Vegan-friendly
Beer/Wine
Delivery
Take-out
British

Fast food eatery est. 2017. Serves vegetarian and vegan junk food, ranging from deep fried veggies and cauliflower 5 ways to setian burgers and loaded fries, hot dogs and sweets like chocolate sundae and vegan apple pie. Roast on Sunday. Bar opens til late. Kitchen reported to close earlier than stated times, check ahead. NOTE: no wheelchair access. Open Tue-Thu 15:00-21:30, Fri-Sat 12:00-22:00, Sun 13:00-22:00.

Venue map for Down the Hatch
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by FilipaPereira

LauraHelsby

Points +286

25 Feb 2024

THE DESSERTS!?

Okay, so everything was lovely here, Buffalo cauli wings? Top notch. Burger, curry? Lovely.
But the desserts ???
Insane. The best dessert I have ever had hands down.
Go get one, go now

(Also the staff are the most lovely people)

Pros: Cookie dough !!!!, Lovely staff , Great menu

Cons: A little pricey but hey

stulave

Points +866

10 Feb 2024

So much choice! So yummy!

This place lives up to its great reviews. The are plenty of options on the menu. Great staff. Everything we had was delicious. Will definitely eat here again.

JoeKWorrall

Points +18

20 Jan 2024

Top notch!

Love this place. Great food, great venue and well priced!

LesleyDargie-walker

Points +164

16 Dec 2023

Very good! Need to try more!

I don't often visit Liverpool and I really wanted to try this place. I was feeling a little under the weather so just got a small plate and cake but they were both very very good!
I'd make the trip back to try more!

AlfieRC

Points +160

16 Dec 2023

down the hatch it went

we had absolutely delicious burgers at down the hatch last night. there was a great selection of food and everything was vegan by default. the staff were lovely and the atmosphere was charming. it's currently not wheelchair accessible, although I believe this is temporary. the food came quickly and the portion sizes were really generous - we ended up taking our sides home for a midnight snack.

Pros: great cocktail selection, generous portion sizes

Cons: not great beer selection

KimNegri

Points +94

21 Nov 2023

Mrs Kim Negri

Excellent venue and fantastic food and drinks with fabulous service

Pros: Food , Drinks , Service

Cons: No

Hattiebluebell🌱

Points +861

20 Nov 2023

Totally vegan with veggie options

Wow
Really friendly helpful team, happy to explain menu. All was vegan but if you didn’t want vegan cheese you could have regular cheeses. We had cocktails to start- both were fabulous, then followed with 3 tapas starters. Garlic mushrooms with pita bread, dirty Patatas bravas with sausage & Seitan wings with jäger sauce. All great flavours & served with salad and beetroot slaw. We had a burger royale & moussaka for mains- both delicious. Finally had a Winter C Rum Ble as a cocktail dessert- pear liqueur , cinnamon, vegan cream, digestives - 🌟🌟🌟

angcat

Points +195

18 Oct 2023

Disappointed

Having wanted to visit for a long time, I visited for a much anticipated Sunday lunch.
Unfortunately, the service was really below par and the food was average at best. The cauliflower in the cauliflower cheese was black and tasted burnt, the kale was tough and the cookie dough didn't materialize before I had to leave. I was there three hours and they only managed to eventually serve one course during that time.
Very disappointed, especially as I'd made over a hundred mile round trip to eat there.
If I'm in Liverpool again, I'll give them another try in a much smaller group, as they don't seem able to cope with large group bookings but I certainly won't make a special trip just to go there again, sadly.

Pros: It's vegan

Cons: Wait time, Service , Food

LorraineClough

Points +86

07 Oct 2023

Great Selection!

We enjoyed a few of the burgers and some sides. The vegan creamy mash was amazing! Feels so rare to get vegan mash on a menu! Katsu burger was also tasty! Messy to eat, but highly enjoyable!

matthuwu

Points +36

01 Oct 2023

Always a great experience

I love the vegan mac and cheese. Mac and cheese was always my comfort food before I became fully vegan and I always crave it. Down the hatch have been a blessing with their wonderful vegan mac and cheese. My cravings are now satisfied.
Their other food is also great. Fries are always a solid 5/5 for me.
My go-to place for eating out with friends.

AnnaGolmen

Points +80

27 Sep 2023

😋

dth burgers always hits the spot (especially the mac n cheese one), not the best fries but with the jäger glaze on the side it’s absolutely banging 🤤 love the refill soft drinks for 2.50 as well

Pros: nice staff, cheap refill (soft) drinks

Nooch-Queen

Points +137

17 Sep 2023

OMG 😱 if you want dirty vegan food get here!

I’ve been to down the hatch a fair few times for drinks but have never eaten here. Damn wth was I thinking? I’m vegan heaven!! Jo is always friendly as soon as she sees me nothing is too much as are all the staff. One even looks like Joey carbstrong win win.

Pros: Friendly helpful staff, Amazing food , Gorgeous cocktails

RichardDean

Points +52

14 Sep 2023

Vegan junk food with plenty of choice

Good variety of options to get your vegan junk food fix. Portion size is good and pretty good value for money.

