District of Pi Pizzeria

• Veg-friendly
Contact 202-393-5484

910 F St NW (at Penn Quarter Washington DC), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20004

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pizzeria offering Daiya vegan cheese and a vegan sausage topping.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by shoppingviv

Best Vegan Pizza in DC! - Edit

And the only place to get Chicago style vegan in the world!!

As others noted, you have to call six hours in advance as the crust needs to rise. They have vegan sausage, pepperoni, and cheese for the pizza! It is SOOOOO good!!!

Thin crust was OK - Edit

I had a business dinner here and called ahead to arrange a vegan deep dish, since I was the only vegan with the group. When I showed up there wasn't any record of it, so I got a thin crust. The staff were very helpful and happy to help assist with what was vegan and what was not. I went for a cheeseless pizza, since I don't like vegan cheese on pizza. The pizza was good as a whole, but way overly garlicky. I love garlic, but I think ordering it that day was a mistake, because it was about 1000x the amount of garlic I've ever had on anything. I guess I'd have to try it again to see if that is the norm. I would like to try the deep dish sometime. It's a very accommodating place if you are going with a group. I was able to get a vegan dinner, and another woman was able to get a gluten-free dinner. Not sure if the gluten-free is vegan though? Their website and staff are very helpful in designating vegan options.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 04, 2016

Pros: very helpful staff, clear vegan options, good place for a group/business dinner

Cons: wasn't able to get deep dish, too garlicky

Vegan cheese is common in DC- but deep dish is not - Edit

I am a bit surprised that District of Pi is listed on Happy Cow. They do offer vegan cheese, but by that measure, you'd have to list most pizza restaurants in DC. Please don't be misled by earlier reviews: Pizza restaurants offering vegan cheese (usually Daiya) is the rule, not the exception in DC. And that's been the rule for years. My favorite is Pete's Pizza, which has a few locations in the area.

You can get the thin crust pizza with vegan cheese at anytime, but it's nothing special. The real reason to go here is the Chicago-style deep dish. And the traditional pizza place atmosphere.

The Chicago style deep dish is really good, and the vegan version does seem to actually be rare. I can't find it when I'm in Chicago. District of Pi and it's original location in St. Louis are the only places I've heard of it.

That said, you must call ahead six hours to request vegan deep dish crust. So do call ahead, they will take your request and your name. Then you show up and let the host/hostess know that you've called ahead. Every single time I've done this, the host has seemed very confused and concerned, and it takes awhile for the staff to identify someone who knows what in the heck I'm talking about. Then eventually they do figure it out, and I have delicious pizza. That said, between calling so far in advance and the kind of bad service, I'm discouraged from going there very often.

If you want pizza and you are in this neighborhood, there is &pizza on E Street near 10th Street, so a block or two away. It's a much more fast food environment, but I prefer their pizza, and it's certainly cheaper.

Updated from previous review on Monday July 20, 2015

Pros: Chicago style deep dish, Barack Obama's favorite pizza

Cons: Clueless service, Must call ahead for vegan deep dish,

Best Vegan Deep Dish Pizza - Edit

We arrived at 5:30pm on a Friday night and got a table no problem. However, when we left at 6:30pm, the place was packed and there was a 30 minute wait for a table so plan accordingly.

I understand why this place is so popular because the pizza is awesome and our waitress was the best. They have daiya cheese and veggie sausage. (The veggie sausage topping is more like veggie crumbles.) They have all the vegetable toppings you can dream of. With 3 hours notice, they can make a deep dish crust for you that is entirely vegan, just call ahead and ask for it. I highly recommend this! The vegan deep dish pizza is possibly the best pizza I've had in my life.

HORRIBLE SERVICE - Edit

This pizzeria looked good and it is vegan-friendly, but as your creating your own pie and smelling the sweet aroma of freshly baked pies, you better expect to wait a good minute. My brother and I went there for an early lunch and they were packed but we got a seat. However, you didn't see servers moving around checking on their tables, all I saw was a bunch of them congregating near the bar. So for over 15 minutes, we sat at one of the high tables, directly behind the hostess (2 were on that day) to make matters worse. Not once did anyone come to bring us water, check on us, or take our order. Either they don't communicate well with each other or they didn't care. No remorse for neglecting us, the hostess acted like they didnt know we hadn't been served or attended to, when they clearly looked at us several times after we sat. I would NEVER recommend this place, even if it usually isn't like that. First impressions and SERVICE are highly important, even if their pizzas are good according to all other reviews. Judge it yourself or your better off finding something else. You can never go wrong with Chiptole and they are several in DC, if you can't think of or find anywhere else.

Cons: SERVICE , SERVICE, SERVICE

Make your own vegan pizza - Edit

Not many places offer a customizable vegan pizza on their menu. This was quite a treat for us out-of-towners. The thin crust is vegan and if you call a day or two ahead, you can request them to make the deep dish crust vegan special (they need time to let it rise). They are very accommodating and even let you do half and half if you're sharing with someone and don't double charge you for toppings. The only little thing I would change is that it was a bit greasy, but would go back for sure.

Pros: Vegan crust and vegan cheese, Customizable, Cool atmosphere, friendly

Cons: Pricey, A tad greasy

Vegan Pizza - Edit

Thin crust vegan pizza with fresh ingridients.
A little bit on the expensive site, but it's worth it.
You can preatty much costomize your pizza however you want it and they even have gluten free dough.

Pros: lots of ingridients

Best Vegan Pizza Experience EVER! - Edit

I met a (non-vegan) colleague for dinner here and was not disappointed! We enjoyed the hummus plate as an appetizer and then had a thin crust, half-and-half pizza which was (surprisingly) successful at keeping my vegan toppings and cheese completely separate from his non-vegan cheese and toppings. The server told us that if you call ahead, they will make a deep-dish vegan crust for you. Hope to try that sometime! Check out our full review on Indy Vegan Family at: http://bit.ly/15snXpl

Pros: Amazing Vegan Pizza options, great staff, Did I mention Amazing Pizza?

Mouth-numbingly best vegan pizza...ever! - Edit

OMG! I can't believe I hadn't found this place earlier. Call ahead and you can have them make a gluten-free, vegan pizza crust. Once you arrive, you can order your toppings and get a hot, mouth-watering pizza that will knock your socks off! I ordered vegan sausage, onion, green olives and portabella mushroom with vegan cheese. And, BONUS!, there are about 20+ beers on tap with many local brews...just double-check on barnivore.com or something to make sure they're vegan. Love, love, love it! I'll be back!

Pros: vegan-friendly, nice vibe, friendly staff

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has District of Pi Pizzeria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2386 times since Jun 2012.