First Review by Yashodhara

way too salty, long wait - Edit

One star restaurant -- two out of the three dishes we ordered were impossible to eat due to the extreme salt levels! the roti bread was subpar. expected so much more, as we love Indian food but instead waited thirty minutes for bad food.

Pros: Good location

Cons: Wait was too long despite restaurant not being bus, Food was way too salty, Expensive for what it is

Truly amazed! Excellent food and service. - Edit

Food was a big question in my mind when I was travelling to Bangkok, being born in India into a pure vegetarian family, I've never eaten anything animal based. It was a true blessing to find Dosa King, 100% Vegetarian. Holding true to Indian background, they don't even sell alcohol. I stayed in Bangkok for 12 days and had food at Dosa King about 8 times!
I recommend the North Food, Garlic Naan, Paneer Chilli. They also have a large variety of Vegan options.

Good place, would love to be back.

Pros: extensive menu Punjabi and south, Affordable pricing, Clean, Hygenic

Cons: Only one branch, not open in late hours

tasty foods, nice and clean restaurant, fast service - Edit

I loved that all the vegan options were clearly marked and that they had a really nice picture of every dish.
The restaurant looked almost a bit fancy and was very nice and clean.
The food was tasty and really yummy. I paid 40 baht for an appetizer (the crispy bread with tomatoes, chili and onions and some lime juice), 150 for kidney beans with spices in a kind of tomato sauce that was delicious and 95 baht for the basmati rice. I'd call it a bit pricey but since the restaurant is nice and the food is good it's reasonable.
The service wasn't the nicest but they did a good job.
They had Wi-Fi for one hour.
I might go again but there's so many Indian vegetarian restaurants that I might also try out another one.

Lots of vegan options and open late - Edit

Dosa King offers many clearly-marked vegan options and is open until 11PM every night. I tried the baingan bharta and a couple of dosas and enjoyed the food. It's a bit expensive relative to other options available in Bangkok but is still fairly cheap for those traveling from Canada, US, or Europe (~$4-5/meal).

Pros: Open late, Vegan-friendly, Friendly staff

Good, tasty Indian food - Edit

Firstly, this place isn't nearly as bad as some of the comments make out. Well, not in my experience anyway.

I'd recommend the potatoes cooked in tomatoes, cumin and onions. Vegan and really tasty. Ordered medium spice last time and it nearly blew my head off, so will go for mild next time. I don't exactly have a good spice threshold though, so bear that in mind.

Easy place to get to, with entrances on both Soi 11 and 11/1. Fairly cheap, not by Bangkok standards, but way cheaper than anything back in England would be for me.

Overall I'd recommend this place if you're within 3/4 BTS stops away, but I wouldn't say you should go out of your way for it.

Pros: Tasty curries, Excellent breads, Good location

Cons: Quite a long waiting time for food

not bad, not great - Edit

went 2 times to try out different dishes, first time I had nice food, but found it kind of overpriced considering the price of a meal in Bangkok, and the quality of the food.
second time I went I was completely dissapointed, with the service, and with the dishes I ordered this time, never went back...

Pros: open all day, open till late

Cons: not great food, overpriced

Dosa no good for place called "Dosa King" - Edit

For a place called "Dosa King" I expect to be wowed by the dosas. I ordered two plain dosas which came with a couple of chutneys and sambar. The dosas were small and a bit too thick. The sambar was good but the coconut chutney was a joke. I'm of South Indian background so I know how this stuff should taste.

Cons: expensive

Meh - Edit

We ate here on a recent trip due to its proximity to our hotel. We were happy to see the clearly-marked vegan options on the menu. Unfortunately the food was just OK. Given the name of the restaurant I suppose we would have been better off trying the dosas. The dishes we did try were incredibly bland. We asked for them spicy and they came out the least spicy of any Indian dish I've ever had. In fact they were almost entirely devoid of any spices at all. We mostly tasted tomato sauce. This was disappointing since we paid quite a bit by Bangkok standards. Given that there were a lot of other veg Indian restaurants nearby, I'd have to recommend trying one of those first.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: pricey, bland

Tasty Indian dishes in the heart of Bangkok - Edit

Conveniently located near a BTS (Nana Station). No parking, I would say. When I eat there, I park at Villa Supermarket building and buy some grocery to get free parking.
Worth a try.

