Dosa Plaza - Metro Centre

Contact 309-1111

291 Queen Street, Auckland, New Zealand, 1010

Vegetarian Indian fast food which you can eat in or take away. Choose from a range of vegan dishes or ones that can be made vegan. This location is on Auckland's main street in the food court of the Metro Centre. IMAX Theater in mall with free Wi-fi. Mon-Sun 9:00am-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Indian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Lea

Big selection - Edit

I wasn't overly impressed with this place, but I think that was due to a bad choice on my part, the menu seems clear but I didn't really get what I expected. The dosa itself was amazing and definitely big enough but I had chilli paneer with it and I'd say it was more of a Chinese taste to it than Indian, can't say I was impressed by the fusion of those two particular cusines. But I would probably go back to try again as the dosa really was good, but hopefully I'll get an Indian tasting filling for my dosa next time! ☺

Pros: Inexpensive, Central

Cons: Odd flavours

ok but be careful if you're vegan - Edit

The gentleman that helped me didn't know what vegan was. I told him I was avoiding dairy and eggs but he still put a mint yogurt sauce in the bag with my food. He meant well but it was annoying. Dosa was pretty good.

So much yum! - Edit

I feel like the people who complained about the setting aren't familiar with food courts, because it;s exactly what you would expect/want from a food court situation.
The service was good, quick, and friendly.
The food was so delicious I can't wait to go back and try more. Admittedly it was borderline too spicy for my English palate! but it was worth the mild burn. Absolutely recommend, especially because the staff are so helpful

Pros: Quick and Easy, All vegetarian (makes it easier) , Helpful staff

Cons: Slightly too spicy

If everything's closed then good choice - Edit

Well, it wasn't so bad.
The venue is as far away from cosy as possible, like you were eating in a shopping mall basically, but just were Dosa is located within the food court there is a dead end so you have a somewhat hiding space.
On the face of it Dosa Plaza doesn't look very inviting, their advertising seems a bit rundown, actually I haven't noticed it the first few times I was there; looking for something vegetarian to eat I simply overlooked it.
Nonetheless, once found the food was quite fair. Good taste, fair servings, decent price, friendly staff.
I'll had to wait for about ten minutes though, both time I ate there.
Once you know where it is you have a centrally located option for something to eat which has pretty customer-friendly opening times. Note though, waiting time and eating time more or less balance each other, something I consider to be unusual for a food court, therefore arrange enough time, unless you order for take away.

Pros: good value

Cons: food court, waiting times

Quick and Convenient! - Edit

Dosa Plaza is one of the few easy vegan options in the CBD. They do quick, cheap meals and, althougn not 100% vegan, they can advise. The masala dosa is great value at $10 and massive! Great place for a quick lunch or dinner if you are in town.

Pros: Great Value, Vegan Options

Cons: Food Court Setting

Saved from starvation by delicious dosa - Edit

Ok, so if you are a vegan or vegetarian who likes eating out, summer is not the best time to visit Auckland. Most of the veg restaurants were closed for the duration (and mostly without informing people of this on their websites, grrrr!) Fortunately, Dosa Plaza rarely closes. After frustrated attempts to visit 3 other restaurants on my carefully researched itinerary, we found Dosa Plaza hidden away in a subterranean food court behind a cinema complex.

Before coming here, I had only tried Masala Dosa (potato), and had no idea there were so many possible variations. Dosa Plaza has more than 100 different dosa choices! Many of them contain cheese, but the helpful chap behind the counter went through the menu and ticked all the vegan ones for us. On his recommendation, we chose the Mysore mushroom dosa. It was fab. I forget the name of the other dish we had, which was even better. I think it started with 'u'. It was like big round pizza base made of cooked rice all smoolched together. The veggies were embedded in it rather than on top. It was pan fried and a bit oily and crispy. OMG! Yumm!

The food was freshly cooked to order, and took longer than expected for a food court, about 10 minutes. Not sure how they must cope in the lunch hour rush. It may have been because they were veganising it for us.

Lucky for us the 'proper' restaurants were all closed or we probably would not have wandered into this culturally barren looking food court and found this fabulous feast.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 07, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 07, 2014

Pros: Great food and friendly service, Lots of vegan choices, Food was freshly cooked

Cons: Longish wait for a food court

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dosa Plaza - Metro Centre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3427 times since Mar 2012.