Dosa Plaza

Contact 94848444

4 Plenty Rd, Preston, Victoria, 3072

Fast food franchise serving Indian dosas and other vegetarian food. Some vegan and Jain options, which are marked on the menu. Dine-in orders made by recording menu numbers on an order slip. Typical fast food decor and limited accessibility. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Italian, Fast food, Take-out, Indo-Chinese

First Review by Tiggy

brilliant! - Edit

if you'd told me that one day i would have a mexican dosa for dinner, i'd have laughed at you
but i did, and it was ace
really nice people, very bright utilitarian space, rather too long menu, great food at cheap prices
their sev puri were good, but not the best, needing a bit more tamarind
the mexican paneer dosa was ace, with a great sambal on the side
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 01, 2015

Pros: different, cheap

Dodgy Plaza - Edit

Dosa Plaza have multiple items listed on their menu as vegan that contain dairy; have to wonder what else is going on behind the kitchen door.

2 Responses

verbosity Thank you for your reply. I have been to Dosa Plaza (different location) twice and have found the menu system combined with the staff knowledge to be far too concerning and conflicting re: veganism. Other people have had the same experience and commented about it online.
Perhaps if you adopted a more standard form of dietary coding, things would be different?

ie:
(V) vegetarian
(VO) vegetarian option (ideally stating the variation/addition/omission)

(VG) vegan
(VGO) vegan option (ideally stating the variation/addition/omission)
-------------------------------------

Listing items as vegan, (when they are not) confuses people as to what is vegan and what is not, greatly increases the risk of staff error and leads many to simply not trust your menu and capabilities.

Amazingly, spectacularly bad service. - Edit

If you're vegan or Jain don't eat here.

If you're vegetarian, are happy to do all the serving yourself and don't mind eating something other than what you ordered, by all means, eat here.

If your jain or vegan principles are important to you, or you are allergic or adverse to dairy, onion or garlic these guys are going to ruin your night. Pretty much without fail.

I've dined here frequently - about once per fortnight - since it opened. I tried. I really did. It's five minutes walk from my house. It's cheap. It's pretty tasty.

So this is not a bitter one-bad-time review. Rather, this a somewhat incredulous catalogue of failure in the basic and time-honoured traditions of delivering your customers their ordered food and making their dining experience pleasant. And respecting the fact they're vegan or jain.

The staff suck. They *really* suck. They are so totally incompetent it'd be funny if the punchline wasn't that I was a cheese-eating vegan.

If I was at a non-vegan or non-jain restaurant and this happened once I'd understand it, but restaurant advertises being vegan and jain friendly, with those options on the menu. The staff don't know what vegan or jain mean. They really don't seem to know anything. Except to be polite.

I have summarised the list of things have happened to me, most several times. You can print it in a grid and play Dosa Plaza Bingo.

The staff will:
(a) be polite, yet miserable
(b) somehow give you a buttered, cheesed and yogurted vegan meal
(c) somehow include onion in your jain meal
(d) deliver your entrée last
(e) deliver your main first
(f) lose your rice
(g) deliver water carafe and no glasses
(h) deliver glasses with no water carafe
(i) set plates dripping with hot water from the dishwasher
(j) set cutlery without menus
(k) set menus without cutlery
(l) bill you for the meal they ruined AND the replacement
(m) bill you for the meals you cancelled because they messed up your order twice
(n) come out and ask you three times if you're sure you want the vegan option and then still hit you with (b)
(o) argue that your butter is not vegan but that your meal still is even though it has butter on it. Politely.
(p) argue that a meal on the jain menu and suggested to you by them as a good jain option is not actually jain when you've eaten half of it and found onion in it. Politely.
(q) apparently hide cutlery, glasses, pencils, order forms, etc

Me, I've had enough.

Enter at own risk.

Good luck and bon appetite.

Pros: Cheap., Tasty.

Cons: Will cheese your vegan. , Will garlic your jain., Will screw up the bill.

Veggie Delight - Edit

Dosa Plaza - Preston is a bit of a Melbourne classic, but what we love the best about it is how easy it makes dining out if you have any dietary requirements. The staff are so knowledgeable, the menu is clearly coded, and there are a HEAP of options for anyone with a dietary limitation. This makes it super easy to eat out, and for the usual-carnivores out there, don't worry, you won't go away feeling empty!!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Food, Nice Ambicance

Cons: large Portions

Cheap vegan food in Preston... - Edit

I was surprised to come across a listing for this place while checking the internet for new places with vegan food. I was a bit wary it was fast food but the menu was pretty extensive so my partner and I went along to try it. It was much as we expected: uniform white formica tables and bright lights. There is table service and staff were very friendly and attentive to us, double-checking we wanted everything vegan. It took us some time to work our way through the menu and decide what to put down on our order form. The samosas here were better than many I'd had before: spicy with the potato not mushy or falling apart. The aloo mutter (spiced potato and pea dish) was OK but not fantastically tasty. Most disappointing was the veg manchurian gravy main, which had very little flavour at all. The prices are low, around $10 for a main and servings of rice are generous. So far I've found this to be of a pretty low standard, perhaps what you'd expect from fast food. However, the menu is vast though, so I will come back and hope to be pleasantly surprised, especially since I haven't even tried a dosa dish yet.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly service, Extensive menu with vegan options marked

Cons: Food average

Return to Preston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dosa Plaza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1485 times since Jan 2015.