Doon Shokudo Indoyama

4 Chome-6 Ōte, Matsumoto-shi, Matsumoto, Japan, 390-0874

Serves meat, vegan options available. small Indian restaurant serving home style food. Makes a mix beans & lentils curry which comes with rice and 1 whole wheat flour chapati. At 華のうら町夢屋台はしご横丁, 4 Chome-4丁目-6-18 Ōte, Matsumoto-shi. Please send correct / exact map coordinates to happycow! Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Non-veg

First Review by Gideon_R

Cosy, homestyle dining experience - Edit

We went to this tiny yet lovely place tonight. It was pouring outside and both tables were taken. But we were invited inside anyway and had a really good homestyle lentil & bean curry and a perfect homemade chapati. The owner was incredibly friendly, bringing out plenty of stuff to taste and contributing to a cosy and hospitable Atmosphere. When we left, he offered us the leftover curry for takeaway. So nice! You should definitely check it out.

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-17

Pros: Friendly, Cosy, Everything homemade

Cons: Just 1 vegetarian option

Indoyama 20 Apr 2017 - Thank you very much.We are Japan's smallest indian home food restaurant . Not only we are serving home style food but also home feelings too .We are very happy that you are satisfied with our food and service. Hope to see you again...!!

Vegan oasis in Matsumoto - Edit

Thankyou so much to Doon shokudo Indian in Matsumoto. We are here twice in two days. Delicious food, amazing service and very cheap.
Ashish was absolutely lovely to us, giving us helpful vegan hints (he told us about a banana soy milk one day, and the next day had it there for us to try!!) His food was amazing, home style and the amount we got for the price we paid was so generous. The place is small, but perfect, (I just felt bad that I kept elbowing the window when I moved!)
Good luck with your food cart idea in the future, I'm sure it will do well! Thanks

Pros: Cheap, Tasty food, Lovely service

Indoyama 20 Apr 2017 - Thanks for coming twice.. We wants to make everyone satisfied and happy by our food and feelings .Don't feel bad I can understand your feelings ...We are very sorry because of our place is very cozy so it happens many times....Thanks for the best wishes. We hope we will serve you in your next visit to Matsumoto.

Authentic Home-Style Indian - Edit

This place most definitely deserves 5 stars! It is a small local restaurant with only two tables that offers a vegetarian and vegan curry. We had the vegan curry, which changes daily, adding more to the home-style the restaurant already has, today it was a chickpea based curry which was simply satisfying and delicious! After traveling for 3 months straight we definitely needed a homey dish and this really hit the spot, it felt as if we were eating at an Indian home where we can see and talk with the cook himself. The owner is super friendly and very passionate about cooking and deeply cares about the customer's satisfaction. We had a really nice long chat with him about everything really, but mostly cooking and eating vegan. He gave us many tips in eating vegan in Japan and even gave us free banana and coffee flavored soymilk, an extremely nice and approachable man. We wish we could return tomorrow, unfortunately they are closed on Sundays. If we are ever in Matsumoto again we will definitely be returning. I highly recommend this place for anyone looking for home-style, authentic Indian curry. Also the vegan chai was very delicious, he even let us try a black pepper variation which was so surprisingly good!

Pros: Friendly, Delicious Home Cooked, Good Price

Cons: None!

Indoyama 20 Nov 2016 - Thank you very much.We are very happy... that you are very happy by our service.We are trying to make every customer happy by ........our food and home feeling Atmosphere.Thanks once again.

Cheap, delicious, authentic, and homey! - Edit

Wish I could give this place 5 stars! (Happycow won't allow it for non-vegetarian restaurants.) Food here was awesome! Very homey Indian food at a cheap price. My bf and I both got the vegetarian curry and thought it was the best we've tried in Japan! (Usually vegetarian curries are kind of an afterthought to its meatier counterparts.) And the chapati was made to order. Also, the chef was the friendliest guy we've met during our five weeks in Japan! If I ever come back to Matsumoto I'll probably come here every meal haha. Hope this review convinces you!

Pros: Vegan and vegetarian curries available, super chea

Indoyama 18 Nov 2016 - Well , we are very happy to know that our vegetarian/vegan.... curry is the best curry you tried in japan.... thank you very much.And thank you for helping others by your valuable review. we are waiting for your next visit to Doon Shokudo Indoyama.

Excellent curry!! - Edit

Just had dinner at this fantastic restaurant. The food was absolutely 10/10, and the service was excellent. After days of craving Indian, this did not disappoint. I had the vege curry, and would recommend this to anyone chasing authentic Indian flavours.Very well priced as well. Charming restaurant, deserves 5 stars! Thank you for a great meal! and for your hospitality.

Indoyama 09 Nov 2016 - Thank you very much.we are not doing anything special......we are just cooking food like we are haveing in India at our home .And yes we believe in "customer is God "that's why we respect and try to do our best for customers satisfaction.we are really happy that you are happy by our service.Thanks once again.

Amazing food - Edit

i had the vegan curry twice and it was absolutely delicious and very filling. I would give it a 5 but the app won't let me do that. Try the chai as it was very tasty too. The owner was very kind and as the restaurant is quite small we could talk while he was cooking so a very nice atmosphere. 780 yen for the vegan curry if i remember correctly.

Indoyama 19 Oct 2016 - Thank you very much for having our vegan curry twice...?. Well , 5 ⭐️ doesn't matter,customers satisfaction matters for us & we are very happy to hear that you really like our vegan curry & vegan chai .Thanks once again. .....Yes you are right ...........780 yen for vegan/ vegetarian curry including rice & 1 whole wheat flour chapati & ....400 yen for vegan chai . We are waiting for your next visit.

Delicious Indian home cooking! - Edit

Travelling with a vegetarian we were looking for a place where we could both enjoy an evening meal. We found Doon Shokudo Indoyama on HappyCow. It's located in a food court, when you enter the court head to the right and it will be one of the stalls on the left. The food here was incredible. A simple menu including meat, vegetarian and a vegan option. I had the chicken curry and my partner had the vegetarian curry, the curry is served with rice, a poppadum and a chapatti all presented beautifully. The owner is very passionate about food and the result was in the taste, all the food was delicious. His English is excellent and as I showed interest he taught me how to cook the perfect chapatti. An extra nice touch was having the local sake while waiting for the food. Would give this place a 5* but HappyCow won't let me.

Pros: Excellent food, Large portion, Nice vibe

Indoyama 18 Oct 2016 - Thank you very much & thanks to happy cow too .By the help of happy cow i can serve both types of customers vegetarian (vegan) & non -vegetarian & atlast thank you so much for beautiful explaination of DOON SHOKUDO INDOYAMA . We are eagerly waiting for your next visit .

Delicious curry - Edit

Small place. The owner is very nice, served us drinks on the house and food refills. The vegan curry is great! Would reccomend this place for any vegan or vegeterian in Matsumoto. Notice the correct adress is the one provided in the Happy Cow description, in Japanese.

Pros: Nice owner, tasty food

Cons: Only one vegeterian/vegan option.

Indoyama 10 Oct 2016 - Thank you very much for your sweet review.... i will do my best for vegetarian and vegan menu . Thanks once again.

Return to Matsumoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Doon Shokudo Indoyama closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.