Don Carlos Taco Shop

• Veg-friendly
Contact 858-456-0462

737 Pearl St 113, La Jolla, California, USA, 92037

Serves meat, vegan options available. Burrito and tacos eatery. Vegans need to specify because cheese is used. Has a soyrizo filling and sometimes a vegan tamale choices with soyrizo, harvest veggie, pumpkin spice, or pina colada (call ahead to check).

Category: Lacto, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by johnsonfamilyzoo

Delicious :) - Edit

Sometimes they have vegan tamales, and when they do they are amazing. Usually I just customize my own burrito. I just ask for a burrito with rice, black beans, and whatever veggies I feel like that day. It's great!

Pros: great food, quick service

Aftert school regular - Edit

I am very happy this place is here. My son goes there after school a few times and week and loves it. He bought me home a house-made mushroom and tofu tamale twice last week and they were a wonderful treat (but definitely not thinning though!).

Awesome taco/burrito place! - Edit

We stopped here for lunch and were so excited to find it! It's the kind of place a non-local (aka me) would miss without happycow. Its a small shop that has a very extensive menu of tacos, burritos, chimichanga, nacho etc. A lot of vegetarian options. Under the menu there is a sign to let them know if you are vegan, which I did, and she rambled off all the many options she would make vegan for me. It was great! The food we had was delicious too! We had the vegan bean burrito and the vegetarian relleno burrito with copious amounts of the yummy sauces in squeeze jars on the table. They also offer some beer and soda. Friendly service in a really laid back atmosphere. My only con is that I wish I could have extended my stomach to try more!

Pros: Great selection, many vegan options, so delicious!

Awesome taco shop - Edit

This place was fantastic! I love Mexican food but am always worried about lard and stock and I felt totally comfortable eating here. I had the Soyrizo burrito and it was SO good. The owner was super friendly and chatted with us the whole time. I will definitely be coming back here next time I'm in Southern California!

Pros: Veggie-friendly!, Soyrizo, Friendly staff

Wonderful, Wonderful! - Edit

I can't believe I'm the first to review this place! Don Carlos is really this little taco stand. There are a few inside seats, but it was really stuffy inside from the kitchen- it's really tiny inside! There is lots of outdoor seating though. I didn't mind sitting outside since it was a nice day, and fun to watch everything and everyone go by.

Although they offer many meat items, there is a very good selection of vegan and vegetarian items. The menu even says to let them know if you are vegan, so they skip the cheese. The beans and rice are free of lard & broth. This is also mentioned on their menu.

I really had a hard time choosing, with all the vegan options. I think all the vegan choices made me think I was hungrier than I actually was... I got 2 different vegan tamales- one with veggies, the other with soyrizo. Both were good, but I preferred the soyrizo because it was a bit spicy. I got the tamale "meal", so it had rice and beans- both good. We also had the guac and chips. Good and the guac is vegan (some places add sour cream). Both sauces we had were good as well- a red sauce and a green sauce. They came squirt bottles, which was fun to squirt on your food.

Pros: great vegan choices, good prices, big portions

Cons: stuffy inside with little seating

Return to La Jolla Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Don Carlos Taco Shop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1702 times since Mar 2009.