fast, Convenient

Cons: Deli could be more vegan

Yummy sandwiches! - Edit

Found this place by accident when looking for somewhere to buy sandwiches to bring with us on the road to Hana. My sandwich was awesome, and my 2 omni friends loved theirs too! We picked up some other provisions there as well. The staff was really friendly and helpful and their food was great. Too bad I didn't know about it before going to the Safeway in Kihei (where we stayed)!

Pros: great food, friendly staff, lots of choices

Cons: some things a little pricey

Return to Kahului Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Down to Earth Deli Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2066 times since Aug 2007.