Disgraceland

Contact 647-347-LAND

965 Bloor St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M6H 1L6

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bar and restaurant, has extensive vegetarian choices including vegan mac 'n cheese, vegan poutine, and vegan chili. Pool tables, jukebox, dartboard, board games. Draft beer.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by Ken4057

Disgraceland - not false advertising - Edit

This is the first negative review I've ever written, and I hate to write it about somewhere that caters to vegetarian and vegans, but this is some of the worst service I've ever received in my life.

We're currently here for a friend's birthday - for which we had a reservation, and we've been here for hours, and some of us are just NOW receiving our food. They've messed up our orders, food has come less-than-hot, and many other tables have come and gone before we'd even been served appetizers. We had to wait over an hour to even have drink orders taken, and have not been offered seconds.

To add insult to injury, this restaurant is cash only, does not split bills, and adds and automatic 15% gratuity on large parties.

If you want to go somewhere that accommodates meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike, there are so many better places in Toronto to go instead.

Disgraceland, indeed.

New Favourite Spot - Edit

A lot to choose from! It's so rare to find a restaurant that has multiple vegan options, and Disgraceland has a full menu that can be made vegan (except the deep fried mars bar!).
The server recommended the rib sandwich to me and I'm happy to report that it was absolutely delicious. The bbq sauce is so addictive, I'm already looking forward to eating there again. I got 'greens' on the side which was baby greens with salsa on top.
Chill atmosphere, chill servers, really enjoyable food.
Updated from previous review on Friday December 04, 2015

Lively Bar / Plenty Of Vegan Food - Edit

I went here for an evening of karaoke and veg dining with a group of veg-types. This is a dive bar on Bloor with very friendly staff and customers.

Ordered the vegan nachos which came with guacamole and a salsa. Definitely hit the spot. I love being able order more than a salad while enjoying the company of friends late at night.

Pros: many vegan options

Drool Worthy - Edit

Just thinking about the vegan rib sandwich I got here is making my mouth water.

At 10pm on a Friday night it's nice to know Disgraceland has your back with some sloppy amazing pub fare.

Also everything is either vegan or omni, and they are clearly marked :D

Pros: Very Tasty, Clearly Marked Vegan Meals

Cons: Loud

Delicious comfort pub-fare - Edit

Tons of vegan or easily veganizable dishes. I had vegan rib dinner and the ribs were delicious. I heard the ribwich sandwich was to-die-for and I can only imagine how awesome it would be with avocado/guac added to it. The popcorn tofu was also stellar. Food came super fast and excellent for bar food. The bar is a dive, very dark and dated and slightly noisy. Board games in the back. We will be back.

Pros: lots of vegan options, delicious

Cons: noisy

Solid Vegan Bar Food - Edit

Disgraceland is a bar/restaurant (as opposed to restaurant/bar). It has a hipster meets biker gang vibe.

I went to Disgraceland in December with a group of 12 people for dinner on a Sunday night. In our group there were 2 vegans, 3 vegetarians and the rest were omnivores (some of whom are dating veg*ns and are therefore open to veg food).

In short, we enjoyed this restaurant. There were board games to play while we waited for our food to arrive.
There are many vegan options, and many options are identified as veganizable.

For starters I shared the poutine supreme (which involved perogies). It was very good.

For dinner my husband and I shared 2 entrees. We got the vegan rib-wich because our server told us their ribs are really popular. This dish was really delicious and I definitely recommend it. I had salsa for my side.

The other meal we had was the vegan "butter chicken" burrito. This burrito had mashed potatoes in it, which is not mentioned on the menu. So when we chose mashed potatoes as our side with that entree, our server really should have mentioned this to us. Now, if the mashed potatoes were good I could overlook this issue. But they were not. To be clear, I DO NOT recommend the mashed potatoes. They were cold and flavourless. Several people had mashed potatoes on the side and everyone was disappointed.

The "butter chicken" bites of the burrito were really delicious, but I came across them only twice, maybe three times. The burrito was basically all mashed potatoes inside. So this dish became a bit of a disappointment. I think they should remove mashed potatoes from this burrito altogether and let the "butter chicken" shine through.

Fortunately, these are all easy tweaks for the restaurant to make. And other than the mashed potato omission, we had no complaints about the service.

My final negative review is that there did not seem to be an accessible washroom, and the place is very dark so it would be hard for someone with a visual impairment to see the menu.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Good flavour, Reasonable prices

Cons: Lack of accessibility, Mashed potato issues ;)

Great vegan pub food! - Edit

I usually end up dragging my boyfriend or friends to only vegan places because it's so miserable and frustrating trying to order most other places.

However at disgraceland I have a huge selection of vegan options for me, and my boyfriend can finally eat meats and dairy, best of both worlds.

I would also say that this is a great place for anyone thinking of trying vegan or is just curious about vegan food. It's not all just carrots and salad!

Pros: great food, cheap beer, lots of vegan options

Cons: dim lighting

Great place, good atmosphere - Edit

A grunge-y bar/restaurant serving low-cost vegan alternatives of some of the meatiest dishes around - beef sandwiches, ribs, chicken, and so on - an excellent place to bring people who normally scoff at veggie food, this should at least convert them to the point of admitting that it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference, taste-wise.

Great for vegan boozers - Edit

The owner is a vegan himself, and insists that things be either vegan or omni, not vegetarian, so there are tons of vegan items to be had with new ones in development (like vegan ribs which he let us try: deep fried soy burger patty-type strips slathered in BBQ sauce - nothing better with a pint of local beer).

We went here for brunch and dinner and drinks.

The English Breakfast vegan brunch plate was greasy and satisfying, but nothing special. Sadie's Diner has a much better greasy spoon brunch.

Dinner more than made up for brunch. We had the vegan mac n cheese, the vegan caesar salad and the vegan poutine with fried tofu. All were well worth it. The mac n cheese was light and creamy, the vegan caesar had crunchy tempeh croutons and the poutine was an indulgent mess.

It's a grungy bar, by the way, with big tables, exposed brick and a young clientele.

Definitely going back.

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Disgraceland closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1735 times since Nov 2010.