Donut Friend

• Other Other
Contact 213-995-6191

5107 York Blvd (at Eagle Rock area), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90042

DIY-style donut shop offering options to create your own donut. Mostly vegan, with options including vegan chocolate mousse, and vegan ice cream for donut sandwiches. Vegan choices are clearly marked. Open Tue-Thu 7:00am-10:00pm, Sun 7:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 7:00am-12:00am.

First Review by ParkerPixie

Transitioning to All Vegan?! - Edit

When we were there, apparently EVERYTHING was vegan including the nutella! I think some of the options you have with the make-your-own are not, but the ones in the display case were all vegan. So we died and went to indecision heaven!
My cousins and I got a few (yes few) boxes of donuts, almost getting one of each flavor, then getting a few more of our favorites we had already gobbled up to take home for later. I'm going to need that Sriracha PBJ donut again...Sugar crashed and already have withdrawals....:)

Pros: so many vegan options!, delicious, deadly

Cons: deadly

Vegan Donuts - Edit

I tried Donut Friend at the SoCal Vegfest in Costa Mesa last year and fell in love! They were at VegFest LA this year but the line was way too long for me so we decided to head over to their shop.

I asked at the counter how to tell which donuts were vegan and I was told that all donuts were vegan. There were 2 that had a vegan option (they customize your donuts for you) and there was one special that could not be made vegan. Considering all of the options available this was a pretty good ratio.

All of our choices were on the favorites menu and all were great! Definitely check them out!

Pros: Friendly staff, Fresh, Custom Creations

Cons: So close to being 100% Vegan

Smorrissey - Edit

Love my Donut Friend. My daughter have started finding excuses to go to LA so we can swing by Donut Friend and pick up some donuts.

The menu changes often but they seem to have several standard items. Most of them are vegan but not all. They do mark have them listed as such.

If it weren't a specialty place I would freak out about $2.50 for a donut, but you get what you pay for and its worth it!

Pros: Delish, Pleanty of vegan options

Cons: expensive, you do have to read or you may get honey

Becoming more vegan, super delicious - Edit

Staff said they are constantly eliminating non-vegan items and increasing their vegan-ness, so that's awesome.

Donuts here are AMAZING. That's all that needs to be said.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Vegan donuts!

Cool Little Donut Shop - Edit

We went after 11pm on a Friday night and it was packed with a line out the door. That gave us time to decide what we wanted to get. There were many vegan options (more vegan than non-vegan), and the vegan donuts had little "v" symbols next to the price. Some of the non-vegan donuts had a vegan option (marked with "vo."), but when my friend asked for a vegan version of one of their caramel donuts she was told that there was no vegan option. So be sure to clarify if you order a "vegan option" donut flavor.

I noticed that a lot of the donut names were plays on song titles or band names.
My donut was the White Chocolate Stripes, which I'm certain was an ode to The White Stripes. It was fun trying to figure out who the donuts may have been named after.

The raspberry frosting and glaze on my donut was deliciously sweet, but the donut itself was a little bit dry. I wonder if they're more moist and fresh earlier in the day, as this was very close to closing time when we went. I am willing to give them another try. The Strawberry Shortcake looked amazing. I'll go earlier in the day next time to try that one.

yum ! - Edit

Vegan donuts, coffee/latte selections, and friendly service?!? Could this place get any better?!? Seriously, I go out of my way to go here, and even when I move to Burbank soon I'll still go out of by way to here. :-)

Pros: vegan donuts !!!!

Cons: The hours

vegan options - Edit

We stopped by Donut Friend for a snack and coffee. You can either DIY or pick one of their compilations. The vegan items are denoted with an asterisk. The traditional and gluten free donuts are vegan as are all the glazes. The chocolate and vanilla cakes are not. The toppings and fillings are numerous and marked. We got the Bacon 182 with coconut bacon and the Custard Front Drive with vegan cream. Both were tasty. Dirk got an iced black coffee, but I wanted to get an au lait and asked if they had almond or soy milk as it wasn't listed on the menu. She said both which was surprising and pleasant. As we sat eating, we noticed the apple fritters in the display case and found out they are vegan, so we took them to go. Overall, it was a nice experience although I wish it was all vegan.

Pros: vegan options , good coffee

Cons: serves meat and dairy

Oh. My. Yum. - Edit

Are you kidding me? A vegan raised donut with maple glaze and coconut bacon? How did I live without this in my life? I've also had the "Fudgegazi" with vegan chocolate mousse, vegan chocolate glaze and vegan sprinkles. So good! Next time I'm going to try their vegan vanilla pastry cream. I wanted to keep eating but thought I might hate myself a little if I demolished 3 donuts.

Pros: The vegan options are plenty, Everything is delicious, Staff was sweet as honey

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Donut Friend closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1428 times since Nov 2013.