Dobhan

608-242-4448

2110 Atwood Ave, Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 53704

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modern take on Indian and Nepali cuisine with one menu page devoted to vegan/vegetarian food including edamame, steamed greens in sesame dressing, coconut-crusted tofu, couscous tagine, seitan, and brown rice. Bright atmosphere with colorful decor, in the Schenk-Atwood neighborhood. Open Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-3:00pm, Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Nepalese, Non-veg

First Review by ali.seiter

YUM YUM!! - Edit

My husband and I ate there for our anniversary, we made a resercation on a Saturday night which was good because it was busy! The owner was working and was very pleasant, telling me what on the menu was vegan. We ate Pakoda for an appetizer and they were soo good! Than dal, also sooo good! Had the coconut tofu for an entree, also soo good! This place was perfect for a nice romantic meal out, nice atmosphere and great food!!

Pros: friendly staff, lots of vegan choices, good prices

Cons: NA

Vegan Options - Edit

Good place for tasty Indian food, with a fairly large selection of vegetarian and vegan options. The staff is very helpful, knowledgable and friendly, and tries to be accommodating. Most vegetarian dishes can be prepared vegan.

Dependably excellent in fun space - Edit

One of our favorite places in Madison for dependably excellent, tasty veg and vegan meals. Fantastic tofu and seitan specialties on the regular menu. Decent and affordable wine list. Festive ambiance in elegantly decorated, open space. Daily specials. All priced very reasonably. Fun, artsy neighborhood.

A Modern Twist on Indian Food - Edit

Well-spiced, intensely flavored Nepali food; a menu offering steamed leafy greens, brown rice, tofu, and dahl; seasonal specials from farmers market vendors: that's the gist of Dobhan's perfection.

When I say Indian food, you may invision heavy curries, flatbreads dripping with ghee, an overloaded stomach, and a night spent on the toilet. However, combined with the lighter Tibetan cuisine and twisted with a modern viewpoint, Dobhan offers fresh, light, and exceptionally healthy dishes including an entire menu page devoted to vegetarian and vegan options.

I always opt for the small plate of Hariyo as an appetizer--an almost giftwrapped package-like square of steamed Asian greens including bok choy and mustard sprinkled with tamari and sesame seeds which lend a tang of umami that complements but doesn't overwhelm the natural flavor of the greens.

Earthy, bountiful in toothsome garbanzo and white beans as well as lentils, not overly spiced, simmered with tomatoes and sprinkled with basil, the dahl at Dobhan never fails to please the legume lover in me.

Amidst a 7-dish cornucopia of tantalizing vegan-friendly dishes such as coconut-crusted tofu, Moroccan tagine with almonds and couscous, and a seitan-vegetable saute, the Tofu Buff caught my hungry eye (or perhaps rather, my stomach). Served alongside a pile of short-grain brown rice, this mix of sweet caramelized onions, crunchy snow peas and zucchini, meaty mushrooms, ever-so-slightly wilted baby spinach, and strips of hearty marinated tofu formed a delectable vegan entree. If I could somehow accurately describe the amazingly savory mix of Nepali spices that permeated the tofu, believe me I would, but after slowly chewing piece after piece of drool-worthy soy and mulling carefully over each bit, I still haven't the slightest idea of which ingredients created this magical tofu. You'll have to trust me--the best tofu in Madison.

See pictures and more info at my blog: http://farmersmarketvegan.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/dobhan-review/

Pros: Stunning food, Bright atmosphere, Reliably healthy

Cons: Serves meat, Staff can be a bit slow

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dobhan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1916 times.