Down to Earth - Deli Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 808-947-7678

2525 S King St (at Oahu), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 95826

Inside the natural food grocery market is a deli and juice counter, and also a hot food and salad bar - pay for food by weight. Vegan baked goods available. Dairy is used in some food but no eggs. The store part is open til 10pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by cvxmelody

Good Variety and Nice Food - Edit

Health Food store with nice salad bar and hot entrée food bar. These selections are plentiful and yummy. Their are are good selection of vegan options within the mix. The prices are reasonable, the store is inviting and the staff are friendly.

Pros: Good selection and well priced, Nice environment and pleasant staff, Easy access

I love this chain - Edit

It's not cheap, but it is high quality. It is simply my favorite place to shop for special groceries, and to get a meal in the buffet/bakery. There are so many vegan and gluten free options, so I know I can always go there and get a lunch or dinner that tastes so good, and also won't make me sick. The pizza is my favorite. They have ripe tropical fruit, and also every option you could possibly imagine for baking and even vegan junk food.

Pros: Huge selection and variety for baking, Vegan toiletries, Buffet/bakery and outdoor seating

Cons: Pricey

Great use of small space - Edit

The space may be compact but Down to Earth's Cafe has much to offer vegetarians and great vegan offerings. The hot bar has about a dozen offerings and several are always vegan, including variations on tofu. Good vegetables in both the hot bar and the excellent salad bar. And, the variety of vegan baked goods is stunning, including several kinds of cheesecake, apple pie, cookies (even carob), and others. There are also several soups available. At the cafe counter, there are a good variety of sandwiches and other dishes, including a great veg hot dog. The counter also offers excellent smoothies and a good variety of juices and coffee/tea drinks. The store also has sandwiches and other dishes ready for carry-out. There are a few outdoor tables and a small dining area upstairs. This is an excellent option for vegetarians/vegans and is well-located not far from the University of Hawaii-Manoa campus.

Pros: Very good hot bar, Excellent salad bar, Amazing vegan baked goods

Cons: Seating can be difficult when busy, Can be very crowded

Amazing. Highly Recommend - Edit

We are vegetarians (no poultry but dairy allowed). Down to Earth is the best place. We will come here for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the rest of our stay in Waikiki

Pros: Huge Selection, Low Prices

Vegan heaven - Edit

I sound like the character Stefon from SNL, but, this place has everything.

Seriously amazed at the selection at this all Vegetarian Natural foods store and café. Most of the food available is vegan and it's all labeled. So many vegan baked goods too, which I always find is the hardest to find while travelling, especially in Honolulu. I don't know if it's always like this, but also all the soups in their buffet were vegan and they also have vegan cornbread!

Needless to say, I'm very impressed with this place and I will definitely frequent it.

Bonus:they have outdoor seating and free parking

Pros: great selection: huge vegan selection, super friendly staff, free parking at rear

Cons: I wish it were closer to where I stay :P

Amazing - Edit

This place is seriously a vegans dream come true! Friendly service with amazing selection. They have a full vegetarian buffet style deli where you can scoop your own meals or order from their counter. Also has baked goods which they mark vegan if they are vegan. Full freezer, cruelty-free beauty, cereal, baking products, everything!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Delicious

Cons: Serves milk and eggs

Fresh food - Edit

Each day provided a discount of some sort. The menu was extensive with smoothies, vegetarian sandwiches/wraps, soups, acai berry items and the buffet offered tofu dishes and salad toppings. The options were endless. Parking was ample, and hours were sufficient for breakfast through dinner.

Pros: Variety, Value, Outdoor seating

All veg deli/grocery, AMAZING! - Edit

I had two soups from the Deli's salad bar this morning and two muffins. Broccoli Cashew and Split Pea, both were hands down some of the best soup I've ever had and oil-free. most of the stuff in the deli has oil, but there are oil-free rices/steamed veggies. Also, there summer roll I think it was called, was really good, too. Its rice noodles in a rice wrap with sprouts, veggies, and sauce.

Pros: a few oil-free options, soups, sandwiches

Down to Earth is up there - Edit

This place was our savior in Honolulu which is not the most vegan-friendly city. Once we discovered Down to Earth on our short holiday, we caught the bus out to King St everyday for lunch and stocked up on food to cook at our hotel for dinner. Lovely staff and outdoor tables to eat lunch. I'm only giving this place four stars as the hot food and baked goods were not as delicious as other places in the US, but it the best we found in Honolulu.

Good but certainly not 5 star - Edit

We went here with high expectations, based on the happycow reviews. We'd been in transit for 24hrs and were really tired and hungry... stumbled in, searching for great food and what we found was pretty average, all things considered.

The breads and cakes are all packed full of sugar, white flour, butter, strange ingredients like "egg replacer", and very little else. Even the things that looked wholesome on the surface were found to be junk upon closer inspection.