Pros: Easy to get to

Cons: A bit pricey, No parking

Good Dosa a little Stingy on inner fillings - Edit

Best dosa I've tasted in Bangkok, OK you might need two if you have a big appetite but the other food is good too, if your a backpacker on a budget treat yourself, if your on a proper holiday make this a regular spot if you like Vege Indian food from both north and south

mediocre - Edit

For a place named after the dosa, I expected my masala dosa to be bigger, better and crispier. Expensive for what it is, and I resented the mandatory 10% service charge (always wonder if the money goes to staff or management). Big plus is that vegan items are clearly marked on the menu.

Pros: vegan items indicated on menu

Cons: pricey by Bangkok standards

Good food, a bit expensive - Edit

We have visited Dosa King a few times as a treat. The food is good and fresh and we enjoy the big selection on the menu. We have gone with friends to introduce them to this cuisine and they enjoyed the food very much.

Cons - The atmosphere feels like a "real" restaurant but the staff seems stressed out and are not friendly - very efficient and they appear to be micro managed and worried about their superiors' eyes on them. As a diner, that isn't a pleasant thing to notice. Also, it is overpriced - a dosa shoildn't be so expensive. It's just lentil flour and some onions and potatoes!

Pros: Good food, Quick service, Nice environment

Cons: Stressed out, unfriendly staff, Overpriced

Vegan-friendly dosas and curry -yummy! - Edit

We were going to go to another veggie Indian place but were recommended Dosa King by someone at our hotel so thought we'd give it a go - if we'd read some of the other reviews here we probably wouldn't have gone, but we enjoyed it.
The menu is all vegetarian with vegan items marked clearly.
We had a Mangalore Dosa, regular dosa and a side of dahl. All the dishes had good flavour and the dosa pancakes were crispy. We also had fresh pineapple and watermelon drinks which worked well with the food.
I can see what others are saying about atmosphere - this is more a cafe / diner than a restaurant. Also value in terms of portion size. We were full without a starter or dessert, but did have a side as well as our mains. The whole meal cost about 700 baht for 2 people, which isn't cheap for Bangkok but not extortionate either.
It'd be great to have some music on in the background, slightly more enthusiastic service (though there were no problems) and a vegan mango lassi would perfect it for me!

Pros: Dosas, Flavou, Easy to find

Cons: vegan lassi please!

Decent restaurant with vegan options - Edit

The food here is decent, but isn't as good as many other vegetarian Indian restaurants. I've only been at lunchtime and while the service is pretty fast, the restaurant lacks atmosphere. Ok if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat they. Vegan dishes are marked on the menu, which is a definite plus point.

Pros: Vegan dishes marked on menu

Cons: Not much atmosphere, Staff could be a bit friendlier.

Average dosas, interesting drinks - Edit

We popped in here for a quick snack after our self-made raw smoothies. Ordered a paper masala dosa, a mixed vege dosa and a paneer naan. The paper dosa was really big and crispy but empty - came with a potato mixture, 2 chutneys (coconut and coriander) and the usual rassam type soup. The rassam was pretty average - not nearly as good as the one we enjoyed at Saravana Bhavan in Singapore last week. Neither of the chutneys had much flavour. The mixed vege dosa was like a crepe folded in half, soggy from the veges (mainly carrots and peas) inside. Not particularly exciting really and really difficult to eat. The naan was a bit heavy and oily, not fluffy like I like them.

Whilst nothing was 'bad' it certainly was nothing to rave about. Probably among the lower ranks of the dosas we've tried so far. Enjoyed our drinks more - I had a tamarind juice and my partner had a cumin and mint drink which was quite spicily random but exotic and something different from the usual.

Would we go back? If in the area and seriously craving a dosa, perhaps. But probably not likely.

One thing I will say is the place was FULL of indians.. couldn't help wondering what they thought of the place ;)

Pros: clean, pleasant environment, prompt service, interesting drinks

Cons: food was average

Meh... edible - Edit

Not awful, though I did think the sambar was pretty bad and couldn't get anywhere with it. Dosa was just so-so, coco chutney was alright, kind of strangely thick. Free wi-fi is offered but it's mega-slow.

