CLOSED: Donnie's Homespun

Contact 217-523-5300

107 W Cook St Ste G (at Vinegar Hill), Springfield, Illinois, USA, 62702

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe and music venue. Reported no longer serving vegan cheese for pizza, Oct 2014. Only frozen pizza. 2015 THIS OUTLET SHUT.

Category: Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by XVeganSxeX

No more vegan pizza - Edit

Donnie's has gotten rid of their menu and now only has frozen pizza, which last time I checked a few weeks ago, none was vegan. They still have hummus and pita, I believe.

Amazing Place! - Edit

What a great find as we were driving to St. Louis! Excellent and varied menu; something for everyone. He had the southwestern black bean burger and I had the sweet potato chickpea pita with coconut curry. Just spicy enough and very flavorful! Cool location and we'll be back! Ashley is a doll!!

Pros: location, outdoor seating, live music

Awesome Vegan Food and Live Music - Edit

Donnie's is very vegan friendly with many appetizers and entree's to choose from. The menu is marked with vegetarian items (which there are a lot more to choose from if you are not a vegan but a vegetarian). To start, one can get the vegan antipasto. I've gotten this twice now. It's a big appetizer, so be prepared to share. It comes with garbanzo beans, olives, giardiniera, tomatoes, garlic, spinach tossed in a pesto vinaigrette served with hummus and pita. Other appetizers include hummus, chips and salsa, and chips and guacamole.

There are two burgers on the menu, but I have not asked if they are vegan since I normally get pizza here. They include a veggie burger and a black bean burger (get both without mayo and cheese if it's vegan!). Donnie's has a number of wraps too include a hummus wrap, a Indian curry wrap, and a falafel wrap that are vegan. On their lunch menu, they have a BBQ tofu wrap as well. I've had the Indian curry wrap and the falafel wrap. I preferred the falafel to the curry wrap. I kind of was overwhelmed with the curry wrap and felt like I should be eating it with a fork as curry is intended. The flavor was good, though, as was the falafel wrap.

Now, for the exciting part: the pizza. Donnie's has Daiya vegan cheese! Be warned, the red sauce has Parmesan in it, so ask for the vegan pizza sauce. I like to build my own thin crust with a variety of veggies like tomato, spinach, garlic, basil, artichoke, mushroom, onion, etc. I'm not sure if they can make a vegan deep dish. It would be worth asking! Next time I'm in, I'll ask. For dessert, there is a vegan carob brownie!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2013/01/vegan-springfield-il-part-three.html

Pros: vegan-friendly, vegan cheese, live music

good food and good tunes! - Edit

This is a really cool restaurant. It's a lot more than just your regular pizza place. They are working every week to win over vegans! Vegan milkshakes, brownies and pizza! Different specials weekly! Also great bands play here. They are open late 7 days a week.

Pros: atmosphere, food, location

Cons: sometimes cover, servers knowledge of menus

Return to Springfield Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Donnie's Homespun closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1233 times since Oct 2012.