The deli bar consisted of some random veges, but how you are to eat them was a mystery to us. There were also some heavy looking macaronis and miscelleneous slushes, but they looked overcooked, heavy, sometimes greasy and overall not very good or healthy. The pizzas looked like a $1 midnight mistake.

A vege sandwich or wrap would have been just perfect, but unfortunately this was not available so we had to pick some wraps from the menu (which unfortunately is not customisable). We went with an avocado and a tofu wrap, neither of which contained many vegetables, so essentially we were unable to get the feed we were after.

The juices were pretty good and fully customisable which was probably the best thing about the place. We liked the fact that they had acai available too (although we had to ask them not to put in the pre-made apple strawberry juice concentrate they usually use as a base). If we were to go back, it would be for the juices and nothing more.

The lady at the deli counter seemed to be struggling with English so ordering and customising was difficult (or maybe it's just my Australian accent? haha) They have an eat-in area upstairs, which has a vibe that is somewhere between a McDonald's restaurant and a dissheveled country US canteen. We hastily moved outside, which is more comfortable.

So our first day in Hawaii was decidedly lukewarm.

Update: After a week on the island the appeal of this place began to manifest to us. In fact we ended up here every day, sometimes more than once. The quality & quantity of veg food in Hawaii is really low and the concept of health doesn't seem to have made it there yet. Against this context, DTE becomes a godsend.

We never got around to trying the raw vege buffet (those prepared sauces in ketchup squirters never grew on us), the pizza (pizza really needs to be fresh), or those overcooked slushes, we did enjoy the energy cookies, bird bars and some of the cold dishes like the rice paper wraps, tofu nori rolls and greek salad. Probably 3.5 cows.

Pros: custom juices, grocery store

Cons: not a great selection, unhealthy food, service is below standard

A good find - Edit

It's terrific to find an all-vegetarian store. In light of that, the bulk breakfast cereal selection was very disappointing: nothing different than I've found in numerous stores elsewhere, down to the same granola and muesli mixes, so they clearly have the same supplier. I haven't seen coconut or hemp milk before; presumably these don't make it onto the shelves of more mainstream stores. The food bar is indeed very good, and warrants the rating.

Pros: unusual products, good food bar, nice vibe

Cons: variety less than expected, pricey

Go-to for veggies - Edit

This is our favorite grocery on Oahu. The food bar is consistantly well stocked with great hot foods and the salad bar has extensive selections. Prices are reasonable, but it's easy to over-do it because it looks and smells so good. Vegan selections are clearly labeled and ingredients are listed for all prepared foods, including the baked goods. They even have vegan pizza!

Pros: great food, clearly labeled with ingredients, good selection/prices

Cons: parking (town), cafeteria atmosphere

I Love This Market. - Edit

Before I even got to this place all of my friends were talking about how great it is for vegetarians. Everything was good from the warm buffet to the salad bar. They have an amazing selection of Lara Bars, tea drinks, chips, hummus, yogurt. Everything you like packed into a cute little store. Top notch.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Nothing

Awesome selection - Edit

This is one of the best vegetarian grocery stores I have ever seen. You can get almost anything here from sprouted bread to raw cacao nibs (the only thing i could not find is seaweed). Their selection on food supplements and homeopatic medicine is awesome. You can get some oke takeaway from the hot buffet and have it at the outside seating area. Take bus no 4 or A from Waikiki to get there (if you keep your ticket you can use it to go back).

Pros: selection

Cons: no asian food

Gobsmacking vego supermarket & hot buffet - Edit

I had been looking to buy avocadoes during my vacation in Honolulu but the prices were steep in Waikiki where, like most visitors, I was staying. Avocadoes are one of the essential vegetarian powerfoods, full of healthy fats and vitamins. Fortunately, they happen to be very cheap at Down to Earth making it the perfect place to stock up on this essential food.
Besides which they have a VERY extensive range of vegetarian supplies/groceries - anything vego-related you can probably find it here. I only bought avocadoes so can't comment on their prices for other stuff but I'm sure they are reasonable for things you definitely wouldn't find anyplace else.

Not only is "Down to Earth" a vegetarian supermarket, their other attraction is a great salad bar and hot buffet. Most selections are charged by weight (but at the same fixed rate) so you can heap them onto a single plate. Some things are priced individually. Look at my photos to get a sense of their offerings.

Some hot dishes contain dairy, but there are always some vegan items that are clearly marked as such.

They have upstairs (indoor) seating, or use the tables outside.

Across the road is the "Well Bento" (another listing on happycow), that does excellent vegan Japanese take-out.

Bus #4 from Waikiki will get you here.

* PHOTOS:
i.imagehost.org/0581/IMG_0079.jpg (salad bar & buffet)
i.imagehost.org/0174/IMG_0099.jpg (shop sign)
i.imagehost.org/0084/IMG_0100.jpg (plate of food)
i.imagehost.org/0977/IMG_0101.jpg (soup/stew)

Return to Honolulu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Down to Earth - Deli Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5573 times since Feb 2009.