Pros: Choice, Taste, Portion size

Cons: Sometimes service could be a little better

LoisCrowder

Points +158

13 Aug 2023

Amazing starter basic burger main

Had am amazing starter but the burger main was a bit of a let down. Had really high hopes for a veggie place but I felt it was quite basic and could get in a mainstream restaurant

MollyManriquez

Points +1648

01 Aug 2023

So good

This place was so trendy and neat. They specialize in junk food and have a decent variety. Some items can be made with real cheese so be mindful when ordering. The portions were large and the food was flavorful.

itsholls

Points +47

23 Jul 2023

Need to go back!

Went for the 2-4-1 burger deal, an amazing burger but not the best I’ve had. Would love to go back to try the other options as they looked amazing! I also love the atmosphere of the place and the staff were lovely.

LaurenClaire

Points +228

13 Jul 2023

Lovely vibe, amazing food

Super cool basement vibes with an impressive menu of creative burgers and home cooked meals like mac & cheese and curries.

Pros: Friendly staff, Biscoff Cake, Nice atmosphere

shoeysarah

Points +158

Vegetarian
24 Jun 2023

Great options but I chose badly!

Lovely atmosphere and looks much nicer inside than out.
Super friendly staff.
Great choices and all vegan.
I had the Shepherds Pie with veg. The mash was nice but the mince was wishy washy and lacked flavour and some of the broccoli was hard. My friends had burgers and all loved them. I finished their chips which were great.
I'd love to see the burgers have bean or mushroom options too.
I'm really not a fan of menus/restaurants which are 100% vegan but the meal descriptions say chicken. If it's not chicken, don't pretend it is. I don't want to eat chicken so call it what it is, not what it's pretending to be.

Pros: Great choice, Great atmosphere

Cons: My meal lacked flavour, Menu stating chicken when it's vegan

MissGreenwood

Points +483

15 Jun 2023

Great place to meet friends

Thanks for the awesome food, atmosphere and service. We were absolutely stuffed and we loved the happy feel Latino type music. Great vibes. If you’re vegan just know that the whole menu is vegan but they offer to vegetarianise some of the dishes. Good generous portions.

Pros: All vegan food available , Lots of choice, Big booths to sit in

KirstyElizabeth89

Points +266

13 Jun 2023

Delicious burgers

Incredible creative burgers. Reasonable prices.
Would highly recommend the salt and pepper fella burger.

megangould

Points +45

06 Jun 2023

2 words = Shepherd’s Pie

First, it’s so rare that we can pick ANYTHING off of a menu to eat. Our family of 4 all found VERY delicious meals. I hated that I got stuffed too soon because it was so good! Even though we’re traveling, I’ve been carrying my leftovers. So, yeah, yum!!

RhysWebster

Points +247

22 May 2023

Full Marks

Was my first time having a vegan roast and it was great. Also comes with a cookie dough desert included in the price (although we ended up sharing one between two of us). A really nice spot as well with friendly staff. Faultless

Pros: Great food, Great vibe, Friendly staff

charandjosh

Points +1215

22 May 2023

Great options

We ordered all of the small dishes as well as the donner loaded fries and the frickles. This was enough to share between three people. It was all very tasty, especially the garlic mushrooms. The tzatziki on the donner loaded fries was excellent. Cute little restaurant and friendly staff.

V-gan

Points +669

14 May 2023

Best loaded fries I’ve ever had

We came here as we’d seen a special EuroVegan menu advertised and weren’t disappointed!
One of our party, who is a meat-eater had the Shepherd’s Pie and said it was the best one she had ever had.
I had the Zinger Burger with Bavarian fries and those were the best topped / loaded fries I’ve ever had. The cheese, fried onions and pickles (gherkins and sauerkraut) were such a good mixture and the vegan sausage was yummy!
Will definitely be back - especially as they are also prepared to plate up your WuTan Scran!

Pros: Tasty food, Good portions, Super friendly and laid back staff

richandsarah

Points +1460

13 May 2023

Nice quick food

Cute little restaurant in a tunnel under the main building. Ordered all the small plates as a tapas style meal. Loaded fries and frickles. All tasted really good. Corn ribs were very sweet.
The “fiery” sauce wasn’t hot enough for me.

Pros: Cute location , Quick service , Decent sized portions

Cons: Some sauces are very sweet

Jcj3ssi3

Points +1196

Vegetarian
28 Mar 2023

P good

Had the cauliflower wings with jager sauce which was too sweet imo. Also had the salt and pepper chicken and the zinger. Both were pretty good but zinger was a bit dry, extra spicy wasn’t spicy either. For the vegetarians the Camembert was very good and the sauce surprisingly paired well.

Bubbard

Points +874

20 Mar 2023

vegan Sunday roast!

A tasty alternative that even meat eaters would enjoy!

Pros: Lots on the plate, Friendly staff and environment

Cons: A little pricey at £15