Dogtown Coffee

Contact 310-310-3665

2003 Main St, Santa Monica, California, USA, 90405

Serves meat, vegan options available. Local surf and skate culture themed coffeehouse. Offers a simple food menu that includes tempeh, veggie sausage, and vegan mayonaise in wrap and sandwich. Reported Apr 2013 the labeled "vegan burrito" comes in a honey wheat tortilla and thus not truly vegan--you could request to have the filling in a bowl instead. Prices cheap to moderate. Small and casual with wall mural art and Wi-Fi, located a block from the ocean. Mon-Fri 5:30am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 7:00am-5:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by LindaSteel

Coffee shop with surprisingly strong food menu - Edit

Low key place. Great menu with something for everyone - eggs (even vegan tempeh burritos), acai bowls, bagels, etc. - without offering the kitchen sink! They also specialize in coffee, but I always enjoy their tea when I go. We've been many times, and the spot can get quite busy for breakfast on a weekend morning. Be prepared to wait a bit - nothing unreasonable, but a good 10 minutes for your food. Service is always quite friendly. Bonus: they now have an expanded outside eating area. While still a bit tight, a very nice option.

Our usual order is vegan classic burrito (tempeh, avocado, pico de gallo, whole wheat tortilla) and acai energy bowl (acai, hemp granola, banana, berries, coconut, honey). They keep the burrito simple and it is awesome! It hits the spot without making you overfull like some other burritos can. And the texture of the tempeh scramble is spot on! The avocado adds a good layer of creamy and adds to the tempeh. The acai bowl is quite sweet here, but not in a gritting way. It's not a massive one, but it fills you to keep you full for a few hours and content. The texture is not soupy like some other bowls, but a bit thicker, and it has a good amount of toppings, without having them overwhelm the acai. Not too heavy on the granola either, which I prefer!

A bit pricey but we always leave satisfied and keep going back!

Good tempeh, average coffee, doesn't know vegan - Edit

I had read this place on happycow and ate came here twice in fall of 2012 and again this week April 2013. Here's my updated Dogtown Coffee review.

This is primarily a coffee shop setup that also offers some breakfast food and sandwiches. The first time here I bought a pound of beans to take home but was unimpressed. I was only told that the beans come from a local roaster. Then I found out it was groundworks brand and was not surprised at all. Very average taste.

For the first meal here I enjoyed the "tempeh bomb" sandwich. It had a tasty marinate of vegetable on top of the tempeh and was served with a small side of pickles. The breakfast burrito vegan version with tempeh cubes inside was yummy, too. Smaller in size and cheaper than the sandwich.

The "veg-out" panini sandwich, though, I didn't like. The vegan version is made without cheese and sub veganaise. The marinate on the veggies has a slight sour taste with olives, so if you like that, then you'll like this sandwich. I personally liked the other 2 vegan options better.

I went back this week, April 2013, and to give Dogtown Coffee another try. Noticed the menu had changed: raised prices and different options for vegans. No more "veg out" panini. And in the description for the "happy vegan burrito" it states that they use a honey whole wheat tortilla. I asked the staff to check if it's real honey and the response was "yes." Shock. I informed them that honey is not vegan (cuz we all know that it comes from bees), staff just shrugged his shoulders. One told me I could get it in a bowl without the tortilla, which I did. When it arrived, egg was all over it. What?! This was clearly a lack of communication from the server to the kitchen. Had to send it back.

All in all, there is a lack of real awareness about what vegetarian and vegan diets are. While the Dogtown wants to cater to vegans, the staff just doesn't know what vegan really means (ie. don't put egg in my "vegan" food and don't state the honey is vegan). Pity. I had liked my previous meal but not this time around.

Pros: marinated tempeh in food, location near beach, outside seating

Cons: staff needs vegan education

Few, but good vegan options - Edit

Tried their 3 vegan options, and all 3 sandwiches were quite tasty and well prepared. I especially liked the wrap, although they forgot to add in the tatertot (potato hash) option which is $1 extra. They re-made it when I mentioned that, but the re-make also had no potato- still yummy. Their panini, which was $9+ could have come with a better side (just a little cup of pickled cucumbers). Overall, if you're accommodating some meat eating friends or are in the area and want coffee and something fast this is not a bad option. They also offer soy & almond milk for your coffee.
They had a couple vegan baked desserts at the time I visited, though I didn't try them.

Pros: Good sandwiches

Cons: limited for vegans

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dogtown Coffee closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1212 times since Sep 2012.