Pros: edible, air-con

Cons: not great, weird service

Tasty and pricey. - Edit

I ordered the spinach and cottage cheese main dish (Saag Paneer) for 160 Bath. I've got some tasty food in appetizer size. Luckily, the neversmiling waitress was asking me, if I don't want some rice or bread along with it. So I was taking a Tandori-Roti for 20 Bath. The Mango-Lassy for 100 Bath was delicious. Clever that they don't show the food-prices on their website, they would have even more empty chairs. I felt a bit uncomfortable, like always when I pay too much for what I get. By the way, in Soi 3 (left side when you enter from Sukhumvit), there's an Indian Restaurant which offers a hole Vegetarian Thali (plate with lots of different dishes) for 300 Bath including bread and tea.

Pros: Taste, Location

Cons: Price, Size of dish

Good, Clean, Tasty Indian Vegetarian Food - Edit

I went here twice while in Bangkok last week and have been several times since it opened at its new location at Nana.

I can't understand the huge range of reviews here. I can't say it's the best in the world (I've had better in New Zealand, and India of course) and think some of these reviews are a little over the top; before it closed Taj did a very similar Dosa for a much lower price. However, it does serve great veg Indian food, has friendly and efficient service, and for its convenient location (very close to Nana skytrain station), prices are more than reasonable - comparable to a Subway sandwich up the road. Even better, the menu clearly labels vegan dishes. Especially with Taj closed, this is now my favourite restaurant in the Sukhumvit.

I don't know why someone said "partly veg, partly not veg". When I went (last week) I thought it was all veg, but I didn't specifically ask or check. Perhaps someone could confirm?

The Masala Dosas were especially good. Recommended!

Pros: Great food, well priced for Sukhumvit, Good location

Not the King of Dosa - Edit

I've lived in India for 8 years, and I have to say that Dosa King....is certainly not the King of Dosas. It's not that they were bad....just simply nothing special. Very average Dosa for a not-average price. I've had a million better dosas for one tenth of the price of these. Also the coconut chutney was pretty lame, and the Sambar was not spicy.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice decor

Cons: average food, expensive, small portions

Exceptional dosas, excellent service - Edit

While on business this year in Bangkok, I had the pleasure of dining at Dosa King perhaps 20-25 times between January-March of 2009. This was far and away my favorite restaurant in Bangkok. The service by the staff is extraordinary. I would usually walk in, nod to the owner, and immediately they would remember that I loved dosas with Diet Coke. In addition, they remembered that I liked my dosas less crispy.

I was very impressed by this level of service and attention. The food here is amazing and the air-con and decor is a good escape from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok's Sukhumvit Rd. I look forward to my next trip to Bangkok and more dosas and Diet Cokes at this top level restaurant.

Pros: Excellent, friendly staff, Delicious dosas, Nice air-con and decor

Cons: Pricy for Thai people, No alcohol avail

Dosa King is a decent place! - Edit

I agree with Andrew largely.Can't say its the best in the world but definitely in Bangkok its a very decent place for a good vegetarian Indian meal, good ambience, clean - slightly overpriced though.Safest bet so far.Do try their gol gappa's as a starter :)

The Best Indian In Asia / the World - Edit

How this restaurant scores only 2 out of 5 defies us. We have lived in India and Asia in general for years at a time and have never experienced such outstanding quality and service as that provided by Dosa King. When the first restaurant closed we were most upset. Now that part 2 has opened the universe is back in order. If anything, the quality in the Soi 11/1 site has improved. There is definitely no better quality vegetarian OR Indian restaurant in BKK, and I defy anyone to name another restaurant that is so consistently good. My wife and I spend significant periods each year in Europe, the Americas, Asia and Australia and know of no better vegetarian establishment (the only place that comes close is Restaurant Prinz Myshkin in Munich (www.prinzmyshkin.com) in terms of quality of food, service, quality and general experience. Also worth mentioning is Dosa King's ability to prepare such outstanding traditional food with very little oil. In summary, Dosa King is the best vegetarian restaurant on earth. My wife and I have dined there on at least 100 occassions and have NEVER been served a dish we would rate under 8/10. Do yourself and your family a favour and drop in (several times) to this gem of a restaurant.

Pros: Food, Service, Consistently

Cons: none, none, none

lost its mojo - Edit

tis restaurant, after its move, has lost its mojo and is not as good as it used to be. If you want a really simple place, but rock hard idlis and sometimes cold and sometimes warm food, maybe this is your thing ut I was severely disappointed

Pros: vegetarian, nice owners

Cons: so-so food

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dosa King closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3248 times since Sep 2007.